anything you dont count in daily calories?

Options

Replies

• Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    I don't bother to log the sprinkle of salt I put on my veggies at dinner, or the pepper I liberally cast onto my buttered noodles, because it isn't enough to even register on the scale and because sprinkling it out of a half-full 1/8 tsp measure doesn't spread it evenly over my plate ;) but I log mints, condiments, most other spices. I thought I HAD to when I started, so I did; now I continue because it's habit.
  • VanillaBeanSeed
    VanillaBeanSeed Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    JaneiR36 wrote: »
    Gum, coffee, drink mixes, spices & condiments, diet sodas and drinks, sweeteners - basically your typical 5 calories or less items

You dont count condiments?

Those can really add up depending on what your eating!

Good point, it does depend on what kind. I'll log a little pack of honey mustard or bbq sauce, but those tiny packets of Taco Bell fire sauce or a small packet of ketchup (which I seldom use) I typically don't log. Dijon mustard, bbq sauce etc used in larger quantities in a recipe do get logged

The first thing that came to my mind when reading condiments was MAYO! Which can have tons of calories. But things like mustard - most are 0cal or 5cal - but I usually log them because of all the sodium.

I always log my ketchup & bbq sauce though - some bbq sauces I have are 60-70 cals a serving!

But - what ever works best for the individual doing it :smiley:
  • tdhdee
    tdhdee Posts: 31 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I never count gum or other sugar free breath mints. I don't eat a bunch, just one or two and I did see that my gum is 5 calories. I also never count my coffee (I drink it black). But I do log things like condiments (ketchup, mustard) because those have higher calorie counts per serving. To me it's part of the meal. My gum isn't. LOL
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    Gum, coffee, drink mixes, spices & condiments, diet sodas and drinks, sweeteners - basically your typical 5 calories or less items

You dont count condiments?

Those can really add up depending on what your eating!

Good point, it does depend on what kind. I'll log a little pack of honey mustard or bbq sauce, but those tiny packets of Taco Bell fire sauce or a small packet of ketchup (which I seldom use) I typically don't log. Dijon mustard, bbq sauce etc used in larger quantities in a recipe do get logged

The first thing that came to my mind when reading condiments was MAYO! Which can have tons of calories. But things like mustard - most are 0cal or 5cal - but I usually log them because of all the sodium.

I always log my ketchup & bbq sauce though - some bbq sauces I have are 60-70 cals a serving!

But - what ever works best for the individual doing it :smiley:

Yeah I don't track sodium or other micronutrients, barely keep an eye on my macros other than to try to get enough protein
  • rivka_m
    rivka_m Posts: 1,007 Member
    Options
    Coffee, condiments (I prefer low calorie ones like dill pickles, mustard & vinegar anyway), onion/garlic, herbs & spices, salt. I also estimate fruit & veggies if they are plain and not part of a recipe. I have to may change the fruit & veggie estimating now that my deficit is so low.

I should note I don't track sodium at all, some of the above would definitely skew a sodium count.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    I don't log herbs, spices, garlic, some condiments, small bites and tastes, low cal veggies sometimes if I can't be bothered.
  • Lorleee
    Lorleee Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Out of curiosity I've been logging everything this go-round (after putting on 10 lbs) but I've lost weight previously without ever worrying about counting vegetables (provided they weren't covered in dressings, sauces, etc.) and it has never been a detriment to my weight loss.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    garlic. I get a protein shake once a week and log everything in it except for the scoop of fiber.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    Gum
  • raventwo
    raventwo Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    water, coffee, tea, and pickles - if the jar says 0 calories per serving. I count everything else, including garlic cloves when cooking.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    raventwo wrote: »
    water, coffee, tea, and pickles - if the jar says 0 calories per serving. I count everything else, including garlic cloves when cooking.

Don't pickles have more calories than garlic. There's at least 5-10 in each.
  • lexbubbles
    lexbubbles Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    zeal26 wrote: »
    I don't count my cordial (fruit concentrate I sometimes add to my water). I can't really be bothered measuring it and it's not much anyway.

This. I also don't log green tea most of the time because it is 0 cal.

I don't bother logging spices, either - although I do log stuff like vanilla essence in my baking.
  • lillyrose2020
    lillyrose2020 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    The only thing I do not log is drinks, which only consists of tea, water and very occasionally fruit juice. I log condiments because I like mayo which all adds up.
  • meridianova
    meridianova Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    i don't log anything that has less than 5 calories, so that covers my crystal lite drink packets (i use half a packet per 32oz of water) or diet soda. i also don't bother logging spices because overall, they aren't adding much of anything to the total recipe.
  • amcook4
    amcook4 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    Tea (nothing else is added) & diet cola.

I also don't track herbs & spices, except for salt. I cook with a lot of flavor, and I used to add them all in, but because I use so many herbs/spices it was a lot of logging and hardly any calories.
  • llUndecidedll
    llUndecidedll Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    I don't count unsweetened tea or coffee, diet pop, water, seasoning, fish oil supplements, yellow mustard (most of the time), lettuce (most of the time), sugar free gum, Pam cooking spray. Basically anything that's pretty much 0ish calories.
  • jessready
    jessready Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I log it all even spices. I figure this way I have a log if a medical issue would come up.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    I don't log spices.

I do log condiments, but for ketchup, I log the next serving up rather than take time to enter the exact amount.
  • GeeWillickers
    GeeWillickers Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I don't log coffee and tea because I take them straight mostly. If I'm adding milk, cream, sugar or honey I always log it
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    Water and tea, basically. Everything else gets logged, for now.

I may get a little more casual about small things later on. But at the moment I'm logging not only to count calories, but to make sure I'm getting adequate nutrition within those calories. Logging everything helps me make sure my vitamins and nutrients are high enough and my sodium and such are low enough.