Prednisone Weight Gain

Options
Hey everyone! I've been taking Prednisone on and off for years and am finally getting to a point where I can exercise consistently. (I have steroid-dependent asthma.) Does anyone have any tips for losing about 25 lbs. I've gained while taking it? Thanks!

Replies

• uchuha
    uchuha Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I wish I knew. Actually I've been able to slow the weight gain, but so far I haven't been able to reverse it. I've been taking prednisone for 3 years and have only gained 10kg, which I'm told is pretty good, but I'd like to actually lose.

It seems to be that exercise is the main thing. When I work out a lot I lose for a little while, but if you look at might weight graph there are lots of ups and downs. If I slack off a little for even a week it starts to go up again. There doesn't seem to be any possibility of levelling off.
  • Wronkletoad
    Wronkletoad Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    pred is definitely a toughie. agreed that it's a constant struggle.

I go about it with working on CV fitness, both endurance and sprint; working on increasing strength (squats, deadlifts, press). "clean" diet is also crucial. all of these are duhs, but nodding to Uchuha, it's really hard. focus on the elements that are easier to control objectively (hence, endurance, speed, strength, good diet). then see how your weight responds.

As usual when meds are messing with our systems, YMMV, but at least with some of those measures, you can try to keep fitness up.

(and MAKE SURE, DAMMIT, TO GET YOUR BONE HEALTH CHECKED!!!!!! LONG TERM STEROID USE IS A BIG BIG RISK FACTOR FOR MALE AND FEMALE OSTEOPOROSIS!!!!)