DOMS lifters?

Options
Hey,
So I had a pt session on Thursday, I can admit I did push myself, but it didn't fill like I went over my limit. Anyway I have the worst DOMS in my right arm (seriously, only my right arm).
Anyway, it's still awful today (Sunday) and I was just wondering if anyone had tips for helping shorten the amount of time/ reduce the pain? Massage helps but only briefly.
Tia

Replies

• whilehesaway
    Options
    I've heard that making sure you're hydrated, and are having enough protein can help. But I haven't been doing it long enough to be an expert :) I'm sure there are other people here that have tips.

The first PT session I had I was in so much pain for days, but since then even though weights have been getting bigger, I haven't ever been that bad. So hang in there :p
  • Chrisparadise579
    Chrisparadise579 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Do some stretching or myofascial release, in other words find a tennis ball or baseball and slowly roll it over the sore area and apply alot of pressure, It should be mostly gone for the rest of the day.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    Only real solution is time but if it doesn't get better soon you might want to have it examined. You might have more than DOMS if it doesn't resolve in the next couple days. I would also avoid messaging it but just stretch and apply ice.
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options
    Really just stick to it for the most part. Some stretching & SMR can help relieve tightness but the soreness is more of a result to the micro-damage related to strength training. Just stick with it and your body will adapt as you go which will help you to get stronger and experience less soreness.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Stretching, foam rolling, and epsom salt soaks help.

For prevention in the future: drinking enough water, eating enough protein, and doing enough warm-up/cool-down, as well as the above.
  • v_woolf
    v_woolf Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    the best doms cure is to go back to the gym and go right back at it with whatever caused the problem.

unless it's not doms and it's something more serious, in which case, you need R&R.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    warm up properly, stretch and cool down after a work out. get to know and love your foam roller.

i find that some cycling can usually help relieve some discomfort in my legs, and swimming for my arms and back.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    i find that some cycling can usually help relieve some discomfort in my legs, and swimming for my arms and back.
    This is basically how I address my DOMS.

Unless it's my obliques, then I'm just boned.
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    Unless it's my obliques, then I'm just boned.

Ha ha, that's the worst. I've strained mine a couple times, *kitten* evvverything else up. lol
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    Can't even laugh when you get them borked nice and hard. lol.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    warm up properly, stretch and cool down after a work out. get to know and love your foam roller.

• marleycarla
    marleycarla Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I have my bachelor's degree in Exercise Science so here's the gist of research on it.

There is nothing you can do to make it for away quicker. There are a few studies showing caffeine may have shortening effects, so you could try a coffee or red bull right before PT or after.

Stretching, massage, and ice will make it feel temporarily better, but won't fix the problem. They don't get deep enough in the tissue.

It shouldn't last more than 3-4 days, and shouldn't keep occuring after you have worked a muscle group more than 3 times consistently without a large break of time. If it is, you should contact a doctor. Also ask you PT for advice.

Always take at least 48 hours in between strength training a muscle group to avoid muscle damage.