Switching back to eating meat after being vegetarian?

Options
2»

Replies

• musiche
    musiche Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Vegetarians and vegans should look at the sources of their plants. Many are grown and harvested by underpaid and overworked laborers who receive no benefits or job security. Not to mention the children working in the fields. Nothing wrong with being a vegetarian, but be careful throwing around the self-righteous ethics of the matter.

Very true, we should always be as involved with our food as possible. Knowledge is power! Ideally, I'd love to grow all my own food all the time (winter...). Otherwise, local, organic is the way to go!
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options
    musiche wrote: »
    herrspoons wrote: »
    "...but recently I've noticed that when people ask me why I'm vegetarian, I have no answer!"

This is sad to hear. There really are no reasons NOT to be vegetarian/vegan.

How about this:

FOR MY HEALTH: The Western Diet is riddled with animal products, and most of us eat animals at every meal. The Western World is riddled with heart disease, cancer and diabetes--all DIRECTLY related to our diets. These are called the "Western Diseases". Most of the world still lives on a plant-based diet (Asia, Japan, Thailand, etc..), and they suffer nearly no heart disease, cancer or diabetes. As the Western Diet infiltrates their culture, they are developing the same diseases as us. Animal protein has been proven to acidify the body, and it was proven back in the 1940's by Dr. Warburg that cancer cannot survive in an alkaline body. Plants alkalize the body (even the acidic ones like lemons) and not only prevent cancer, but have been proven stop it from growing and even reverse it. One in two of us will die from heart disease alone, which is directly influenced by the high amounts of fat found in animal foods (even the 'lean' cuts are high fat). Fat we eat gets DIRECTLY deposited into our blood without being changed at all. It is then transported via our blood to parts of our body where it will be stored immediately for use later. Your body uses glucose for energy first, then glycogen (stored glucose) and then fats and proteins (from your muscles). When you dump fat into your blood stream (especially huge amounts of it from animal products), your blood literally becomes less viscous (think of oil), and it becomes 'sticky'. It coats things in a way that prevents your cells from taking up glucose (energy). This is why after eating a meal full of animal products (which always contain a significant amount of fat no matter what) you feel tired, lazy, and often crave sweet things--even though there is sugar in your blood, your cells can't take it up fast enough because of the fat that's literally slowing everything down. Think of a cat who gorges itself on an animal carcass--they go to sleep after and digest for a day or two. Why? Because animal protein and fat are the calorie jackpot and it takes a long time to digest those things. Plants, with their low fat content and high carbohydrate content (our primary source of energy) and optimal protein (sometimes even high-protein) content are the ideal foods for us and with variety give us everything we need to survive.

FOR HUMANE REASONS: If you wanted a hamburger, would you go and kill a cow? Most of us couldn't or wouldn't, so we pay people who ARE capable of killing things without moral repercussion. The types of people who enjoy killing things on a daily basis are the people who enjoy hurting animals, who enjoy seeing pain and suffering and inflicting it. They HAVE to become numb to it, obviously. 99% of our meat is factory farmed, local or not, "organic" or not -- they're all shipped to the same slaughter houses no matter how they're raised. Pigs are more intelligent, social and affectionate than dogs, but because we don't know them, it's ok to isolate, confine, abuse and kill them. (Isolation and confinement are still organic, still local...). You don't know what your'e eating, where your money is going until you see for yourself. Meat is money, they're not in the business of making animals happy and comfortable, obviously.

THE ENVIRONMENT: The number one contributor of greenhouse gases is not cars and not people. IT'S FACTORY FARMING. Why? Because CO2 is not the biggest culprit, methane is. Methane is 21x (2100%) better at trapping heat from the sun and heating up our planet. There are 1.5 billion cows on earth right now, and all they do until they die is eat and defecate. All that poop and pee gets stored in "MANURE LAGOONS" (look that up) which are just HUGE pits of disgusting poo and pee, leaching into our atmosphere. Not to mention they leak into our waterways and oceans constantly (by mistake).

THAT IS WHY YOU'RE A VEGETARIAN. Now, go vegan and save yourself, our slaves (the animals) and the planet.

Or you could just respect her choice. Whatever.

I respect everyone's freedom of choice. But every choice should be an informed one. We're all making decisions based on what we know. She said she didn't know why she was a vegetarian. I provided three very valid perspectives to be considered.

If she still choses to eat me, so be it. I'm not going to disrespect her. This was in no way a personal attack, but information to help make informed choices.

No need to be rude.

I've seen you come trotting out how horrible meat eating is more than once around here. That's not respecting anyones choices. That's forcing your own personal beliefs on others, end of story. What OP eats is none of your business, and if you have nothing that helps her with what her goal is then kindly STFU.

Now pardon me, I have to go cook up some delicious eggs.
  • KatiePapaya
    Options
    Hey now, let's not start the big vegans VS. veggies VS. omnivores fight! Everyone is more than welcome to eat what they like! I personally don't feel like I'm getting what my body needs being vegetarian. I hit my protein goals, get enough iron, plenty of fat etc. but there's something I'm not getting. If meat once or twice a week doesn't help, then I'll switch back (and probably go see a doctor...)
  • djc315
    djc315 Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    I was a vegetarian for almost 7 years and then about 2 years ago I started to eat meat again.

I did get stomach pain for the first week of eating meat. I would just start slow if I transitioned again. What I would suggest is just start one meal a week and see how you feel. Also, there is no reason to eat meat just because you don't have a reason when people ask you why you're vegetarian. You do not need to validate your choices to anyone. If you want to be a vegetarian, then be, if you don't, then don't. I still go for vegetarian options the most often I can (I'm just not a big fan of the taste of meat), but I do not identify as a vegetarian anymore.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    SideSteel wrote: »
    "...but recently I've noticed that when people ask me why I'm vegetarian, I have no answer!"

How about this:

FOR MY HEALTH: The Western Diet is riddled with animal products, and most of us eat animals at every meal. The Western World is riddled with heart disease, cancer and diabetes--all DIRECTLY related to our diets. These are called the "Western Diseases". Most of the world still lives on a plant-based diet (Asia, Japan, Thailand, etc..), and they suffer nearly no heart disease, cancer or diabetes. As the Western Diet infiltrates their culture, they are developing the same diseases as us. Animal protein has been proven to acidify the body, and it was proven back in the 1940's by Dr. Warburg that cancer cannot survive in an alkaline body. Plants alkalize the body (even the acidic ones like lemons) and not only prevent cancer, but have been proven stop it from growing and even reverse it. One in two of us will die from heart disease alone, which is directly influenced by the high amounts of fat found in animal foods (even the 'lean' cuts are high fat). Fat we eat gets DIRECTLY deposited into our blood without being changed at all. It is then transported via our blood to parts of our body where it will be stored immediately for use later. Your body uses glucose for energy first, then glycogen (stored glucose) and then fats and proteins (from your muscles). When you dump fat into your blood stream (especially huge amounts of it from animal products), your blood literally becomes less viscous (think of oil), and it becomes 'sticky'. It coats things in a way that prevents your cells from taking up glucose (energy). This is why after eating a meal full of animal products (which always contain a significant amount of fat no matter what) you feel tired, lazy, and often crave sweet things--even though there is sugar in your blood, your cells can't take it up fast enough because of the fat that's literally slowing everything down. Think of a cat who gorges itself on an animal carcass--they go to sleep after and digest for a day or two. Why? Because animal protein and fat are the calorie jackpot and it takes a long time to digest those things. Plants, with their low fat content and high carbohydrate content (our primary source of energy) and optimal protein (sometimes even high-protein) content are the ideal foods for us and with variety give us everything we need to survive.

FOR HUMANE REASONS: If you wanted a hamburger, would you go and kill a cow? Most of us couldn't or wouldn't, so we pay people who ARE capable of killing things without moral repercussion. The types of people who enjoy killing things on a daily basis are the people who enjoy hurting animals, who enjoy seeing pain and suffering and inflicting it. They HAVE to become numb to it, obviously. 99% of our meat is factory farmed, local or not, "organic" or not -- they're all shipped to the same slaughter houses no matter how they're raised. Pigs are more intelligent, social and affectionate than dogs, but because we don't know them, it's ok to isolate, confine, abuse and kill them. (Isolation and confinement are still organic, still local...). You don't know what your'e eating, where your money is going until you see for yourself. Meat is money, they're not in the business of making animals happy and comfortable, obviously.

THE ENVIRONMENT: The number one contributor of greenhouse gases is not cars and not people. IT'S FACTORY FARMING. Why? Because CO2 is not the biggest culprit, methane is. Methane is 21x (2100%) better at trapping heat from the sun and heating up our planet. There are 1.5 billion cows on earth right now, and all they do until they die is eat and defecate. All that poop and pee gets stored in "MANURE LAGOONS" (look that up) which are just HUGE pits of disgusting poo and pee, leaching into our atmosphere. Not to mention they leak into our waterways and oceans constantly (by mistake).

THAT IS WHY YOU'RE A VEGETARIAN. Now, go vegan and save yourself, our slaves (the animals) and the planet.

I respect everyone's freedom of choice. But every choice should be an informed one. We're all making decisions based on what we know. She said she didn't know why she was a vegetarian. I provided three very valid perspectives to be considered.

If she still choses to eat me, so be it. I'm not going to disrespect her. This was in no way a personal attack, but information to help make informed choices.

No need to be rude.

The health perspective is not valid as far as a reason to abstain from meat because you cannot demonstrate a causative link between meat consumption and these so called "western diseases". There are plenty of lifestyle factors and additional differences in diet outside of meat consumption that can contribute to health markers when you compare populations.

Additionally, blood PH is tightly regulated internally. If you've got data showing that PH can be significantly altered by diet, I'd love to see it.

The health perspective is incredibly valid... I went vegan simply because I couldn't deny the truth of it anymore. I ate animals and LOVED meat for 32 years. The prior three years I was focused on high-protein paleo diet myself (and I've never been so unhealthy).

The "causative link" you're looking for is called acidosis. Animal protein acidifies our blood. Plant consumption alkalizes it. Yes, the body DOES regulate blood pH internally, and it does that by leaching calcium from our bones (also the reason osteoporosis is so prevalent in the western world). This is supposed to be a TEMPORARY fix, not a constant thing. We are designed to eat meat MAYBE a few times a week, giving our body a chance to neutralize our blood/body and return to a slightly alkaline balance. When we CONSTANTLY eat meat, we live permanent in acidosis, an that is not normal or healthy for us.

Again, the man who discovered this was awarded a Nobel Prize for it (Dr. Heinrich Warburg). Is the Nobel Prize, the greatest achievement in science, not proof enough that pH can be altered by diet, and that acidosis promotes cancer? Look up Warburg. And if that isn't enough, type in "Alkaline Diet" and you've got more links to data than you could ask for... (Just look at the 'images' section alone, that says it all).

Like I mentioned I'd be happy to see what data you have showing dietary impacts on blood PH.

It sounds to me like you're confusing the issue of urinary PH and urinary calcium losses rather than blood PH.

Here's some interesting reading:

http://journals.cambridge.org/action/displayAbstract?aid=9016507&fileId=S0007114513000962

http://www.jissn.com/content/9/1/50

http://jasn.asnjournals.org/content/8/5/784.short

• musiche
    musiche Posts: 214 Member
    Options

How about this:

No need to be rude.

I've seen you come trotting out how horrible meat eating is more than once around here. That's not respecting anyones choices. That's forcing your own personal beliefs on others, end of story. What OP eats is none of your business, and if you have nothing that helps her with what her goal is then kindly STFU.

By all means, enjoy your eggs! But it doesn't hurt to know the science of food and the human body. Everything we do should be choices made with information. You're eating eggs because... they taste good? That's completely a personal thing. It's a fact that eggs contain fat and protein, now, do you know what effect those have on your body? No, but it tastes good. But really, does an egg taste any good if you don't add fat and salt to it?

These are not my just my personal beliefs, these are proven facts. I'm not quite sure how you can get so offended and blatantly rude about fact sharing, but so be it. Forums are for sharing facts, opinions and ideas. I guess it's for trolling too, unfortunately.

What in your right mind would make you think that telling someone on the internet to STFU is respectable? On second thought, you obviously don't care about being respectable or kind, so I retract that.

Ignorance is bliss. Blissfully, enjoy your eggs. :)
  • djc315
    djc315 Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    50sFit wrote: »
    Vegetarians and vegans should look at the sources of their plants. Many are grown and harvested by underpaid and overworked laborers who receive no benefits or job security. Not to mention the children working in the fields. Nothing wrong with being a vegetarian, but be careful throwing around the self-righteous ethics of the matter.
    Vegan ethics do not extend to human death and suffering.

You are really lumping all vegans and vegetarians into one group. Almost everyone I know that eat a vegan/vegetarian lifestyle (most meat eaters, too) either grow their own food or get it local from farms. Do all? No. But lets not make assumptions on ones ethics JUST based on their choice of foods.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    You actually can buy meat that was not abused.I have two farms near me that do their own and I know for a fact that tthe animals live good and not confined, I actually worked on one, the animals were all treated well and the farm was small.

If you can, buy animals from 4H kids. Those animals are cute, got a lot of love, had names, hugs. The flavor is amazing.
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options

I would say to utilize farmers markets if you can! Benefiting local farmers, plus you can build a relationship with the person growing your food and know where it's coming from.

Funny, I've always classed my self as the kind of vegetarian who isn't self-righteous; sorry if I came across that way (and I always buy Fairtrade products when I can...)
    Farmers markets aren't a choice I have when I'm at college, I'm afraid, but the produce in the dining hall is all organic etc. (and Fairtrade. Just putting that out there.) It's definitely something I'll look into once I'm at home though! Thanks :)

I wasn't chiming in to the self righteous argument; so no worries about judgments here, @KatiePapaya! I figured I would offer a nice option since this was turning into a debate..since I think farmer's markets are the bomb diggity if you're able to get some food from one. :D I've always noticed the quality to be amazing compared to a store or a dining hall.

Also...send your dining hall people my way! Mine sources their food locally, but they don't go all out like yours!
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options

No need to be rude.

Actually, you're trying to impose your choices on her. Curious though, why would she eat you?
  • PrizePopple
    Options

How about this:

No need to be rude.

By all means, enjoy your eggs! But it doesn't hurt to know the science of food and the human body. Everything we do should be choices made with information. You're eating eggs because... they taste good? That's completely a personal thing. It's a fact that eggs contain fat and protein, now, do you know what effect those have on your body? No, but it tastes good. But really, does an egg taste any good if you don't add fat and salt to it?

These are not my just my personal beliefs, these are proven facts. I'm not quite sure how you can get so offended and blatantly rude about fact sharing, but so be it. Forums are for sharing facts, opinions and ideas. I guess it's for trolling too, unfortunately.

What in your right mind would make you think that telling someone on the internet to STFU is respectable? On second thought, you obviously don't care about being respectable or kind, so I retract that.

Ignorance is bliss. Blissfully, enjoy your eggs. :)

OP said she has no personal reasons to remain a vegetarian, so you coming in trying to guilt trip with crap like this ...

"Now, go vegan and save yourself, our slaves (the animals) and the planet."

Seriously, she didn't ask for your OPINION on why not being a vegetarian or vegan is some sort of atrocity. Step off it.
  • KatiePapaya
    Options

My university is part of the Greenspace movement, so they get pretty excited about things like recycling, Fairtrade, timing how long you shower for etc. :) And thank you! I wish people wouldn't argue about stuff like this. If you eat meat? Smashing. Don't? Good for you! I was really going more for the "Am I going about this the right way?" kind of angle...

• dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    OP said she has no personal reasons to remain a vegetarian, so you coming in trying to guilt trip with crap like this ...

"Now, go vegan and save yourself, our slaves (the animals) and the planet."

Seriously, she didn't ask for your OPINION on why not being a vegetarian or vegan is some sort of atrocity. Step off it.

Yeah, that one has some REALLY WEIRD claims and opinions. I'd ignore, not going to miss out on anything, honestly.
  • PrizePopple
    Options

My university is part of the Greenspace movement, so they get pretty excited about things like recycling, Fairtrade, timing how long you shower for etc. :) And thank you! I wish people wouldn't argue about stuff like this. If you eat meat? Smashing. Don't? Good for you! I was really going more for the "Am I going about this the right way?" kind of angle...

The school my kids go to just got done installing another solar panel array over the summer, they have a small-ish garden, compost, and the older kids keep chickens (food scraps for them are picked out before going to compost). It's awesome to see schools setting such good examples! :mrgreen:

My grandparents were both vegetarian, but my grandma cheated on occasion (when my grandpa wasn't around to see it), and I don't remember her ever having issues. Though her "cheat" was always a taco at Taco Bell, so I'm not really sure how much that counts as meat. :laugh:
  • Zohar94
    Zohar94 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    hey i am right now transitioning. and i eat meat now when i like it witch is a couple times a week. almost every time i ate meat (more than 70 grms ) i felt really sick for a couple of hours. so i am trying to take it more slow. but i love all the new tastes and textures!
  • geneticsteacher
    geneticsteacher Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    SideSteel wrote: »

The health perspective is incredibly valid... I went vegan simply because I couldn't deny the truth of it anymore. I ate animals and LOVED meat for 32 years. The prior three years I was focused on high-protein paleo diet myself (and I've never been so unhealthy).

The "causative link" you're looking for is called acidosis. Animal protein acidifies our blood. Plant consumption alkalizes it. Yes, the body DOES regulate blood pH internally, and it does that by leaching calcium from our bones (also the reason osteoporosis is so prevalent in the western world). This is supposed to be a TEMPORARY fix, not a constant thing. We are designed to eat meat MAYBE a few times a week, giving our body a chance to neutralize our blood/body and return to a slightly alkaline balance. When we CONSTANTLY eat meat, we live permanent in acidosis, an that is not normal or healthy for us.

Again, the man who discovered this was awarded a Nobel Prize for it (Dr. Heinrich Warburg). Is the Nobel Prize, the greatest achievement in science, not proof enough that pH can be altered by diet, and that acidosis promotes cancer? Look up Warburg. And if that isn't enough, type in "Alkaline Diet" and you've got more links to data than you could ask for... (Just look at the 'images' section alone, that says it all).

Curr Opin Clin Nutr Metab Care. 2010 Nov;13(6):698-702. doi: 10.1097/MCO.0b013e32833df691.
    Acid diet (high-meat protein) effects on calcium metabolism and bone health.
    Cao JJ1, Nielsen FH.
    Author information
    Abstract
    PURPOSE OF REVIEW:

Update recent advancements regarding the effect of high-animal protein intakes on calcium utilization and bone health.
    RECENT FINDINGS:

Increased potential renal acid load resulting from a high protein (intake above the current Recommended Dietary Allowance of 0.8 g protein/kg body weight) intake has been closely associated with increased urinary calcium excretion. However, recent findings do not support the assumption that bone is lost to provide the extra calcium found in urine. Neither whole body calcium balance is, nor are bone status indicators, negatively affected by the increased acid load. Contrary to the supposed detrimental effect of protein, the majority of epidemiological studies have shown that long-term high-protein intake increases bone mineral density and reduces bone fracture incidence. The beneficial effects of protein such as increasing intestinal calcium absorption and circulating IGF-I whereas lowering serum parathyroid hormone sufficiently offset any negative effects of the acid load of protein on bone health.
    SUMMARY:

On the basis of recent findings, consuming protein (including that from meat) higher than current Recommended Dietary Allowance for protein is beneficial to calcium utilization and bone health, especially in the elderly. A high-protein diet with adequate calcium and fruits and vegetables is important for bone health and osteoporosis prevention.

PMID:
    [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
  • geneticsteacher
    geneticsteacher Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Curr Opin Clin Nutr Metab Care. 2010 Nov;13(6):698-702. doi: 10.1097/MCO.0b013e32833df691.
    Acid diet (high-meat protein) effects on calcium metabolism and bone health.
    Cao JJ1, Nielsen FH.
    Author information
    Abstract
    PURPOSE OF REVIEW:

Update recent advancements regarding the effect of high-animal protein intakes on calcium utilization and bone health.
    RECENT FINDINGS:

Increased potential renal acid load resulting from a high protein (intake above the current Recommended Dietary Allowance of 0.8 g protein/kg body weight) intake has been closely associated with increased urinary calcium excretion. However, recent findings do not support the assumption that bone is lost to provide the extra calcium found in urine. Neither whole body calcium balance is, nor are bone status indicators, negatively affected by the increased acid load. Contrary to the supposed detrimental effect of protein, the majority of epidemiological studies have shown that long-term high-protein intake increases bone mineral density and reduces bone fracture incidence. The beneficial effects of protein such as increasing intestinal calcium absorption and circulating IGF-I whereas lowering serum parathyroid hormone sufficiently offset any negative effects of the acid load of protein on bone health.
    SUMMARY:

On the basis of recent findings, consuming protein (including that from meat) higher than current Recommended Dietary Allowance for protein is beneficial to calcium utilization and bone health, especially in the elderly. A high-protein diet with adequate calcium and fruits and vegetables is important for bone health and osteoporosis prevention.

PMID:
    [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

• FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    The "causative link" you're looking for is called acidosis. Animal protein acidifies our blood. Plant consumption alkalizes it. Yes, the body DOES regulate blood pH internally, and it does that by leaching calcium from our bones (also the reason osteoporosis is so prevalent in the western world).

LMAO, uhm... no. Just no. This is wrong. Everyone in this thread should persist in understanding that this is wrong unless you're able to provide actual evidence that it's true. Here's a study that says the opposite.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20717017
    Neither whole body calcium balance is, nor are bone status indicators, negatively affected by the increased acid load. Contrary to the supposed detrimental effect of protein, the majority of epidemiological studies have shown that long-term high-protein intake increases bone mineral density and reduces bone fracture incidence. The beneficial effects of protein such as increasing intestinal calcium absorption and circulating IGF-I whereas lowering serum parathyroid hormone sufficiently offset any negative effects of the acid load of protein on bone health.

SUMMARY:

On the basis of recent findings, consuming protein (including that from meat) higher than current Recommended Dietary Allowance for protein is beneficial to calcium utilization and bone health, especially in the elderly.