Videos vs. gym vs. outdoors - Need some direction

Options
I can't decide what to do.

First I thought the gym would be the best option. It's right in our building, it's free. Seemed like the ideal choice. I picked a weight training program online and realized really quickly that the gym didn't have half the equipment needed, or it was so busy all the time you couldn't really follow the program.

I thought about doing videos (Beachbody, etc). But, I would have to do them in the gym. I actually saw a guy doing these videos in my old apartment gym, but that place was three times the size. He just pulled up a chair, put his laptop on top and away he went.

It's all about variety and what keeps me motivated. I think the right weight training program would keep me interested, but some of the Beachbody vids look like they are very unique and different. I suppose I could also do a mix of a few things.

I think half the time I quit working out is because I get bored with the routine.

Replies

• jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    My first suggestion would be to stop thinking/posting/making excuses.

Beyond that, I can't really say... personal preference and your individual goals should dictate what you do.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    I see excuses.
  • jrline
    jrline Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    Outdoors worked great for me. Good Luck

29509743.png
  • nogreenthumb
    Options
    Good advice. You are right. That was a post that should have just said the following:

"The reason I'm not working out is NOT because the leg press machine is broken, but instead it's because I choose to sit on my fat *kitten* and drink beer".

Thanks.
  • dbmata
    Options
    Sometimes it has to be said.

However, sometimes you just gotta sit on your *kitten* and drink beer. Otherwise there are good brewers that may lose their jobs.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    There are programs like convict conditioning and you are your own gym (also an app) that allow you to have a progressive resistance program with no equipment at all. There's also free yoga videos online, and you can always go walk or run. Or just find a slightly less convenient gym that has better equipment. I go almost as soon as they open so that most of the racks are free.

Find what works and do it. The exercise you enjoy is what you will stick with long term.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Good advice. You are right. That was a post that should have just said the following:

"The reason I'm not working out is NOT because the leg press machine is broken, but instead it's because I choose to sit on my fat *kitten* and drink beer".

Thanks.

I think the point being that you just need to get rolling...start something. It is likely that you will change directions numerous times over the coming months...I don't know anyone who just discovered their fitness passion right off the bat. People do things...then they do other things...then they switch gears again...then maybe they really find their passion. The key is to at least get started.

Your first job doesn't have to be your dream job...and it rarely if ever is...but that doesn't mean you just keep on passing up jobs.
  • nogreenthumb
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    Sometimes it has to be said.

However, sometimes you just gotta sit on your *kitten* and drink beer. Otherwise there are good brewers that may lose their jobs.

This is true. I would hate to be "that one" who contributed to a brewery closing down!
  • BeginningNoStop
    BeginningNoStop Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

Thanks.

I think the point being that you just need to get rolling...start something. It is likely that you will change directions numerous times over the coming months...I don't know anyone who just discovered their fitness passion right off the bat. People do things...then they do other things...then they switch gears again...then maybe they really find their passion. The key is to at least get started.

Your first job doesn't have to be your dream job...and it rarely if ever is...but that doesn't mean you just keep on passing up jobs.

This applies to me as well. You have to start somewhere
  • nogreenthumb
    Options
    Good point. I'm going to try a few things, see what sticks. The most important thing though is I'm going to get moving.

• dbmata
    Options
    Good point. I'm going to try a few things, see what sticks. The most important thing though is I'm going to get moving.

Why not pick something you want to do and train for that?

Pick a destination, and then plan the journey, so to speak.
  • nogreenthumb
    Options
    I want to be able to run a 5k and lift heavy weights.

I'm thinking C25K and StrongLifts, however that might be overkill.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options

Strong lifts or starting strength, then just run on your own (slow and steady... you'll get there... a 5k isn't hard).

• dbmata
    Options

Why is that overkill?

I lift, run, bike, swim. Granted, I'm slow on the run.
  • nogreenthumb
    Options
    Thanks for all your encouragement! I'm actually excited to be hitting the gym tonight, instead of making some lame excuse (I have to clean, I have to cook, it will be crowded, I'm bored, I'm hungry, I'm cold, I just washed my hair.....)
  • dbmata
    Options
    cold is the best one, you warm up quick. ;)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »

Why not pick something you want to do and train for that?

Pick a destination, and then plan the journey, so to speak.

This helps a lot in establishing independent fitness goals and thus greater direction. When I was getting started out a couple of years ago, I didn't have a clue...I knew my more active and fit friends tended to do a lot of running and did 5Ks and whatnot...so I started there. I trained for a few of 5Ks and did a few events...I also picked up weight lifting in the process.

As time went on I found myself not really liking to run all of the time and I found standard 5Ks to be kind of boring...my mom was training for a sprint triathlon, so I decided to do that as well...hell, if my 60 year old mom can then I have nothing but excuses right?

I ended up injuring myself a couple of weeks before the event and wasn't able to participate...but there was a silver lining here...I discovered my passion for my bike. Mind you, this is almost a year into this little safari of good livin'. I don't really run anymore...I do a bit of swimming here and there to mix things up in the summer, but primarily I ride...I ride...and I ride some more. I've done a couple of 1/2 century events and I'm working towards doing a full probably next spring. I wouldn't have discovered my passion for riding though, had I not just started the process...that's what you have to remember...it's all process.

• dbmata
    Options
    Yup, my initial goal was to look so amazing women and men were just throwing their numbers at me.

Now it's because I like picking heavy crap up, and going to very high places.
  • blukelly85
    blukelly85 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

Your first job doesn't have to be your dream job...and it rarely if ever is...but that doesn't mean you just keep on passing up jobs.[/quote]

Great advice. I needed to hear... read this as well. Thanks

• MandiH2017
    MandiH2017 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Why not do all three? I have to mix it up or I get bored & quit working out.