Breakfast

Options
tracyfance
tracyfance Posts: 1 Member
What do you guys eat for brekkie that fills you up until lunch but is low fat, low cal but tastes great? I've been having poached egg on toast with mushrooms and spinach but it is quite high when I am only allowed 1200 Kcal per day. I also would like to get some of my 5-a-day into it too.

Replies

• LeahFerri
    LeahFerri Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I think your best bets are probably high fiber, high protein. So some sort of low-fat-content meat and a vegetable, or egg whites and a vegetable. That's assuming you insist on staying within your low-fat low-calorie guidelines. Not sure what you mean by 5-a-day, so I can't address that.

I know that it's hard to stay within 1200 calories. I've tried it and personally found it unsustainable. I set mine at 1540, which seems completely arbitrary (I set almost a year ago, so it's hard to remember exactly why I chose that number), but somewhere around 1500 generally works for me. The extra 300 calories make it a LOT easier to choose things that have more substance and not have them look so scary as they take out a huge chunk of your day.

I definitely prefer fat and protein-based breakfasts. Lately I've been having a chicken sausage and an egg with a bottled coffee (you can look at my diary). It's more calories than the [two slices of toast and a coffee] breakfast I was eating up until relatively recently, but it's MUCH more likely to keep me going until lunch without feeling like I really need something else.

The pinnacle of this philosophy is the sausage-egg-and-cheese on a croissant from Dunkin Donuts (in my diary a few times). If you look at the days that I eat it for breakfast, you can see I often don't eat again until dinner. It's a substantial number of calories, so it looks scary to put it in (and would look scarier on 1200 calories!), but it's very sating.
  • cloudsrest
    Options
    Here's one of my favorites for breakfast (or anytime really). I know sardines can be a bit scary for some folks, but the avocado really balances out the fishiness. Sardines have as much protein (by weight) as a steak, tons of anti-inflammatory Omega-3s, vitamin D(!), loads of calcium- they're a true superfood. Sometimes I'll substitute a homemade cauliflower pita for the bread for less calories/carbs and more nutrients (vitamins, antioxidants as well as even more Omega-3s also doubles as a great pizza crust).

Sherried Sardine Toast

This'll make 4 servings so feel free to adjust accordingly!

Ingredients
    2 (3.75-ounce 2-layer) tins brisling sardines in olive oil
    2 tablespoons finely chopped parsley leaves, divided
    1 tablespoon sherry vinegar (if you cant find the sherry, white wine vinegar is OK)
    1/4 teaspoon lemon zest, reserve the lemon and cut into 4 wedges
    Freshly ground black pepper
    4 (1/2-inch) thick slices crusty bread, such as sourdough OR cauliflower pita
    1 ripe Hass avocado
    Coarse sea salt

Directions
    Drain the oil from 1 tin of sardines into a small bowl and set aside. Drain the oil from the other tin into another small bowl and whisk in 1 tablespoon of parsley, vinegar, lemon zest, and black pepper, to taste. Add the sardines, stir to combine and set aside for up to 1 hour. I like to let it sit for a little while so I'll do about a 20min body-weight workout (or not haha)

Put a rack 3-inches from the broiler and heat the oven to the broiler setting on high. Brush each slice of bread on 1 side with the reserved oil. Put the bread, oil side up, onto a cooling rack set inside a half sheet pan (a cookie sheet works fine too) and broil 2 to 3 minutes or until golden brown and crisp.

Halve the avocado and remove the pit. Smash the flesh in each half with a fork.

Spread the avocado evenly onto the toasted bread. Top evenly with the sardines. Pour any remaining dressing on top and garnish with the remaining parsley.

Season lightly with sea salt and serve with lemon wedges.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Low cal and low fat =/= being full for me. I eat 1/3rd of my daily net calories for breakfast, or ~630 calories. I also can easily wind up eating half of my fat goals at breakfast.

My diary is open to see what I usually eat. yesterday I tested out eating more at lunch than at beakfast/dinner... did not work well for me.

you're also not eating enough food. I have links on my profile to calculate your maintenance needs. From the first 2 links, subtract 20% (with only 26lbs to lose, you do not need to be losing 2lbs/week) for a ~1lb/week goal. If you use NEAT method of logging and eating back exercise, then calculate without including exercise and eat back your exercise cals. If you are exercising but are not eating back exercise cals, then calculate your TDEE by including your average weekly exercise into the equation so that you will automatically have your exercise calories included into your daily consumption.

I use the NEAT method now, before I was using TDEE method. So if you go back to e.g. August you will see that I was not logging exercise becaues it was already included in my calorie estimate. I now log and eat back exercise and prefer this method.
  • carcarxx94
    carcarxx94 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Have you tried oatmeal? I know it sounds simple but a bowl of oatmeal made with water is very filling, low cal and you can top it with whatever you like. I make sweet and savoury oatmeal, where if sweet I add things like banana (also filling), chia seeds (high fiber and a dose of healthy fats), prunes, figs, raisins etc. But if you're looking for even lower cal choose low cal fruit such as apples, strawberries, blueberries, pear, grapes etc.
    For savoury oatmeal my favourite toppings are tuna, shredded crab, nuts, soy sauce, spinach, shredded carrots and egg whites. :)

If you don't like oatmeal, my go to breakfast is a serving size of chia seeds (about 15g), some cereal, approx. 125g of fat free greek yoghurt and some fruit (as listed before). This is high protein, high fiber and low fat, where having the yoghurt is much more filling than say having it with milk.
  • asgerdur1994
    Options
    1 cup course grained oats & 2 cups water, mash a half banana and mix all together and put in microwave 2-3 minutes, then add milk (or protein drink) and coconut chips :smile:
  • Boccellin
    Boccellin Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I have a gigantic egg white omelette. 6 eggwhites=102 calories, 4 cups raw spinach, wilted down=28 calories. 150 grams mushrooms=33 calories. Half red bell pepper=16 calories. Grand total for this enormous omelette? 180 calories. You can even add a light sprinkle of cheese to get to 200 if you want. I add hot sauce for an extra kick. This fits in with any calorie goal, and it's incredibly filling.
  • SomeNights246
    SomeNights246 Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    I find oatmeal with some kind of protein source usually keeps me full the longest.
  • sburk64
    sburk64 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    1/2 to 1 cup egg beaters with a 1/2 cup of veggies and 1 apple chicken sausage = from 136 to 186 and keeps me full longer. I mix ahead on a Sunday all my veggies and saute them in 2 tbsp of olive oil so I have them for the week.
  • yayamom3
    yayamom3 Posts: 939 Member
    Options
    My current favorite breakfast is chia seed pudding made with light coconut milk. I absolutely love tapioca pudding, and this tastes very similar to me. I put fresh or canned fruit on top. One 14 oz can light coconut milk, 1/3 C chia seed, 1 T sweetener of your choice (I use Splenda), 1/3 t cinnamon. Mix it up, let it sit in the fridge overnight, then top with fruit of your choice (I'm having peaches this morning). This keeps me full until lunch.

This recipe makes 2 servings at 213 calories per serving.