I am having trouble setting up a workout schedule?

Options
rawrchad
rawrchad Posts: 4
edited October 2014 in Fitness and Exercise
I was hopin maybe somebody could help me. I am 5"7 140 lbs and I am male.
Yesterday I ran a mile for the first time in a year in 8:30 flat (a little sore today). I'm going to be training my self for a 5k that is on thanks giving.
Everyday I plan to run, and do some type of workout. Yesterday was biceps and abs.

I was wondering if you guys could help me make a schedule, and possibly tell me some work outs I may do? I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks!

Edit my weight goal is to gain muscle weight. I don't want to be completely jacked. I just want to be toned and fit.

Replies

• xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    First thing: what are your goals? Do you want to lose/gain/maintain weight? Weight goals come from what you eat. You need a deficit to lose, a surplus to gain, and a balance to maintain.

For strength: look at a tried and true program. New Rules of Lifting, Stronglifts, programs on bodybuilding.com, among many other programs (I don't know them all).

For running: couch to 5k (there's an app for that). It will get you running a 5k over the course of several weeks. You can also google Hal Higdon and follow one of his programs (which is what I did when I got serious about running again). He has everything from beginner to advanced and 5k up to at least a marathon (maybe longer distances, I can't remember).
  • philwrightfitness
    philwrightfitness Posts: 122
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Your 5k is quite soon so I would concentrate on running training, I would start with three times a week, two sessions of steady pace running, aiming to increase your pace by about 5% a week, with one session of interval training, I.e. Jog two minutes, run hard for 45 secs to one minute, this will up your vo2 - your overall oxygen capacity.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    8:30 for a 1 mile and you haven't run in how long?

F me. My best was a 9:49 for my first mile in my best 5k. Damn.
  • civilizedworm
    civilizedworm Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    Running every day? Seems overkill.
  • rawrchad
    Options

My sister has done it for years. I use too, it doesn't bother me and it helps my legs heal quicker it seems like after leg days.
    I ran 7:35 mile today.
    I also walk for 3-5 minutes after running.
  • civilizedworm
    civilizedworm Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    rawrchad wrote: »

My sister has done it for years. I use too, it doesn't bother me and it helps my legs heal quicker it seems like after leg days.
    I ran 7:35 mile today.
    I also walk for 3-5 minutes after running.
    To gain some muscle you are going to have to lift, and probably lift heavy/low reps, or lift light/many reps - either way you'll be lifting depending on whatever program you've selected. You may find that all that running is just too much, plus resistance training on top of that. Trust me on this, if you've squated and deadlifted in the same week, running you will find challenging - and you may need to throttle back. If anything, make sure you do your lifts first then get your running in - but you're more than half my age and if I recall correctly, you're indomitable.

Nice time on your run however!
  • astronomicals
    astronomicals Posts: 1,537 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    If u can run a 7:35 mile you can easily run a 5K (probably right now). Also, there is evidence saying that submaximal leg training can expedite leg recovery due to more blood flow amongst other things. Sounds like you're genetically inclined to be a runner. You could probably run a 10K by thanksgiving, IMO.

Also, I'd take civilized's warnings seriously. You may be a born runner, but, adding a lot of heavy/ high intensity training on top of it could run you into the ground. It also sounds like you already have a training program since you said you "recover faster after leg day when you run".