What do you do when your stomach is rumbling but you have eaten all your calorie allowance?

Options
What do you do when your stomach is rumbling but you have eaten all your calorie allowance? It's not that long after dinner, your mouth is watering and you've been thinking about food non-stop. Your stomach starts to rumble, maybe you feel a little faint. You've tried a cup of herbal tea or some water but your stomach is still churning and feeling empty. What do you do?

Replies

• mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    Use some calories from tomorrow or do some exercise to get more calories. Make sure you aren't on too low a goal as well.
  • 970Mikaela1
    970Mikaela1 Posts: 2,013 Member
    Options
    Go to bed or eat.
  • TannunisFred
    TannunisFred Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I pre plan my day's diary, and I always log an after dinner snack, usually an apple and 2 tbs of peanut butter.

I'm not sure why this works for me, maybe because the peanut butter has the perfect combo of protein/fat? Whatever the reason this works for me, and I never go to bed hungry.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    Options
    mockchoc wrote: »
    Use some calories from tomorrow or do some exercise to get more calories. Make sure you aren't on too low a goal as well.

Also, drink 16 ounces of water and wait 20 minutes before you decide what to do next.

Being hungry is not the worst thing in the world. It isn't really necessary to shove food in our faces the moment that we experience any vague indication that we might be hungry, especially if we know we have eaten an adequate amount. If you truly are hungry, then eat. But also, you might review your day and try to figure out why you are left hungry at the end of it...

Is your calorie goal reasonable or too restrictive?
    Are your macros set properly and did you reach them, particularly protein?
    Did you get enough fiber?
    Did you perhaps fail to time your meals appropriately, and stack your calories toward the beginning of the day, leaving not enough for dinner?
    Did you eat something particularly sugary or starchy which might have had a negative effect on blood sugar?

Just some things to think about to see if you need to make some adjustments to avoid this in future.
  • NakeshiaBeard
    NakeshiaBeard Posts: 83
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Mmmm peanut butter!

I'm not going throught this right now by the way, it's just something that happens from time to time (especially for us girls if you get me!). I'd just like to know how others handle this situation.

Personally, I usually eat some fruit, even if it means going over calories.
  • libbydoodle11
    libbydoodle11 Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    I eat something when my tummy won't stop rumbling. Are you sure your calories are set correctly?
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    What do you do when your stomach is rumbling but you have eaten all your calorie allowance?
    I eat nothing.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,585 Member
    Options
    What's your calorie allotment set at?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • 50sFit
    50sFit Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    What do you do when your stomach is rumbling but you have eaten all your calorie allowance? It's not that long after dinner, your mouth is watering and you've been thinking about food non-stop. Your stomach starts to rumble, maybe you feel a little faint. You've tried a cup of herbal tea or some water but your stomach is still churning and feeling empty. What do you do?
    I suck it up and just work through the challenge.
    Fasting helps with craving resistance. It's a way to exercise your discipline muscles.

• countscalories
    countscalories Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I tell it to shut up, and that I'll feed it tomorrow. Then, I go on MFP and read other people's success stories.
  • NakeshiaBeard
    Options
    I tell it to shut up, and that I'll feed it tomorrow. Then, I go on MFP and read other people's success stories.

Haha this is great!
  • crisb2
    crisb2 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Chug water and go to sleep.
  • ithrowconfetti
    ithrowconfetti Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Eat hard boiled egg whites. They're not too high in calories.
  • sw33tp3a11
    sw33tp3a11 Posts: 4,646 Member
    Options
    I usually cave and eat some fruit.
  • totem12
    totem12 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Sugar free jelly!
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    I go over and eat something if I am legitimately hungry. I look at weekly averages so it's fine if I am over and under some days
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    I try to do a plank or other abdominal exercise. My tummy is apparently easily fooled, because the feeling of tired ab muscles can usually drown out appetite feelings. Also, I hate (and therefore avoid) those exercises and can always stand to do them more.
  • maoribadger
    maoribadger Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    Drink fizzy water. I rarely eat after 7pm and body has adjusted
  • Lorleee
    Lorleee Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I think if my stomach was growling and I felt faint I would take that as legit hunger and not a desire to eat out of boredom. I'd eat some veggies or have an apple or small piece of cheese. If it happened frequently I'd have to re-look at my daily calories.
  • tuckerrj
    tuckerrj Posts: 1,453 Member
    Options
    I usually have a cup of decaf coffee or tea. It usually subsides or lessens.