Doing so well at home, nervous about oncoming scifi convention!

Options
Camilleathome
Camilleathome Posts: 99 Member
edited October 2014 in Health and Weight Loss
Hey guys. So I'm on day nine of fully logging, being under calorie goal and NO Junk food(Not counting one ham on honey out sub from subway). I'm pretty proud of myself because I am very addicted to junk food(Mainly chips, Mcdonalds and such). Now I live in the middle of nowhere so it's much easier to stay away from temptation. (Its a 25 minute walk to the nearest grocery store compared to living right next door to one back in the city)

Now In about two weeks, I'm heading to Hal-con in Halifax. This weekend I'm having a mini test run. I have to go to the city with a friend(Thankfully one who is losing weight and eating healthy also so she hopefully will not tempt me, like I was doing to her previously lol) to get extra interfacing for a friends costume and do a final fitting on another friends corset.

I am super nervous about going to this convention for two big reasons. One is of course all the temptation for junk foods and fast food. The other is that I'm anemic and If I wait too long without food I get super shaky, light headed and you get the idea.

1. Does anyone have any suggestions for someone staying in a hotel and going to a con on how to eat healthy and stay away from temptations.

2. Does anyone have any suggestions on healthy snacks that I might be able to keep with me so I'm both not crashing due to my anemia and also not getting so hungry I'm more likely to succumb to temptation?

Friday I'm going to be Voldemort and will have a full face prosthetic which makes it hard to eat anyway and Saturday most of the day I will be Ursula with a metal boned corset so most junk food with a corset is a bad idea anyway if I don't want to get sick.

Replies

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    You don't need to do anything except stay in a deficit. Pre-log your meals and you'll be fine.
  • KJ4health
    KJ4health Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Awesome job! If you have a smart phone definitly download the app!
    Somethings i do is pack cut up veggies and fruit and take different nutrition bars. I even take a gallon jug of water to have in the car when I travel.
    I will put cut up cucumber, carrots or sugar snap peas in a bag, cut up apples and almonds, cliff or luna bars, raisins and nuts. I take a container of natural peanut butter to use at the breakfast they may have. Take an extra piece of fruit with you for the day.
    Just decide you are not going to eat anything that is not on your plan per say.
    Awesome costume ideas!!!
  • Camilleathome
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Pre-logging is hard though since we are going to mainly have to rely on restaurants and I don't really know where we are going to eat in advance since I am at the mercy of my friends for where we are going.

Con time is usually where each friend takes their turn picking a restaurant and I'm not very knowledgeable about Halifax.

Thankfully I know at LEAST one of these restaurants is going to be a sushi place.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    You don't need to do anything except stay in a deficit. Pre-log your meals and you'll be fine.
    This. If you're worried, see if you can pack some food with you in a cooler and then in a fridge if the hotel has one. Otherwise, just stay in a deficit or take the few days off from dieting and get back onto when you're home. Enjoy the convention, we just had one in September and I wasn't able to go because of school work :( Missed meeting Gunn and Fred, like COME ON :(

But like Lis said, it's all about a deficit. If you look through my diary, you will see I regularly eat junk food. Because my deficit is very reasonable, I am able to easily fit junk food into my day while also eating other "healthy" foods to meet my macro needs. I'm just starting my diet break though hence the higher goal for today (and the week), but it's the same concept. eat what you love and just be mindful of calories/macros.
  • Camilleathome
    Options
    Thanks KJ4Health. I will make sure to pack three days worth of snacks for sure. those are great ideas. I have a few bento boxes here I can most likely pack. I also promised a friend some pumpkin drop cookies so I will stay away from those and just shove them in her face lol. (Thankfully Sweets are not my weakness) Ill have to make sure i have icepacks too.
  • Camilleathome
    Options
    Thanks Ana. I'll try my best to stay under goal. Though I will need to keep into account the fact that Im walking and on my feet almost all day which means I will be allowed extra calories for that day also.
  • Neikella
    Options
    Non-perishable whole foods. low sugar granola bars with pumpkin seeds and other nutritional ingredients are good, even if they only make up a part of your diet replacing at least some junk food (which won't kill you to eat it, or at least a bit.) Apples and the like will keep for a while, but are probably easier eaten while your at your hotel room rather than being kept on your person at the con.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    Thanks Ana. I'll try my best to stay under goal. Though I will need to keep into account the fact that Im walking and on my feet almost all day which means I will be allowed extra calories for that day also.

How long have you been in a deficit for? Honestly I'd just focus on having fun, and for me I'd only log protein sources to make sure I hit my protein goals. But if you don't track macros, then might as well just eat without logging. A few days won't make you gain weight :)
  • thingofstuff
    thingofstuff Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I'm all about the giant bag of pre-cut celery sticks. If it is feasible, do it. I managed to avoid chips while camping via this method (my cooler ran out of ice the first day and the celery lasted 4 days just fine kept out of the sun). Also Grissol lemon thins or any of their teeny tiny thin loaf snack packs are great low cal options for keeping fullish, but not having to open your mouth wide. They are staple snack of mine at shoots when the final lipstick is already on and I have to just wait around. Once you're there, getting a tub of grape tomatoes from a grocery store is another easy, non-wide opening mouth snack too. Bulk nuts from a grocery store are also easy, if you don't have allergies of course. Good luck and have fun.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    Options
    Pre-logging is hard though since we are going to mainly have to rely on restaurants and I don't really know where we are going to eat in advance since I am at the mercy of my friends for where we are going.

Con time is usually where each friend takes their turn picking a restaurant and I'm not very knowledgeable about Halifax.

Thankfully I know at LEAST one of these restaurants is going to be a sushi place.

One thing you could do is to take the time in advance to research area restaurants. Just look up what's available, make a list of likely places, and check out any available menus online and make a list of acceptable meals. That way you're at least somewhat prepared.

For snacks, just think about things that don't have to be refrigerated. Fruit, nuts, jerky or otherwise processed meats (if you don't mind the sodium, nitrates, etc.), protein bars....think protein and fiber. Break them up into individual servings and put them in baggies so you don't have to worry about how much you're snacking. Mark the calories on the bag. Or just buy individual serving bags, like 100 calorie snack packs.

• sentaruu
    sentaruu Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    as suggested above, pack yourself some healthy snacks but don't worry about enjoying yourself while you're out there. I'm not saying don't eat sensibly, but if you happen to have something "bad", so be it. log it to the best of your ability and move on!
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Have fun and log what you can. Since you'll be eating restaurant food, if it's a chain, you can usually look up the nutritional information on their website. And MFP's database should have alot of those chain restaurant meals in there.

I wouldn't worry so much about your deficit while you're there. I mean, if you can hit your goal, great. But if you go over, it's not the end of the world. You know that this event is a temporary thing. So just enjoy it and then when you get back home, go back to your regular deficited eating program ;)
  • shifterbrainz
    shifterbrainz Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Is it just a weekend? I suggest trying to keep things in perspective. 3,500 calorie = 1 pound body weight. It's pretty hard to eat that many EXTRA calories in one weekend with out really trying. The stress will be much worse physically and emotionally from any worrying you do about it. One "trick" might be to make a point to leave some of every food one your plate. You decide how much; i.e 1, 2, 3 spoons of each. Whatever you feel happy about. I suggest enjoying the weekend's fun and not distract by worrying. Get back on track when you get home, and life is good! Best wishes :)
  • Camilleathome
    Options
    Thanks guys! Im super excited for this four days of fun!(Including the day before with the pre-halcon event.(Scifi burlesque show)
  • shifterbrainz
    shifterbrainz Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    You can do it and have loads of fun too :)
  • Camilleathome
    Options
    I plan to. this is one of the rare times of the year I get to see all of my friends and we are all sharing hotel rooms together and helping each other out with makeup and costumes.
  • Camilleathome
    Options
    By the way I have photos of Voldemort and Ursula in my profile if any of you want to see them!