Question for the girls of MFP...

Options
Hi,

Apologies if this is a bit of a 'TMI' question but does anyone find that their menstrual cycle is affected when they start a new diet/exercise regime? I get the feeling mine has been thrown completely off whack and I was just wondering if others had experienced this, and whether it's regulated?

Sorry if this isn't the right board to post on.

Lu x

Replies

• yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I dont know, Ive only had about 250 periods, so i havent figured out yet if outside variables can affect it at all.

Yes it is affected temporarily in many cases, just as with stress, little sleep, different eating habits, more activity... Did you notice? How many cycles have you completed while exercising? What patterns have you noted.

It's not about food so much as change and different stress on your body. What you need to do is nothing, just remember that it happens and let your body readjust.
  • liquoricecat
    liquoricecat Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    And I've experienced sarcasm over 250 times so I know it when I see it.

All I wanted to know is whether it regulates in the end or whether it's a sign that I should be upping my calories a little more (to be fair I didn't put that in the original post so maybe I deserve a sarcastic response...)
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    I do get the munchies when I'm on my period. The first week of a diet can be challenging, so I try not to start it at the same time.

I've noticed no difference in my cycle due to dieting. It probably helps that my cycle is regulated by the pill though...
  • chelseavanchilli
    chelseavanchilli Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    If you're eating the necessary amounts of each food group and nutrients, it should go back to normal..but if your calorie intake is pretty low than yes, it might affect your cycle. I only noticed mine going a bit off course once when I restricted carbs too much, but dieting in general hasn't affected me noticeably. Hope it helps :)
  • stacyjh1979
    stacyjh1979 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I have an IUD and I don't get periods but this is what I found regarding weight loss and menstrual cycles:

http://weightloss.answers.com/side-effects/can-weight-loss-and-exercise-affect-your-period
    http://www.everydayhealth.com/pms/weight-and-your-cycle.aspx

I can say from past experience though that typically the faster you're losing weight the more it can be affected. When you get to the point where you do not have as much to lose and/or it is coming off slower you are likely to go back to a more "normal" cycle.

And for whatever it's worth I don't think a sarcastic reply was necessary but I've noticed a lot of people on the forums would rather be a smart *kitten* than to actually try to help someone else.
  • lillyrose2020
    lillyrose2020 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I'm no expert but I don't think it should be affected in less you are massively under eating? How many calories are you eating?
  • stacyjh1979
    stacyjh1979 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    LOL interesting I didn't know mfp was censoring our language now...that's funny!
  • Winterlover123
    Winterlover123 Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    For me, it was a HUGE change from junk food and sitting on my butt to working out and eating healthy. Mine went crazy! after a while mine did balance out
  • jennifurballs
    jennifurballs Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I eat pretty low cal. and mine hasn't been affected at all. I'm also not on any sort of birth control. If it's concerning you, discuss it with your doc. and maybe that'll give you some peace of mind.

I wish menopause would come on and I could be finished with it altogether!
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    I didn't not see any major changes with mine.
  • missjazminenicole
    missjazminenicole Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Yes, a period can be skipped or delayed due to a change in fitness routine. I skip mine every time I start a new work out plan.
  • ThatLadyFromMN
    ThatLadyFromMN Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Well, when I was on the swim team in high school sometimes I wouldn't get a period or it would be super light from all the crazy workouts we did. So I believe that exercise and your diet could totally mess with your menstrual cycle. When I was a lot bigger than I am now/less active I would get my period maybe once ever 4 months, there was a stint there where I only got it once or twice a year. Now that I have lost a bunch of weight and pretty physically active it's back to being once a month though the number of days varies (TMI: and heaviness). Hope that helps, I don't mind being TMI girl in the slightest, we're human, we're females, we have the same equipment and shouldn't feel shy about talking about it. :)
  • Hollisss
    Hollisss Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    No change with mine. I've been 100 lbs overweight and normal weight.
  • Lift_Run_Eat
    Lift_Run_Eat Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    What you are eating will also affect your hormone production which can affect your cycles.

• Tiamo719
    Tiamo719 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Mine has never been affected by diet or exercise. However, turning 49 has really affected it ;)
  • DiabolicalColossus
    DiabolicalColossus Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    This is a question better suited for your doctor.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    For me, my TOM has become shorter/more efficient and with less PMS type issues. I figure a healthier, fit body works better.
  • RaspberryTickleChicken
    Options
    I think generally, weight & diet will have some impact on hormones. It may impact some more than others.

Aside from the standard affair of extra carb cravings, I would say it hasn't had a huge impact on me personally.
  • vamaena
    vamaena Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    This may be TMI of an answer but before I started losing weight I pretty much didn't have a period. It was once a year or so and was pretty much just spotting. Now that I've lost nearly 50 lbs it's started to kick up again and it's been pretty irregular. I know as I keep losing it will eventually balance itself out and figure out what it wants to do. I'm going to say that it just takes time so be patient with it. It should eventually smooth itself out and if it doesn't in a few months then consider seeing your doctor as there might be some other underlying problem. It's most likely the change of diet and exercise.
  • Numberwang22
    Numberwang22 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    For some reason more painful the more weight I've lost?! I really hoped healthier eating and exercise would help, but not so much.