From Treadmill to Road Running

Options
Hello folks,

I live in Port Moresby, Papua New Guinea and cannot regularly run outside, even during the day.

I have been running 5k a few times a week on a flat treadmill at the gym, but suffer and struggle to finish outdoor runs when I can do them. I also do free weights and kettlebells, and do regular and challenging hiking where I can.

Other than poking away at the settings, is there a trick for building the strength that will make me a good road runner? If its just a measure of changing the angle of the belt, is there a recommended program for that?

Thanks!

Replies

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    You are likely going faster outdoors than your body can take.

It's been found in at least 1 study that the perceived rate of exertion outdoors compared to indoors is less at same pace, meaning if you go by feeling, you can go faster outdoors.
    One reason is more of your energy goes to propelling you forward, rather than the shock absorption likely in the treadmill. Other is your mind is distracted on the actual exercise, not distractedly doing the treadmill.

But, it's still more pounding, and you are expending more energy.
    And it would appear, more than your fitness level allows right now.

You need to slow down.

There used to be a thought that a 1% grade on treadmill would equal outdoor running wind resistance - but you need to be going really fast for that to matter.

If at a gym, you may find a treadmill that has less shock absorption, mimicking outdoors better. Careful though, when I found that one, and my pace at same HR increased really well, I got excited and did all my barefoot runs on it. Got plantar sprain overdoing it - out for over 6 weeks.

So be careful.
  • hobbitabroad
    hobbitabroad Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Heybales - I think you're totally right. Thanks.

Eager for other tips, including on how to pace myself when I do get outside!
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Should be able to talk a normal short sentence, but that's about it. Then would need some breaths to do another one.
    So not grunt 3 word answers, but not the Gettysburg address either.
    If able to sing, even poorly, then too slow.

Here was article referencing studies.
    http://www.active.com/running/Articles/Equating-Treadmill-and-Outdoor-Running.htm
  • hobbitabroad
    Options
    Thats very illustrative, thanks!

Port Moresby is regularly on lists of the world's most dangerous cities, so its tempting to run just as fast as you can! Doesn't help if I'm walking and panting after 10 minutes, though...
  • astronomicals
    astronomicals Posts: 1,537 Member
    Options
    heybales wrote: »

Does this include freestyling?

Thx for study link
  • alathIN
    alathIN Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I agree with the finding that treadmills were absorbing a lot of shock, and therefore I was faster on the road (a bit more energy going into movement rather than compressing the shock absorbers on the treadmill).

There is a flip side to that: you don't have all that shock absorbency, so you may find some stride flaws more exposed. I was over-striding - my feet landing way out in front of me - and heel striking, which was creating a big shockwave with every step that I did not notice on the cushy treadmill.

In the end I have really enjoyed the transition out into the real world, but I would definitely advise taking it easy. Many of the top running coaches emphasize that you should do most of your running at a very easy pace anyway - for transitioning to outdoors, I would make that advice even stronger. Run at a pace where you can converse easily. Pay a lot of attention to how your feet and legs are feeling. Use the 100 ups exercise to get the feeling of your feet landing softly under your center of gravity http://100up.info/the-100-up-running-technique-2
    Increase volume graduallly and save speed for later
  • alathIN
    alathIN Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Should be able to talk a normal short sentence, but that's about it. Then would need some breaths to do another one.

I acknowledge that there are some running experts who say this, but OP should also be aware that many of the top coaches advise doing most of your training at an easy aerobic pace - meaning you can converse normally or even say the Gettysburg address without getting breathy.

Obviously different people have different goals and respond to different regimens, but personally I have had the best long term results with a regimen of 90% very easy aerobic pace and 10% or less pushing my pace.
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    alathIN wrote: »

I acknowledge that there are some running experts who say this, but OP should also be aware that many of the top coaches advise doing most of your training at an easy aerobic pace - meaning you can converse normally or even say the Gettysburg address without getting breathy.

Obviously different people have different goals and respond to different regimens, but personally I have had the best long term results with a regimen of 90% very easy aerobic pace and 10% or less pushing my pace.

I agree with this. I spent way too much time (years) trying to run too fast. I would end up dreading it and/or hurt myself and stop running. Slow and steady has definitely kept me on the road regularly for the past 7 months or so, and I'm running farther than I ever thought I could.

As far as the transition from treadmill to the road, personally they are two completely different workouts for me. Running on the road takes more energy than running on the treadmill at the same speed (for me, at least) so you will probably have a different starting point on the road. For instance, if you can run 2 miles on the treadmill, you might only be able to run 1 mile on the road and it might be slower than you're used to. This is all just from my experience though, so maybe others might have a different opinion!

Have fun out there!
  • hobbitabroad
    Options
    Thank you for your responses, everyone!