Why I Juice Veggies...

Options
50sFit
50sFit Posts: 712 Member
edited October 2014 in Food and Nutrition
m9uuh81jbrlh.png
That's why...

I know I should eat veggies, but I won't. I kept saying I'd choke down the minimum every day, and after a few days, nope! :s

SOLUTION: I juice a full spectrum of healthy veggies with apples, berries, grapes and just about any fruit you could name. I love fruit, so this is how I get my daily supply of loathsome veggies.

I juice the fruit and then mix in the veggies with a blender as I add back in some of the fruit pulp. This gives me a great mix of taste and fiber along with all the vitamins and minerals my body needs. My wife takes the remaining fruit pulp and bakes various things we feed the kids for breakfast. NO WASTE!

My goal is to drink a half gallon every day.
DONE!

Replies

• 50sFit
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Here is a great source for juicing recipes!
    https://juicerecipes.com/

Again, I like to either add back in some of the pulp or blend this with veggies.

• dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    lol, your photoshoppin' skills.

I juice stuff because it's delicious. I'd probably sell off someone's child for a gallon of carrot juice.
  • JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    Options
    I'm considering a Vitamix for the same reasons. But I actually want the pulp/fiber that a juicer would take out.
  • 50sFit
    Options
    I'm considering a Vitamix for the same reasons. But I actually want the pulp/fiber that a juicer would take out.
    That's why I blend in the veggies. The juicer takes out all the pulp, and sometimes I just add it back in.

• 50sFit
    edited October 2014
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    lol, your photoshoppin' skills.

I juice stuff because it's delicious. I'd probably sell off someone's child for a gallon of carrot juice.
    Juicing had been for me the single best investment of time and money when it comes to diet.
    As for my photoshop skills - well, that still needs work B)

• dbmata
    Options
    Right now my big favorite is:
    Donkey's lunch worth of carrots
    a bunch of kale
    half a bunch of flat leaf parsley
    knob of ginger
    small bosc pear
  • astronomicals
    astronomicals Posts: 1,537 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    damn... thats a lotta juice. A half gallon of organic juice would be like $40 in supplies using an Omega.

i dont hate veggies though

potatoes with bacon grease and sour cream
    carrots or cauliflower with Opa ranch
    broccoli, beets, or corn with seasoned salt
    asparagus with veri veri teriyaki
    root vegetable soup
    grilled veggie shishkabob is my favorite
    etc

no way im eating that garbage plain and uncooked though. not a chance

ftr, all these things are worse than a big piece of meat, though, they do pair well, imo
  • Hungry_Annie
    Hungry_Annie Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    i hate veggies too! I bought a juicer a while back, but i returned it because of the lack of fiber and whatnot. I would like to splurge and get a Vitamix or one of those fancy machines. I have a good blender, but it would be cool to get an extractor.
  • dbmata
    Options
    an extractor would put you back at square one of juice but no fiber.
  • JeffseekingV
    Options
    At a fair, I tried a Vitamix. They used spinach, apple juice, a banana and ice. Amazingly, it tasted great. It was just green.
  • JeffseekingV
    Options
    50sFit wrote: »
    That's why I blend in the veggies. The juicer takes out all the pulp, and sometimes I just add it back in.

Isn't the juice a pain to clean? If you add the pulp back in, isn't that resulting in a chunky mess? I mean I understand if you already have a juicer though. Getting into a Vitamix is $300 min for a refurbished one. $250 for a bottom of the line refurb

• 50sFit
    Options
    i hate veggies too! I bought a juicer a while back, but i returned it because of the lack of fiber and whatnot. I would like to splurge and get a Vitamix or one of those fancy machines. I have a good blender, but it would be cool to get an extractor.
    Yep, and this is why I add back in some of the fruit pulp, then use a blender to mix in the veggies.

• 50sFit
    edited October 2014
    Options
    50sFit wrote: »

Isn't the juice a pain to clean? If you add the pulp back in, isn't that resulting in a chunky mess? I mean I understand if you already have a juicer though. Getting into a Vitamix is $300 min for a refurbished one. $250 for a bottom of the line refurb
    It's a terrible mess!
    I juice/blend 4 gallons which usually last me 4 days, so it's worth the effort.
    My Jack Lalanne juicer cost was around $100, and the blender was around $50. I've had both just over 2 years.