Long but worth the read I promise! I need every single one of you (adults and teens)!

Options
Please read this! You can really change my life.
Hello! I'm Marie. I'm a 17 year old senior in high school.
I allow my insecurities with my weight to hold me back from doing many things! As a teenager you can imagine how hard it is to be invited to a pool party and not want to go because of how you look in a bathing suit. Or not wanting to take pictures because you know you'll be the "bigger" looking one in the pictures. Or sometimes not wanting to dress up nicely on certain days with your friends because you feel no matter how nice you look it won't take attention away from your "flab". Or even when you're shopping and you find something really cute then realize you couldn't pull it off! I'm not one to care about male attention ,but my friends are always the ones to get hit on and sometimes I can't help ,but think that it's my weight. I'm also planning on majoring in music (singing) and one day I hope to get recognized for my talents ,but I don't want to be in the limelight looking the way I do. I also don't want to go into university looking the way I do. I want to look like a brand new person and start fresh! I've been so insecure throughout my high school years and so down in the dumps because of my weight that I've become tired of it. I want to feel comfortable with myself for once! I feel that now is the time to change my lifestyle.

But here's the thing. I need you guys! Yes YOU GUYS. To help me. This is not JUST some weight loss journey ,but it is a life journey. Help me love myself. Be my friend! My support team! I need encouragement.

Here, I'll share my goals with you guys.
I'm currently 222 lbs
- By the end of this year I want to be 200 lbs
- By my birthday on April 20th I would like to be in the 180s
- By my prom on May 20th I would like to be in the 170s
- By my graduation in June I would LOVE to be 160

I want to end high school completely shocking everyone! I want to slickly lose weight and by prom when I put on my dress and attend I want to look AMAZING and make everyone feel like wow I should of went with her! And during the summer when everyone has graduated already I want everyone in my senior year to have discussions about me like "You know what's crazy? Marie lost weight OUT OF NO WHERE!" I want them to try and put the pieces together trying to figure out when did I put the effort and time in to lose weight during the school year. And every month during my journey this school year I want people to question their eyes and ask me if I'm losing weight! Do you guys get what I'm saying? I'm picturing everything in my head and I just want it! I want it so badly! Not only for myself ,but for those that have ever looked down on me and my career. I want to feel comfortable with myself and feel good looking! I'm willing to make this happen! And hey if you're a teenager going through what I'm going through we can do this together or you can just read this post for advice! I'm going to update you guys during my journey :smile:

I have questions for all of you guys!
- What is YOUR story? Why did you want to lose weight?
- What dietary supplements have worked for you?
- I'm planning on joining a Planet Fitness the first day of November. What workout plans have worked for you?
- What dietary plans have worked for you?
- What's your trick to stay motivated?
- What's your trick to saying no to unhealthy foods?
- Is there anything you would advise me from your personal experience?

If there's anything else you'd like to tell me that can help me please say it! No matter how dumb you think it is! Say it! I'm not judgmental! I need all the help I can get :smile:

Replies

• happyfeetrebel1
    happyfeetrebel1 Posts: 1,005 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    There really isn't a trick or 'pill' or 'supplement' that is going to be the magic you want, but you CAN do it with a bit of hard work and knowledge

First, get a food scale and weigh EVERY SINGLE BITE you eat. Get your BMR (basal metabolic rate) and TDEE (total daily energy expenditure) from the web, and it will tell you roughly how many calories you need to maintain your weight. Plug those numbers into the MFP site, and choose how much you want to lose, and then stick to the number it gives you.

It's hard, and it will probably suck if you're used to eating whatever you want. BUT, if you can create a deficit, you will lose weight.

Do some cardio so you can burn some calories. Do some weight training so you don't lose muscle mass. MOVING will also help a lot

I know it sounds simplistic, but it really is 'calories in, calories out'

Also, many may post a lot of things you shouldn't eat, or weird times you shouldn't eat, or supplements/tricks like that. A good majority is bunk, and you can safely ignore it.

Also, if you plan any drastic diet/exercise plan, and especially at 17, you should check with a Dr. to make sure you're good to go :)
  • ljashley1952
    ljashley1952 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I concur! Weigh, weigh, weigh your food. People are so good at trying to fool themselves. They normally under-estimate how much they are eating. So measuring and weighing will clearly show you where your calories are and which foods are the most calorie dense.

My plan is the basic 'calories in-calories out' system. I'm going on the theory that if I cut 200-300 calories from my diet everyday, it's pretty painless, and if I exercise enough to burn an extra 200 calories a day, it's still pretty painless and I have cut out 500 calories in the day. At the end of the week that is a pound lost or a loss of 4 pounds a month.

That's about as much as I can manage because otherwise I know I will burn out and return to my normal habits, thus regaining it again.
  • One2Run
    One2Run Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Skip the supplement unless you are maybe thinking protein powder. Gimmicky pills don't work. Eat a balanced diet of wholesome foods, allow yourself the odd treat, fitting into your daily calorie goal, and keep active. Have small attainable goals, and go day by day. Be accountable to yourself, and make sure those around you (family) are supportive. Perhaps work towards a fitness goal for motivation: squat x pounds, or run a 5k. Why wait til Nov? Do it now. (And good luck!)
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    17 is too young to be here, as its against MFP rules.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    Stopped reading after seeing you are 17. Too young to be here.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    There is nothing that builds self-esteem more than working on and accomplishing a goal.

Losing weight is a long process. Don't kill yourself trying to get it done.

Get an appointment with you pr doctor and get good advice there.

I know that when you're in high school, it's a big deal. But, I promise you that in five years, you won't give a rat's *kitten* what any of those people thought and they won't give a rat's *kitten* about whether you were thin or fat.

When you grow up, you really (really and truly) won't care what anyone thinks, much less what they thought in high school.

Just work on being the best you can be, for yourself. Try to work on doing your own thing without wondering or trying to figure out what other people are thinking. You don't have to prove them wrong. You don't have to show them. That doesn't matter.

Show you. Be happy with you. You're the important one; not them.

Have a good year. :)
  • healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    Try Sparkteens-this site is for those 18 and over.
    You sound very determined-I know you will reach your goals healthily!
    Best Wishes!
  • Krikit34
    Krikit34 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    As others have said, you must be 18 according to site rules. It is likely that you will be flagged and have your account suspended. Please don't take it personally. Sometimes the discussions here are simply not suitable for minors and the advice is different for growing teen bodies than it is for full grown adults. There is a site similar to this that is meant for teens: SparkTeens. Give it a try.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    Must agree, the site rules are 18 and over (though sometimes I think it would be a bit silly if a 17 year old poster only had weeks to go before being 18, but oh well, lol). Rules are rules.
  • lms0520
    lms0520 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I think you did a great job of articulating how you feel, what you want to accomplish and that you have some very doable goals. I don't know about the MFP rules about age but if that is the case you can still follow a healthy eating plan, count calories, workout and track calories in/calories out which is what it really is all about. Your doctor can help you devise a plan and finding someone else who wants to lose weight on a buddy system really helps you to have someone to talk to. There are many others out there of all ages who have experienced the same kind of feelings you have shared here and would like to lose weight and would appreciate support. It only feels sometimes like we are the only ones.
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options
    TOS states you must be 18, which means you lied entering your age. SparkTeens is where you need to go.
  • dkewatson
    dkewatson Posts: 1,415 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    17 is too young to be here, as its against MFP rules.

Really, someone flagged this post? And there in lies the underlying fault of this new flag system. This poster and others are correct, 17 years old is too young per MFPs terms of use.

• Patttience
    Patttience Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your questions. They are a pretty decent set of questions.

I have questions for all of you guys!

- What is YOUR story? Why did you want to lose weight?
    Im nearly 51, 5'5", female, and was 179 pounds or so at the beginning of the year. I"m now about 138 pounds.

- What dietary supplements have worked for you?
    Absolutely none and its something i am proud to avoid. They cost a lot of money and a lot of the pills go down the loo. I eat whole foods and a varied diet of nutritious foods, although i don't eat red meat or chicken and only seafood a couple of times a week.

- I'm planning on joining a Planet Fitness the first day of November. What workout plans have worked for you?
    - Weightloss is not about fitness. Its great to be fit but when you link your weightloss to fitness, your weightloss efforts can fail when for various reasons your fitness activities fail. When you stop being active people tend to pile the weight back on because they can't adjust their calories this is probably the main cause of yo yo dieting. It was certainly true of me. So if you do create a work out plan, make sure its something that's not overly demanding of your time and energy. Make sure its flexible. Find something you really really love doing and if its got a social aspect, it will likely be much more rewarding. Take up a sport not a gym membership.

- What dietary plans have worked for you?
    I personalised my approach to diet and i think its the key. Over the year, I have dabbled in a couple of things which were interesting experiences but i tend to come back to my way in the end. The things i tried were Atkins style low carb and 5:2 fasting. Both i did for about 2 months each. Key elements of my personal approach are eating lots of vegetables cooking in interesting and delicious ways. Eating fruit. Enjoying healthy fats and not bothering with the outdated low fat idea. Eating sufficient dairy for my calcium needs. Avoiding hunger - eat when hungry. Quit sweets. Eat meals, not snacks.

- What's your trick to stay motivated?
    I only struggle with motivation when my mood fails and i think this is probably true of most people. So i seek out counselling and i have a regular psychologist and my gp mainly as my go to people. Also food logging. Calorie counting gets boring after a while but just keeping record of my food and weight in a spreadsheet helps a lot and its a lot easier. Stress is another thing that can really bugger you up. Again i seek a councillor for resolving stressful situations.

- What's your trick to saying no to unhealthy foods?
    Rules but rules that don't make me feel deprived. Because i have a tendency to binge on sweet foods i chose from the start to quit sweets. Fruit is my only source of sweetness on a regular basis. And the longer follow this program the more committed i feel and the easier it is. My rules allow me to eat sweets when its offered to me but only one serve regardless of how small. And i can order dessert if at a restaurant with other people. I've recently ruled out sweets at all in a buffet situation. Its too hard. I experimented with making sugarless desserts for a while but some of these used rich and sweet dried fruits with lots of butter which triggered binges when my mood was low which is when you want to eat sweet and high fat foods anyway. In end i decided it was too risky and have gone back to my reliance on only stewed and fresh fruit. I can eat dried fruit but not in a dessert type situation. More just a single date or fig on occasions.

My second trick is loving to cook healthy food. If you don't cook, i don't think you can expect to maintain a reach and maintain a low weight over the long haul. Its just too hard and processed foods tend to be less satisfying.

- Is there anything you would advise me from your personal experience?
    Beyond all of the above, understand that weightloss and maintaining low weight is a highly psychological matter. Read up on some things and monitor your own responses and insights. There are physiological reactions caused by low mood and stress. So look after your mental health. Get plenty of sleep. Alcohol affects your judgement so don't get drunk to often. When you are studying your appetite will increase. Rather than get upset it about eat more healthy food. Its better to eat a bit more so long as its healthy stuff like vegetables and nutritious stuff rather than trying to avoid eating and just ending up in a binge and more stressed and upset than ever. Try to take a more relaxed approach when these necessarily stressful situations are unavoidable. Don't do anything to add to the pressure you will be under.

Don't be in a hurry. Don't make unrealistic demands and expectations. Try to make your weight loss plan easy and rewarding.

Weight loss should be regarded as a reward not a punishment. So cheating is not a reward its stupid. If you make a mistake, its a mistake or slip up, but its not the end of the world. Forgive yourself and move on. Be flexible but don't keep breaking your rules. If you do find yourself breaking your rules a lot there may be a problem with your rule.

I've just taken up tennis. I'm close to goal. My food is more enjoyable than ever and i am excited about learning tennis. I started at the beginning of the year and have lost i don't know 30-40 pounds. It could have gone faster as yours probably will but my goal at the beginning of the year was to reach my goal by the end of the year. If i don't actually reach my goal i'm fine with that. I'm only about 4 pounds away from it and i'm quite happy with how i look and how i feel.

I am not young so i have some of the wisdom of years on my side. Its harder for younger people but you might as well start anyway.
  • alwaysmarie
    Options
    I was suggested this app by adults!!! But thank you to those that gave advice regardless! I will screenshot just in case they delete everything!
  • marlovs78
    marlovs78 Posts: 75 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    (*) comment removed.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    marlovs78 wrote: »
    @Pattience - - :) you should post your questions as a separate thread, as posting new questions in an existing thread is considered thread hijacking, even if OP is underage.
    Patience was answering questions, not asking them.
  • marlovs78
    edited October 2014
    Options
    @Kalikel - yikes. I guess I should read better before commenting. sorry 'bout that...
  • Polishprinsezz
    Polishprinsezz Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    marlovs78 wrote: »
    @Pattience - - :) you should post your questions as a separate thread, as posting new questions in an existing thread is considered thread hijacking, even if OP is underage.
    Actually Pattience was quoting the questions of the OP and answering them. That post was not a hijack.
  • marlovs78
    edited October 2014
    Options
    @Polishprinsezz - Yes I see that now. I removed my comment, although it already has been quoted twice. My bad. :\