Over 40 fat busters/metabolism boosters? Dr Oz

Options
*disclaimer that I am not advising anyone to take any of these things and I am not a doctor or expert in ANY way!* :)
Just recalling a tv show I saw...

So I watched this Dr Oz show for the first time today about how hard it is to lose weight once you hit 40 (which I will be in a week..yikes). Not sure if this has been posted yet or not or how the community feels about suppliments but I thought I would share it since I thought it was interesting.
A personal trainer recommended what she called natural and safe suppliments that Dr Oz supported.

-Konjac Root Fiber - Supposedly keeps you fuller longer while regulating hormones to help lose weight. Said to take 20-30 mins before a meal. most potent natural fiber. Drink a lot of water with it.
-Shirataki Noodles- this was in the same group with the fiber above. They said this is found in asian markets, has tons of fiber and NO calories?? To season them and cook with chicken and broccoli or whatever you would serve noodles with.
-Raspberry Ketones- Helps burn fat, take once a day.
-L-Carnitine- 500 mg twice a day (but check dosages) Gives energy/burns fat.
-White Kidney Bean Extract- Supposedly a natural extract that blocks CARBS rom being absorbed because they can't be broken down into sugar which makes your blood sugar spike and fall. take before a meal with carbs.

The "expert" said you wouldn't take ALL of these things together. Find one or two that work for you or try them one at a time to see if it helps.

Anyone have any experience with these things? If nothing else the NO calorie asian noodles would be interesting if actually edible. I'll have to google them to see about the ingredients and what else they contain.

Replies

• dtdemarcus
    Options
    bumping so I can keep an eye on this thread :)
  • Rubie81
    Rubie81 Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    I'm interested in finding out more information on that Konjac Root Fiber. I am always up for more fiber.
  • Rubie81
    Rubie81 Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    Just a quick search and I found this on that Konjac Root Fiber:
    Konjac fiber and glucomannan supplements for weight loss are promoted on the Internet and elsewhere. Despite the findings of that 1984 study, I would be skeptical of the claims. You also should know that some countries, including Australia, have banned a number of weight-loss products containing glucomannan, which were found to cause choking when caught in the throat.

If you're interested in konjac fiber, try some of the traditional Japanese foods such as shirataki noodles or konnyaku. I've eaten them frequently in Japan and like their novel textures. You should be able to find them in Asian markets or you can order them online.

Andrew Weil, M.D.
  • juliapurpletoes
    juliapurpletoes Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    I have tried the noodles and the root fiber.....both did fill me up but I really didn't notice any miracle difference. No big changes,etc.

Not really one to take the other kinds of supplements....reall food is best for me.

As far as metabolism after 40......being 52.....i was really curious and what brought me to MFP actually.

What I found out from many lovely folks here on MFP that metabolism drops due to muscle loss that is inevitable when you age. BUT, it is not unstoppable!!! (my spelling is bad tonight sorry)

Regular routine of weight lifting worked into you fitness routine will do wonders for your metabolism.

Weight training = stronger muscles = picked up metabolism!

Don't blow your money on all the miracle stuff, really....EAT CLEAN foods and wkeep working out - add weight if you haven't already and just know it will work.

:flowerforyou:
  • julsofdenial
    julsofdenial Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Just a quick search and I found this on that Konjac Root Fiber:
    Konjac fiber and glucomannan supplements for weight loss are promoted on the Internet and elsewhere. Despite the findings of that 1984 study, I would be skeptical of the claims. You also should know that some countries, including Australia, have banned a number of weight-loss products containing glucomannan, which were found to cause choking when caught in the throat.

If you're interested in konjac fiber, try some of the traditional Japanese foods such as shirataki noodles or konnyaku. I've eaten them frequently in Japan and like their novel textures. You should be able to find them in Asian markets or you can order them online.

Andrew Weil, M.D.
    Good find..thanks!
  • ❤B☩❤
    ❤B☩❤ Posts: 634
    Options
    bumping so I can keep an eye on this thread :)

I'll bump along with you!!
  • lizalmp1234
    lizalmp1234 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • mrphil86
    mrphil86 Posts: 2,382 Member
    Options
    -L-Carnitine- 500 mg twice a day (but check dosages) Gives energy/burns fat.

Love the stuff. I always use it. Mix it in my shakes.
  • FAYEGLORY
    FAYEGLORY Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I SEEN THE SHOW TODAY THEN WENT TO HIS SITE AND WROTE THEM DOWN PLUS FOUND SO MANY RECIPES TOO. LOVE DR. OZ. THIS MAN KNOWS HIS STUFF. HERE'S THE LINK IF ANYONE WANTS TO CHECK IT OUT!
    http://www.doctoroz.com/videos/boost-your-declining-metabolism?page=3#copy GO DOWN TO PARAGRAPH 6 TO READ ABOUT THE SUPPLEMENTS!!
  • haulinbuns
    haulinbuns Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I take L-Carnitine- twice a day, at breakfast and before lunch. It was recommended to me by my doctor. I had my metabolism tested and found it to be very low. The supplement was one of the things that helped me break my plateau.
  • julsofdenial
    julsofdenial Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I take L-Carnitine- twice a day, at breakfast and before lunch. It was recommended to me by my doctor. I had my metabolism tested and found it to be very low. The supplement was one of the things that helped me break my plateau.
    Thanks, good to know. :)
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options
    l-carnitine is banned from Canada, not for health reasons, but because of politics. While it is not illegal to possess, it is illegal to import so it is confiscated at the border.
  • vandajw
    vandajw Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    My dietician had told me to try the konjac capsule as really struggling with weight no matter what I do :(
  • naturesfempower
    naturesfempower Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I am over 40 and losing weight. What is working for me is G- BOMBS, avoiding processed and prepackaged food, and exercise. I am leery of "quick" pill solutions.
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    OP is from 2011
  • bethlaf
    bethlaf Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    As i have stated before - SCIENTIFICALLY a KETONE is a SCENT Molecule- not a liquid drop so you would be paying for something that is the ephermal scent of a raspberry.....
    for the money, just eat 20 lbs of raspberries over the course of 3 weeks instead of the drive thru food ... sorry sarcasm on the last line..

an organic compound containing a carbonyl group =C=O bonded to two hydrocarbon groups, made by oxidizing secondary alcohols. The simplest such compound is acetone.

http://www.diabetes.org/living-with-diabetes/treatment-and-care/blood-glucose-control/checking-for-ketones.html
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    Dr. Oz is a quack... don't pay ANY attention to that media *kitten*.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Wow, this topic was started almost 3 years ago.....and Dr. Oz's advice hasn't gotten any better. :tongue:
  • krawhitham
    krawhitham Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    I buy Shirataki noodles once in a while. They're in the main grocery store here, so I don't have to go an asian specialty food store to get them. They basically adopt the taste of whatever you cook/fry them with. They're not a staple in my diet or anything, and I eat calorie-ridden ramen noodles on a semi regular basis too.

They're just noodles.
  • Lrdoflamancha
    Lrdoflamancha Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Dr. Oz is a quack... don't pay ANY attention to that media *kitten*.

Most definitely agree... Emphatically