Have you kicked coffee/caffeine? How did YOU do it?

Options
REman
REman Posts: 48 Member
I've read a few different strategies online (and in these forums). The only one that seems to make sense is a weekly gradual decrease in your coffee.

I think I'm going to try it. Starting tomorrow, I'm only going to drink 2 cups in the morning. Next week, I'll drop it down to 1 cup and drink a cup of decaf on top of that. After that, I'll hopefully be able to drop it all together.

However, I'm not so sure I trust myself. Has anyone tried this particular approach? Did it work for you? Did you suffer withdrawal symptoms?

Any other suggestions on how to kick caffeine?

edit: spelling

Replies

• Taylor521
    Taylor521 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Why would you do such a thing?
  • logicalloss
    logicalloss Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I did it with Milk. I went from whole to 2%, then 1% then finally skim. With Mountain Dew I switched to flavored water, then eventually water. You might try switching to a "better bad choice" and then baby step it to something more healthy/
  • REman
    Options
    I'm no longer interested in the crashes, dehydration, and anxiety.
  • alliecore
    alliecore Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    A couple months ago I would get a raging headache by late afternoon if I skipped my coffee. Now I can totally skip a day and not even feel it. I don't think coffee is "evil", so I still drink it at times, but it's not something I NEED anymore. I gradually decreased. It doesn't take long to adapt. :)
  • AnneMK5
    AnneMK5 Posts: 110
    Options
    Kicking the coffee habit has been an ever on-going battle for me because I LOVE LOVE LOVE coffee. Not just for the caffeine but for the taste, mmmmmmmm. And I don't necessarily WANT to stop drinking coffee but my innards no longer like half n half (I can't do non-dairy creamers either) so I've had to switch to soy and it just isn't the same. So... I'm seriously thinking of trying AGAIN to stop drinking coffee. I'd love some suggestions as well.
  • cobracars
    cobracars Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    I wasn't a coffee drinker but I got my caffeine from Coke and Pepsi.
    As many as 6-8 cans a day, or on 'drive-thru' days maybe 3 large cokes.

I decided one day I didn't want to keep pumping that junk into my body but I figured I still wanted a treat.
    So I ditched all the drive-thru stuff in favor of water, and I got rid of all the cans at home.
    For a treat I bought the REAL Coke in the 12 oz. glass bottle imported from Mexico. Made with pure sugar instead of High Fructose Corn Syrup. The USA is the only country that doesn't use real sugar in Coke.
    It cost $.99 per bottle, but I got down to 1 per day, and it tastes lighter than the syrup stuff and no funny aftertaste.
    I haven't had a single one yet this week as I'm only in week 2 of MFP and I want to succeed at this.

No big caffeine reduction plan, I just stopped. And the only withdrawl symptom I'm having so far is the euphoria from seeing weight loss progress!
  • elliecolorado
    elliecolorado Posts: 1,040
    Options
    I was drinking 2 or 3 energy drinks a day and I quit cold turkey. I just couldn't justify the number of calories in each one, that was almost my whole days worth of calories just in energy drinks and the fact that caffeine dehydrates you it just wasn't worth it. I had a headache for a couple of days, but just drank tons of water and it wasn't so bad.
  • JEK717
    JEK717 Posts: 1,497
    Options
    I did it with soda..it was hard. I actually did not really realize i was going threw a withdrawl...till a few weeks after. I was cranky and a jerk. I had headaches ALL the time. We were going over some of the stuff about withdrawl in my diet and fitness class and i was like "oooh so that is why i felt like that".

So yeah it is hard but def worth it! Go for it:happy:
  • mellybellybear1722
    mellybellybear1722 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I was completely addicted to soda ( my caffeine substance of choice) before I started on MFP and my lifestyle change. I had horrible caffeine withdrawals for the first few days, but it ended after that. I knew that if I allowed myself one here and one there, especially towards the beginning it was only going to make it harder for me to stop drinking soda in the long term which was my essential goal! I have not had a soda in almost four months and although I crave it ( very rarely, but it happens), I feel a thousand times better not drinking it and I honestly feel that not having the caffeine and sugar that comes with soda makes me feel more energetic, and much less tired. I have never felt better in my life! I wish you the best of luck in your goal to kick caffeine! You can do it, even though it will seem impossible at first! Although my personal opinion is that if you cannot give it up cold turkey that your method is a very good approach to kicking it in the long run. :):) Again, best of luck to you!!
  • fancythis
    fancythis Posts: 20
    Options
    I've been good at limiting myself to one large Timmie's a day (Canucks..are you with me??), and that's where I draw the line. I don't think it's a terrible thing to have 1, as long as that's where the line is drawn. Moderation is the key to anything I think. If I'm really craving one later in the day, I'll have decaf. I think it's just having one that I like, not so much the caffeine.
  • Teazybabee
    Options
    I did it by tricking myself. I had to switch caffeine free sodas which helped to take the edge off and tricked my body to a point. I was then able to cut the monkey off my back. It was fairly painless.
  • jackalope28
    jackalope28 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I switched over to caffeinated tea (Earl Grey is a good start), and now when I drink coffee it's overwhelmingly strong. Now I can skip a day or three of coffee/tea and before that was totally unthinkable.

I missed it for the first few days but after two weeks away, I was fully adjusted and coffee tasted strange.

I still have some every now and then because I miss the habit of coffee - but not the taste (which I thought I would never, ever, ever say).

GL!
  • REman
    Options
    I did it with soda..it was hard. I actually did not really realize i was going threw a withdrawl...till a few weeks after. I was cranky and a jerk. I had headaches ALL the time. We were going over some of the stuff about withdrawl in my diet and fitness class and i was like "oooh so that is why i felt like that".

You did it cold turkey?
  • JHoersten2
    JHoersten2 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Stop bringing it to your lips. Simple.

Willpower.
  • kendf60
    kendf60 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I did it cold turkey a few years ago. Some advil for headaches for a couple of weeks but it never got too bad for me. A glass of fresh juice in the morning can give you a little kick start.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    Caffeine is something I haven't been able to beat. I used to get my caffeine from Mt Dew and I gave that up, but I moved from that to coffee with the occasional sugar free energy drink mixed in.

I've tried to give it up, but I end up sooo sick that I have to cave and go back to it.
  • JEK717
    JEK717 Posts: 1,497
    Options

You did it cold turkey?

Fur sure. It is actually easier then one thinks. As long as your mind and heart are into stopping. It only took me a few days to not crave it...though i still was cranky for a week or so. It is so nice not being dependent on it...but i refuse to stop eating chocolate...nope nope NEVER!
  • LaylaClapton
    Options
    I quit caffeine because I HAD to. I tapered off, and if you get withdrawal headaches (and you might not) take some ibuprofen. It will pass. Increase your water too.

Be very sure to check labels, caffeine is in lots of things you might not suspect (some root beers, Excederin, codeine sometimes.)

You can do this, and I hope you'll be deservedly proud of yourself for kicking a bad habit!
  • REman
    Options
    I switched over to caffeinated tea (Earl Grey is a good start), and now when I drink coffee it's overwhelmingly strong. Now I can skip a day or three of coffee/tea and before that was totally unthinkable.

I missed it for the first few days but after two weeks away, I was fully adjusted and coffee tasted strange.

I still have some every now and then because I miss the habit of coffee - but not the taste (which I thought I would never, ever, ever say).

GL!

Very helpful, thank you.
  • k2d4p
    k2d4p Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    No, never, not going to happen, I would go insane, I would never even consider it, not an option, crazy suggestion, the thought makes me shudder. MUST.............HAVE...............COFFEE............:explode:

Just the thought of even considering not having my daily coffee. :noway: