Help I'm really hungry!!!

Options
Today I have been really hungry. And I'm not talking about being thirsty but thinking I am hungry. I woke up and had a chesse stick (not normal) and then ate my breakfast of cereal and fruit. (normal) Then 2 hours later my stomach was growling. My poor students even looked up while taking their midterms. (oops, sorry) My stomach was growling so much I just at lunch at 11:45am. (I have already had 25 grams of protein and 7 grams of fiber between breakfast and lunch)

Does anybody have an ideas for low calorie snacks for those days you are really hungry?? I know I am going to need a mid-afternoon snack and I don't want to go over calories.

PS please don't tell me water. I have already drank 8 cups. ;-)

Replies

• chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    I have days like this after I do cardio. I will be sooo hungry that I eat and eat and eat and I'm STILL hungry.

Try eating protein - cottage cheese, tuna, etc. It'll fill you up and keep you full.

On days like this, I go ahead and eat and don't worry too much about calories. I just make sure it's healthy and not junk. If I'm THAT hungry -- my body needs it.
  • roxanne90
    roxanne90 Posts: 95
    Options
    Lately I have been having some jello.......its light but its been helping me get past those moments when I'm really really hungry. :)
  • VixFit2011
    VixFit2011 Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    I just had a sugar free jello and it was good and only 10 calories but I know the sweetener isn't a good thing.

A few days ago I fought off the hungries with nuts for a snack ...walnuts are excellent with omega 3s.

Rice cakes help me to ...usually only 40-60 calories.
  • idream2bgwen
    idream2bgwen Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    I have days like this after I do cardio. I will be sooo hungry that I eat and eat and eat and I'm STILL hungry.

Try eating protein - cottage cheese, tuna, etc. It'll fill you up and keep you full.

On days like this, I go ahead and eat and don't worry too much about calories. I just make sure it's healthy and not junk. If I'm THAT hungry -- my body needs it.

Thank you. I have been starving today and days that I do my kettlebell workouts. Sometimes I need to remember this!!!
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    If you're starving you can go over your calories. Eating is better than suffering. But, some low calorie snacks would be carrots, celery, cucumbers, you can eat a lot of those for a small amount of calories.
  • mlwestlake
    mlwestlake Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    when i get like that, i have a cup of black tea with milk and splenda. it helps me.
  • joannbuist23
    joannbuist23 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Veggies, I know, boring but you could eat a huge bowl for almost no calories.
  • suzukigurl
    Options
    I have been having the same problem......It seems like I eat a lot but when you add everything together it's not that much at all I will eat a yogurt and a large banana, or an apple and cottage cheese (get the low fat then you can eat a little more) tuna rolled up in lettuce as long as you use low fat mayo I even sometimes get those microwavable soft pretzels, they have like 190 calories but no fat
  • mrphil86
    mrphil86 Posts: 2,382 Member
    Options
    Whatever you choose for your snack, just eat it slowly. It's hard but it will pay off.

Chevy88grl got it right. If your body is really that hungry, it's for a reason. The number of calories suggested you eat is not an exact science. Some days you need more and some days you need less. Just obviously, do not overeat. Like I said, eat slowly and try to stay in your range as close as possible.

If it's really hard, eat 6 small meals a day. That helps a lot of people.
  • monocot
    monocot Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    I love protein Bars. Cliff Brand! I can only actually eat about 1/2 cup at a time But if I've got the Munchies really bad, I slowly eat a bite or two through out the day with a couple bites of fruit.
    Though I work in a kitchen so I'm constantly surrounded by Fries and chicken Fingers. sometimes its hard to say No.
  • merrillfoster
    merrillfoster Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    My fave snack as of lately has been Triscuit Flatbreads (I like the tuscan herb or whatever flavor that is) with Laughing Cow garlic and herb cheese wedge. 1 wedge is more than enough for 2 crackers--total = 90 cals and is pretty filling, plus fills both the carb and cheese craving. And is delic!
  • lil_missfit
    lil_missfit Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    You may need to up your calories:)) you may also be using more calories than u think:)) if u are hungry like that EAT!! Make sure is healthy...log in how much u go over and it may be that you just need more calories each day...once you find where you are comfortable and still have a daily calorie deficit then reset your calorie goals....mine was 1200..it is now 1360....I refuse to starve:)) get your grub on girlfriend:)) just be smart with it:))
  • jamielise2
    jamielise2 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Definitely protein! When I'm absolutely starving, a cheese stick and some triscuits do wonders. I also keep fat free greek yogurt (Chobani is my favorite) or grilled chicken breast for those quick pick me ups when I'm absolutely starving! And I was absolutely starving for the first few weeks - eating every couple of hours. This is the first week (week 6) I'm not really tempted to snack, so I have to remind myself to eat.
  • msbfonseca
    Options
    Pop Weaver Light Butter Popcorn, you can have the whole bag for only 40 calories. It is a snack that you can keep out all day and just snack on it as needed.
  • myowncrazycool
    myowncrazycool Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Take a whole head of cauliflower and cut it up into bite size pieces. Wash off the pieces and put onto a cookie sheet sprayed with Pam cooking spray. Heavily sprinkle the cauliflower with cumin and chili powder and pepper. Bake in the oven at 400 degrees for about 10 minutes. It should be golden, but still crunchy. On the side...take some cottage cheese (depending on how many calories you want to spend...half cut to a cup) Mix the cottage cheese with a teaspoon or so of ranch dressing mix (the powdered stuff). Your cottage cheese dip will taste like ranch dressing, but you will get the protein that fills you up and can eat the entire head of cauliflower if you are hungry enough...minimal calories. It's a great filler snack on the days you are really hungry.
  • lkfletcher2005
    Options
    Veggies dipped in hummus. I find hummus suprisingly filling.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    oh bump for the cool cauli recipe! Thanks!
  • joannbuist23
    joannbuist23 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Take a whole head of cauliflower and cut it up into bite size pieces. Wash off the pieces and put onto a cookie sheet sprayed with Pam cooking spray. Heavily sprinkle the cauliflower with cumin and chili powder and pepper. Bake in the oven at 400 degrees for about 10 minutes. It should be golden, but still crunchy. On the side...take some cottage cheese (depending on how many calories you want to spend...half cut to a cup) Mix the cottage cheese with a teaspoon or so of ranch dressing mix (the powdered stuff). Your cottage cheese dip will taste like ranch dressing, but you will get the protein that fills you up and can eat the entire head of cauliflower if you are hungry enough...minimal calories. It's a great filler snack on the days you are really hungry.

Never thought to put cauliflower in the oven, I'll have to try this!
  • chattygirl2
    chattygirl2 Posts: 103
    Options

Thanks sounds great!! Thanks for sharing :)
  • KimCutsail
    Options
    I like to snack on almonds sometimes in between meals when I'm starving. :) I pre-bag them in ziplock baggies so I won't eat the whole package.