Do you splurge when you're sick?

Options
I've had a cold for the past few days, and have been very inactive because I feel like crap. This evening I couldn't find anything that remotely looked appetizing for dinner, so I had ice cream. Breyer's Mint Oreo, to be exact...I thought the mint would be soothing (and I was right!) and I ended up eating about 5 servings for dinner...really, not many more calories than I would have eaten for dinner anyway, and I ended the day barely over.

When you're sick, do you pretty much eat whatever you want, if you even feel like eating at all?

Replies

• ShortMrsN
    ShortMrsN Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I generally struggle with eating when I have a cold :neutral_face: I will eat whatever I can get down in the quickest time with the least amount of effort!
    I actually prefer to drink my food when I'm sick so a lot of soups (usually the instant kind if I have any) and coffee!!
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    no.
  • Chezzie84
    Chezzie84 Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    I eat what I want anyway.
    But when I am poorly, it tends to be less of it. I never feel like eating.
  • annette_15
    annette_15 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    I always feel sorry for myself when I'm sick and will let myself comfort eat a little if I feel like it
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I eat what will make me feel better. It's usually under calories but way over on sodium (broths). The last bad cold I had was a year ago and I ate Freeze Pops, beef/chicken broths, and Wheat Thins for 4 days.
  • Skinny_minny_mo
    Skinny_minny_mo Posts: 1,272 Member
    Options
    i do too - i kinda figure that i'm barely eating (tend to lose my apetite when i'm ill) so i have things like ice cream etc :)
  • v_woolf
    v_woolf Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    yep!! I'll do whatever makes me feel better to help me get better asap and get back to theg gym.

I also subscribe (perhaps a little too enthusiastically) to the old wives tale: "feed a cold, starve a flu".
  • psychjunkie16
    psychjunkie16 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Yep, my thoughts are that if I eat when I'm sick, I'll get better sooner. However, "eat" and "eat healthy" are two entirely different things :)
  • SteampunkSongbird
    SteampunkSongbird Posts: 826 Member
    Options
    Not exactly, but because I'm less likely to want to cook something when I feel like crap, I'm more likely to eat whatever ready-made junk is in the house. If I'm feeling really ill and there's a bit of ice cream in the freezer and sugar cereal in the cupboard, I'm gonna have those rather than stand around in the kitchen cooking. I still try to make things fit into my daily calories though.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    It depends on the nature of the illness. I tend to eat more when I don't make it to the gym though, so there is that. I still try and get some healthy food in when I am ill though, regardless, including my regular protein/vegetable based dinner.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    I haven't had a cold since I started, but it would eat extra if I did. Colds are miserable and I'd give my body whatever it wanted to help it fight off a cold.
  • habit365
    habit365 Posts: 174
    Options
    I usually feel like eating oranges or hot food like soup when I am sick, so it doesn't really count as a splurge except on the sodium front.
  • DiabolicalColossus
    DiabolicalColossus Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    No. Mr. Colossus has to insist that I eat.

Left to my own devices, I'd just drink tea and vegetable broth until I was done being ill.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I'm a little more lenient with myself when sick, but I have to keep a rein on it because I'm sick a lot and it can quickly turn into weeks of indulgence.
  • bluntlysally
    bluntlysally Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    eat and log, not worrying too much about what it is. i tend to lose my appetite, so getting any calories to get energy is good. when my appetite changes i know i am starting to get on the mend.

also, trying extra hard not to get dehydrated (happens more when sick) so the eating is hunger and not thirst.