I wake up in the middle of the night and eat. I can't stop!!

Options
Wondering if anyone out there has this same issue...

Up until the beginning of the year, I've always been fine at sleeping, and would hardly wake during the night... and if I did, I wouldn't raid my kitchen.

I started exercising (strength training and a little bit of cardio) back in January, and I think the night eating began in May. When I started exercising, I was trying to limit my calories to around 1200, plus more from exercise. I wasn't losing weight, but I was more focused on becoming an active person. I also decided to quit drinking in April/May, but didn't actually stop until June. I wasn't a person who drank every day, but I always drank too much when I could sneak out of the house.

So this year has been totally different. Trying to quit all the bad habits and form new ones. I do have some anxiety/depression, but exercising and healthy eating has really helped relieve the depression, but my anxiety is still slightly present. My father and my aunt were both night eaters, but I think they both did while they were asleep. I am totally awake and remember doing it when I wake up again in the morning. I do have trouble remembering what I ate exactly. It's an uncontrollable urge-- I literally feel like I'm going to jump out of my skin if I don't eat something-- I usually want something chocolatey or peanut butter. 90% of the time I eat a peanut butter sandwich because I don't usually have treats in my house (for this very reason!) I know there are way worse things I could eat, but still, a peanut butter sandwich can be 500 calories!

I try to coach myself when I get into bed at night and tell myself "just don't eat... just don't eat"... thinking like it's some kind of hypnosis that will stop me... in the past few months, I think I managed to not wake up 4 nights to eat. But every other night I do.

So, what I'm wondering is: has anyone else experienced this, or is experiencing this now? What do you think brought it on if you weren't always a night-eater? If you overcame it, what steps did you take to stop?

Replies

• Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    Unless you are very short, 1200 is probably too little for you. You should recalculate to losing a pound a week since you have less than 50 pounds to lose. You can also try to plan your night snack by preparing a small sandwich and have it measured and logged. It may also have something to do with the time you exercise. I find I wake at night hungry if I do cardio late in the day.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    1200 calories.

Yeah, that's a recipe for success.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Eat a reasonable amount during the day to adequately fulfill your nutritional needs so you don't wake up so hungry at night. I also like the idea of logging and setting out a snack, but hopefully eating enough during the day would solve your issue.
  • astronomicals
    astronomicals Posts: 1,537 Member
    Options
    Your protein is often well below 100. If you consistently eat at night your body will expect it. Your circadian rhythm dictates these things. Its the same reason that messed up sleep patterns can be hard to revert back to normal. If you cant stop it than try and make it all protein. Eating 30 grams of protein in the middle of the night couldn't hurt.
  • madhouse88
    madhouse88 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I don't actually eat 1200 calories-- I should have clarified that in the OP. When I first started exercising and watching calories, I tried doing it that way based on MFP's recommendations. Now that I've done some research, I usually eat around 1400-1600, more if I exercise or go out for dinner with someone, etc. How many grams of protein should I eat a day? I'm definitely going to start preparing my snack at night. It's stupid that I even have to do that, but because it seems I can't stop/control, it might be the best solution for now. I think it's a mental thing... something in my brain. I honestly dont even feel hungry when I wake up, I just have an intense craving. Like the most intense craving for anything. Worse than a cigarette craving!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    If it' s a problem- and preparing a quick snack before bed is the solution- it's not stupid. It's wise.
    -
    Secondly- if you need to just eat before you go to bed- then eat before you go to bed- I have trained myself to have dessert before bed time- now I get hissy fitted with myself if I don't have a sweet treat before bed- so I save small things like individually wrapped peppermint paddies- 50 calories- single serving wrapped- easy to grab on my way- that way if I don't have room for other food like ice cream- I can at least have THAT.

Don't fight it if there is an easy solution- if the easy solution is a prepared snack- do it. don't over think it and make it harder than it is :)
  • mcraburn123
    mcraburn123 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    start intermittent fasting and schedule your eating window later in the day so if you wake up and eat something it wont matter as long as its in your eating window.