Not Losing Weight :(

Options
Hi guys,
I'm back to using this tool. Much improved since I last used it. Trying to lean out and follow a lower carb, higher protein, clean diet. I've stayed at my calorie limit and exercised for extra help (not using any exercise calories). The scale is not moving at all! This is the first time I've every really tried to diet and had no results. I'm about to hit 53 and I know that's part of it, but it's really discouraging to try so hard, exercise a lot (600-1000 calories per workout) and get nowhere....

Replies

• thefoodaddict
    thefoodaddict Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I'm on a low carb-high protein diet too... well, lifestyle change. But I say diet because it's what I eat. ANYWAY! What's your tdee & how much cals do you get a day?
  • LeanButNotMean44
    LeanButNotMean44 Posts: 852 Member
    Options
    What is your calorie goal per day? Are you weighing your food? What are you doing to burn 600-1000 calories per workout?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    if you're using MFP then you should be eating exercise cals back...

also, if you're trying to get lean, then you're just losing vanity pounds, so should only be aiming for 0.5lb per week loss, so it'll be slooooooooooooooow progress.
  • jldewalt
    jldewalt Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Catslave98 - I've been following & posting my My Fitness Pal diet and have been putting in a minimum of an hour-long good, hard workout, being sure to keep my heart rate up to the recommended exercise rate, and I've been experiencing the same problem. I'm 42 yrs old. I see a pound lost here and there, but my weight fluctuates so much in a week's time that it's hard to tell where I really am. It's SO frustrating! All I can say is that I'm sticking with it (have been doing the program for about 12 days now but have been watching what I eat and exercising for over a month now). I HAVE to keep myself motivated to stick with it because I know it's what's best for me - even though I don't see the weight changing yet. And I have to keep believing that, at some point, I'll see a change in the weight. That's all I can go on! Hopefully it'll start to happen soon. I do think I need to lower my carbs. I've been focusing on my calories, and not necessarily the kinds of calories, and so I'll start this week really focusing on keeping the carbs at bay, which I'm sure will be hard!
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    catslave98 wrote: »
    Hi guys,
    I'm back to using this tool. Much improved since I last used it. Trying to lean out and follow a lower carb, higher protein, clean diet. I've stayed at my calorie limit and exercised for extra help (not using any exercise calories). The scale is not moving at all! This is the first time I've every really tried to diet and had no results. I'm about to hit 53 and I know that's part of it, but it's really discouraging to try so hard, exercise a lot (600-1000 calories per workout) and get nowhere....

How long has it been? Where are you getting your burn numbers? Do you use a food scale to log all solids and measuring cups for all free-pouring liquids?
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    'Trying hard' is subjective. Technically, getting out of bed could be considered by some as trying hard. Nevertheless, weight loss is about eating at a calorie deficit, not trying hard. So if you arent losing weight, you are eating way too much, particularly if you are burning so many calories in the meantime.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    You're probably eating more than you think and burning less than you think
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    I think she said she doesn't eat exercise calories back. So if she is not burning that much, which she's probably not, those calories shouldn't play a factor here.
  • catslave98
    catslave98 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    So, I am still stuck after 3 weeks. I'm wearing a heart rate monitor that measures my rate/calorie burn. I run or do high impact step aerobics for 1 hour and weight training for 1 hour, so I really am burning 600-1000 calories per workout. I do this 6 times a week. I'm a personal trainer also, so I'm pretty sure I'm doing it all the right way. I'm concerned my SSRI may be interfering with my weight loss after talking to some fitness professionals. It's not that discouraging, just weird to me. My clothes fit better and my muscle tone is good. I feel great and am getting stronger, but I'm about to toss the scale. If i didn't feel so good, I might want to give up, but this is a great experiment and also a way for me to learn that my clients aren't always exaggerating when then say they are eating clean and not losing weight.
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    Have you read sexypants?
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

This might be helpful too:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10012907/logging-accuracy-consistency-and-youre-probably-eating-more-than-you-think

I've just come off a plateau of about a month, after losing steadily since I started in January.
    Very frustrating!
    I kept eating at a deficit, actually dropped my calories by about 100, and increased both the duration & intensity of my exercise.
    I try not to eat back exercise calories, but if I do it's usually 200 or less, when MFP says my workout burned slightly over 1000.

Since your clothes are fitting better, you're doing it right. Keep on. Maybe weigh once a week instead of daily?
    And "eating clean" means so many different things to different people that it's meaningless.

51637601.png
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    BTW, looking at your ticker you have very little to lose, so it's going to go v-e-r-y s-l-o-w-l-y.
    0.5 lb per week would be a lot, and that's a glass of water, so measuring it will be difficult.
  • simplydelish2
    simplydelish2 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    With less than 10 lbs to lose...it is going to be slow. Without your diary being open, it's hard to give constructive thoughts.
  • deborahmckennon
    deborahmckennon Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    So, I am still stuck after 3 weeks. I'm wearing a heart rate monitor that measures my rate/calorie burn. I run or do high impact step aerobics for 1 hour and weight training for 1 hour, so I really am burning 600-1000 calories per workout. I do this 6 times a week. I'm a personal trainer also, so I'm pretty sure I'm doing it all the right way. I'm concerned my SSRI may be interfering with my weight loss after talking to some fitness professionals. It's not that discouraging, just weird to me. My clothes fit better and my muscle tone is good. I feel great and am getting stronger, but I'm about to toss the scale. If i didn't feel so good, I might want to give up, but this is a great experiment and also a way for me to learn that my clients aren't always exaggerating when then say they are eating clean and not losing weight.

Your clothes fit better , you feel great, you look great, and your getting stronger. Muscle weighs more than fat. Being healthy and toned is what it is all about. if your losing inches and toning and feeling great your doing something right. Toss those scales, go by the tape measure only and how you feel. I would rather be ten pounds over weight and feel healthy and look good, than to be my target weight and feel , and look awful . I am a prime example of a person that needs a personal trainer. In the past, every time the scales didn't move I quit. This time I am in it for feeling healthy and looking good. I measure and am going by how my clothes fit and how I feel. I have so far to go. I am much happier and have no desire to quit this time. this link might help you. http://www.webmd.com/depression/features/antidepressants-weight-gain?page=2
    I think your doing everything right to.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    catslave98 wrote: »
    The numbers your HRM gives for your activities will be wrong every time based on what a HRM is programmed and designed to do ... they are useless for calculating the burn from lifting.

As stated by others, your closed diary makes giving an informed reply difficult.