Help with what foods to eat?

Options
I need to start eating healthier foods. I eat pretty well, but I eat too many processed foods.
Can I have some sample meals and snacks you eat pretty often?
If needed, my daily intake goal is around 1550.
Thanks in advance!

Replies

• JulieF11
    JulieF11 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    My favorite five snacks:
    1) 90 calorie frozen endamame bags... just put in the microwave for 3 minutes and its done. YUM!
    2) low-fat moz cheese sticks, only 60 cals and stick with you.
    3) mini sweet peppers and broil them for a few minutes... they get even sweeter. Super good!
    4) Dannons Fit & Lite Toasted Coconut Vanilla yogurt (90 cals I think)
    5) Frozen cooked shrimp (throw em in the micro)

My favorite meals:
    I like the frozen Michelina's Lean meals... just a dollar and under 300 cals. My favorite is the Buffalo Chicken rolls, only 200 calories.
  • cconeill
    cconeill Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Chicken, Steamfresh veggies, Almonds, Steel Cut Oatmeal, Egg whites, Protein Shake, Cheese,
  • palasa
    palasa Posts: 4
    Options
    Bell pepper with hummis
    celery with salsa ( sounds bad but taste great)
    Almonds.. 28 are usually around 170 cal,,,, i take half of that ( keeps you feeling full)
    asparagus boiled with a little olive oil and basomic vinager.
    fruit
    greek yogurt ( plane)
    whip creams with fruit.
    any fruits and vegs will be better then process founds.... keep away from cramberries... alot of calaries
    good luck
  • ellenangel
    ellenangel Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I don't eat a ton of heavily processed foods but also hate cooking so none of my meals are gourmet/complicated! I eat a lot of sandwiches and the possibilities are endless- wholegrain bread/pita/wrap with a spreading of hummus, topped with turkey/tuna and some sliced tomato is delicious. I have started eating more vegetarian foods because buying deli meat that isn't heavily processed/with a ton of added sodium/odd ingredients adds up!

Scrambled eggs are easy enough- 1 egg + 2 egg whites, throw in some low fat feta for extra flavor and eat on a toasted wholewheat English muffin.

Batch cooking is good too- ie, if you make a huge pot of chicken and bean chilli on the weekend, you can freeze it in portions and eat it for days! On top of rice or baked sweet potato is good. Or roast a bunch of vegetables and use to add to salads/sandwiches during the week (roast vegetables, pesto and a little mozzarella cheese is an amazing topping for sandwiches, pasta, baked potato...anything!)

Stir-fries are another easy/healthy option. Veg, protein (I really like seitan or tofu) and a sauce- these can be really high in sodium but a delicious one is by mixing 1 tbsp peanut butter, splash of low sodium soy sauce and some chilli sauce- throw in at the end of cooking and it melts/coats perfectly.

Breakfast ideas: almond butter and banana on wholegrain toast, oatmeal (flavor with vanilla, cinnamon, banana whipped in during cooking, little honey/brown sugar- make with milk for a MUCH better taste) and add in some fresh fruit like blueberries or pineapple at the end.

Planning ahead is a really good idea so you can stock up on things to throw together easily- and I always have ready-made foods that I buy on hand that aren't too heavily processed. More expensive than my old products but they taste so much better so I end up using less because they are so much more satisfying than ones crammed full of unnecessary ingredients.

Staples in my kitchen:
    - ready made pesto and spaghetti sauce (I like Newman's Own)
    - Annie's Organics salad dressing
    - hummus (great in place of salad dressing)
    - Amy's frozen veg burgers (SO good)
    - ready-made filled past like ravioli (love this because it cooks in 2-3 mins! It's pretty calorie dense so I eat 1/2 the portions I use to eat but bulk out by throwing a ton of chopped veg in while it cooks so the extra cost of a "cleaner" brand works out okay!)
  • north35
    north35 Posts: 70
    Options
    bump :)