P90X SUSBTITUTE...

Options
for anybody doing 90x... i HATE the yoga part of it. a few ppl i have talked to say that they just sub it with a different dvd. im thinking of subbing my yoga night with plyo. i havent done plyo yet. just curious... does anybody else substitute any other ones for the ones they dont do.

Replies

• dfresh050
    dfresh050 Posts: 15
    Options
    you havent done plyo yet??? you'll love it its awsome!!!
  • CanuckLove
    CanuckLove Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    I can't stand yoga either so those days I'm just gonna run LOL
  • mishelnkiki
    mishelnkiki Posts: 775 Member
    Options
    no im doing the lean sequence. i do synergistics mon, cardio tues, arms and shoulders wed, yoga...blah thurs, legs and back fri, keno p sat and rest sun. im not a fan of jumping tho. lol. and i know that there is a TON of jumping in plyo. NOT the most coordinated with two feet on the ground. let alone off the ground. lol.
  • johnwhitent
    johnwhitent Posts: 648 Member
    Options

Agreed! Plyo-X is great, my favorite.

But yes, I do substitute some of the cardio. Tabata Inferno and Cardio Challenge from Supreme 90 are both great! And they run less time, about 45 minutes including warm up and cool down. I might try another yoga if I could find something in the 30 to 45 minute range. 90 minutes? Too much!
  • mishelnkiki
    Options

Agreed! Plyo-X is great, my favorite.

But yes, I do substitute some of the cardio. Tabata Inferno and Cardio Challenge from Supreme 90 are both great! And they run less time, about 45 minutes including warm up and cool down. I might try another yoga if I could find something in the 30 to 45 minute range. 90 minutes? Too much!
    AGREED!!! i only attempted it once, made it 45 min into it. no way in heck i wanna spend an hour and a half doing stupid yoga! however, i do sweat my *kitten* off doing it. lol.
  • mamareese
    mamareese Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    Just a humble opinion here :smile: but Yoga is for core work, balance, and switching up the way you normally work your body. I absolutely detest p90x yoga...it's too darn long and the moves are impossible. I switch mine out with a shorter yoga dvd so the overall concept is still there but less of it.

Edited to add that I had someone suggested Jillian Michael's Yoga as a sub.
  • RNewton4269
    RNewton4269 Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    My one friend who does P90X is about to give it up I think because it isn't doing anything for her. She is already pretty tonned but she tells me all the time after a workout that she can't ever feel anything afterwards...no burn...no sore muscles no nothing. She will probably stick with it knowing her...just for the toning feature...she is already like the Energizer Bunny...and looks amazing!
  • mrmarius
    mrmarius Posts: 1,802 Member
    Options
    i used to substitute with cardio x. it has some yoga at the begining but its nowhere near as bad as yoga x.
  • RNewton4269
    RNewton4269 Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    I am not brave enough yet to tackle P90X.
  • 3aBadkids
    3aBadkids Posts: 78
    Options
    I tried Yoga X....ended up replacing it with Cardio X or Core Synergistics. I'm doing round 2 of P90X and one of these days I will try to do Yoga X...hopefully I will learn to like it.
  • mishelnkiki
    Options
    I am not brave enough yet to tackle P90X.
    it is pretty intense, but personally, i actually sat there the other night and watched the clips that are on after the dvd is over, and caught a glimpse of the turbo fire... and i think that looks HARD CORE! im actually thinking about getting that after i finish with the p90x. i think it works. im seeing results. but im not tones at all. and if she is, then i can why she would say that. im not really losing any weight from it (getting ready to finish week 3) BUT... i am noticing a difference in inches, and my arms look a lil more defined. but i also take classes, and do gym work everyday too. so its hard to tell. i do a pretty intense workout per day. but so far, i like it... OTHER then yoga x! ICK!
  • mishelnkiki
    Options
    I tried Yoga X....ended up replacing it with Cardio X or Core Synergistics. I'm doing round 2 of P90X and one of these days I will try to do Yoga X...hopefully I will learn to like it.
    i HATE it. if it was just an hour, i might be able to grit my teeth and just suck it up. but seriously... an hour and a half! WAYYYY too much!
  • glfprncs2
    glfprncs2 Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Just do the first 45 minutes...IMO, that's the most important part of YogaX (and the toughest!). Yoga IS important to your overall fitness and flexibility. It will also help keep you injury free. I do not recommend replacing it with a high impact cardio workout...it has a purpose. Your head may not like it, but your body will.

Oh...and it took me TWENTY WEEKS of P90X in order to appreciate YogaX. Yep...twenty!
  • MamaMonkey
    Options
    Seriously, you just might want to follow the program. They have it set up in a specific order for you. YogaX is long, but well worth it. I'm about 200 times more flexible than I have ever been. The balance poses have helped in plyo, legs and back, kenpo, you name it. The burn in the first 1/2 hour is great. Just do it for like 3 weeks, you'll see the difference for sure!
  • Stooooo
    Stooooo Posts: 1,191 Member
    Options
    Just a humble opinion here :smile: but Yoga is for core work, balance, and switching up the way you normally work your body. I absolutely detest p90x yoga...it's too darn long and the moves are impossible. I switch mine out with a shorter yoga dvd so the overall concept is still there but less of it.

Edited to add that I had someone suggested Jillian Michael's Yoga as a sub.

Have to completely agree here. Yoga is a very important part of the program. Tony put out a DVD in the One on One series, called Fountain of Youth. I have not personally done it, but I have heard great things about it and it is not nearly as long. It is one of the next things I am going to order, I miss doing Yoga.
  • garmfield
    Options
    I do sub it sometimes especially on the recovery weeks when you have to do it twice! :) Cardio X is a nice sub because it will still give you 15 min of yoga, and then some good calorie burn. You can also get the one on one Yoga Fountain of Youth which is only 45 minutes. Today I did Abs/core plus for 20 min and 40 min of Yoga X.

If anyone is doing p90x or interested in starting, check out my thread on teambeachbody for beginners. It will give you a lot of encouragement and advice.

http://teambeachbody.com/connect/message-boards/-/message_boards/message/96232119

Greg
  • Iffer75
    Iffer75 Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    Just do the first 45 minutes...IMO, that's the most important part of YogaX (and the toughest!). Yoga IS important to your overall fitness and flexibility. It will also help keep you injury free. I do not recommend replacing it with a high impact cardio workout...it has a purpose. Your head may not like it, but your body will.

Oh...and it took me TWENTY WEEKS of P90X in order to appreciate YogaX. Yep...twenty!

I absolutely agree with you. If Tony were to do just one workout for the rest of his life, he would choose Yoga. Whether it be Yoga X or some form of Yoga. "It is the fountain of youth." That is what he always says. You can YouTube it. It took me 11 weeks to finally get it. It just takes patience and I promise you will come out a better person having done it. :bigsmile:
  • betterthanmama
    betterthanmama Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I understand the hate towards yoga x but if you are going to replace it please replace it with another yoga dvd. I know yoga doesn't burn calories like running, but that is not what the yoga is for. I am on week 5 and have been able to do a lot more moves then the first week where I was stumbling and dying.

If you don't get the feeling similar to wall sits, your not keeping the correct posture. Keep in mind that anything with those lunges (warrior etc) you should be getting LOW! If you are not up to the flexibility and not able to do any of the positions, then use a beginner yoga or pilaties. If you don't have the time, do the first 45min and the yoga belly x. (I personally love crane :tongue: so I don't skip)

Remember! Yoga is not supposed to be cardio!

Oh I forgot to add, I have my schedule so I get yoga on the weekends instead of losing 1.5hrs in the middle of the week. Good way to relax the mind and give yourself some relaxed attention.
  • creickson
    creickson Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Replace it with X stretch.
  • mishelnkiki
    Options
    just to let everyone know, i am doing it, i am taking a break bc im about to die but i am an hour in. i hate it... but it does kinda feel good at the same time. heres to the last half hour. bring on the stomach portions!