Getting married in a year & wanna shed lbs!

Options
My fiancé is in the Army and overseas in Afghanistan. He comes home for two weeks in July, will be back for good in March, and our wedding is in May of 2012. I want to look amazing for him at our wedding. I was always active in high school, but now after 3 years of college under my belt I'm starting to notice that I'm out of shape and need to be watching what I eat. Hopefully this website (and the awesome myfitnesspal app on my blackberry) can help me reach my goals. Any tips on beating the cravings for bread and sweets would be very helpful! Good luck to every one! -Katy

Replies

• mvonk1016
    mvonk1016 Posts: 19
    Options
    i have cut the majority of them out, however you would never know that i did in the last couple of days. Darn easter candy!!! anyway, i have upped my water intake and my veggie intake, which has helped alot. i dont crave the bread, and i have it here and there. same with the sweets. it also helps if they are not in the house easily available. Big thing is the water intake for me, if i am not drinking it like i havnt been the last couple of days i end up eating lots and lots of sweets. :blushing:

Good luck

ME
  • janetmae
    janetmae Posts: 2
    Options
    When I get a craving for something I either go for a walk or eat something healthy.
    For example, When I want something sweet, I'll eat a banana or an apple.
    Good luck with the weight loss!! :)
  • Heatherbelle_87
    Heatherbelle_87 Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me Im not a military wife, but a girlfriend in the past, daughter and great friend to many currently and through the years. I have helped many survive deployments and their families survive stateside while they were gone.

I have had to beat the cravings myself! And have been very successful with it. Every approach will work differently. Some will tell you to throw it all out and cut it out, My approach is the reduce & substitute.

I recently moved home with my parents who eat primarily gluten free, and my sister is here for a couple of months who eats clean. I have learned the beauty in rice pasta (which is lower calorie and still good nutritionally) thin sliced bread (I can barely eat normal slices anymore) lean proteins and cooking foods myself with more flavor and less additives (fat) I did get rid of alot of sweets but with two toddlers there is still some temptation in the house, but my will power is much better then it used to be. I eat in moderation and choose veggie laden meals when I eat out. I havent liked many fast foods since getting pregnant with my don. Depending on what state/town you are in will decide what grocery stores are available but here with have Fresh & Easy and Sprouts which carry primarily natural foods, fruits, veggies & organics (I prefer sprouts) Cooking for one isnt always fun but 90% of my recipes can be pared down to 1-2 servings and if youre a left over eater pre-preparing and protioning your foods will be a HUGE help
  • dd_salas
    dd_salas Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Allowing yourself sweets that are super high in fiber is cool too. I made black bean brownies the other night, and they rock! You can do high fiber toast with a lil' honey, or almonds that are coated with cocoa powder. Be creative! (If you want to make the black bean brownies, you just take 1 can of plain black beans - try organic, they seem to have the lowest sodium - and 1 box of brownie mix. Empty the contents of the entire can of beans into your blender/food processor and puree, then mix with the package of brownie mix and pop 'em in the oven per the directions on the box. They come out SUPER fudgy, and yummy. My hubby couldn't tell that they were "good" brownies, and he is a SUPER picky eater). Good luck!