Exciting things to do with Quinoa?

Options
13»

Replies

• leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    -Add goat cheese and nuts and put it on sliced veggies (like julienned carrots, cucumbers, etc).
    -Add lemon and broccoli and feta with some dried basil
    -Use in burritos for rice
  • mirki002
    mirki002 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Here's a link to one of my favorite quinoa recipes- cilantro lime quinoa with shrimp. It's a one-bowl meal, super delicious. http://myhealthyohana.wordpress.com/2012/09/11/cilantro-lime-quinoa-with-shrimp/
  • nellyett
    nellyett Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    We ALWAYS have a batch of steelcut oats and quinoa in the fridge.....

1 cup quinoa (rinsed)
    1/2 cup steelcut oats
    1/4 cup maple syrup (or honey)
    1-2 tsp of vanilla
    cinnamon to taste
    3 cups water

Throw it in the slow cooker on high for 3 hours and voila!

when serving add whatever you like....nothing, milk, banana, nuts, whatever :)

• kender54
    kender54 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Quinoa cakes! I made mine up as I went, but this recipe looks yummy. When I made mine, I made a spicy basil sauce with mayo, basil, lemon juice, & sriacha. It was yummy.

http://www.marinmamacooks.com/2013/02/quinoa-cakes/
  • dym123
    dym123 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    This is my favorite dish - abcnews.go.com/GMA/Recipes/recipe?id=10473066

Except I replace the brown rice with quinoa and add broccoli
  • leonamuni
    Options
    What I love to do is make guacamole with tomato and red onion and stuff and mix it into cooled quinoa after its cooked. Trust me it's delicious! Alternatively, hot quinoa, miz in tomato sauce with sauteed veggies. I also like to add peas and other veggies directly into the quinoa as I'm cooking it.
  • brischu2243
    Options
    This is a really delicious recipe I found a while back. It's quinoa with corn and zucchini and feta with a lemon honey vinaigrette. It is SO delicious. The vinaigrette completely transforms it. I"m not a tomato fan, but you can put those in too if you want.

http://iowagirleats.com/2012/05/14/farmers-market-recipe-collection-farmers-market-skillet/
  • KeysGirl23
    KeysGirl23 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    eldamiano wrote: »
    Take it back to the shop and get a refund is the most exciting thing I can think of....

^ HaHa! I've tried it several ways and just can't get my taste buds around it either.
  • Newnameishardtofind
    Newnameishardtofind Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    Try quinoa spaghetti with meat sauce
  • 4flamingoz
    4flamingoz Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I use chicken stock instead of water. I use it as a filler in meatballs, soups, stuffed cabbage, with stir fried veggies. Get creative!
  • sabrina22388
    sabrina22388 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Quinoa loaf from PCC is AMAZING! You can get in the deli, but I have also made it using their deli recipe posted online. It's a great meatloaf substitute for vegans.

http://www.pccnaturalmarkets.com/pcc/recipes/pcc-quinoa-loaf
  • beckyjopdx
    beckyjopdx Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I use it in salads. I have some precooked in the Tupperware in the fridge, put a half cup on a green salad instead of croutons. or use it in a 'bowl' like Laughing Planet or such with beans and greens for lunch.
  • retropactum
    retropactum Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I am digging this Chocolate Quinoa Granola that I have. No recipes but seems simple enough to make. Perfect for breakfast.

Ingredients include oats brown rice syrup, brown sugar, coconut, almonds, sesame seeds, freeze dried berries, vanilla extract, salt, baking soda. I am planning on recreated this one.
  • Go_Mizzou99
    Go_Mizzou99 Posts: 2,628 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Check out Skinnytaste.com She has some really great recipes in general and some great ideas of quinoa (salads, main dishes, and deserts)

+1

I add it to a lot of things...especially soups because it sort-of thickens it a bit. One Skinnytaste.com recipe that is awesome is Crock Pot Sante Fe Chicken...seriously, this recipe is amazing (the whole family loves it)! I will add some quionoa into this at times.

Be sure to add lots of cool spices to the water you boil the quinoa in...much tastier then.

I will also quinoa to egg-drop soup in lieu of corn starch to make it "different" and to add a little more protein to this tasty low-cal soup (I use egg whites only).
  • fanceegirl75
    fanceegirl75 Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    I made an enchilada casserole with it in my crockpot. Cooked on high 4 hours. Was delish. I found the recipe on Pinterest. Ground turkey, black beans, frozen corn, onion, garlic, canned tomatoes, enchilada sauce and season to taste with what you prefer. I used cumin, chili powder, garlic powder, pepper and just a little salt. Top with cheese & sour cream (optional). I just ate mine in a bowl with some lettuce on the side. My daughter put her's in a tortilla.
  • maoribadger
    maoribadger Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    nellyett wrote: »
    We ALWAYS have a batch of steelcut oats and quinoa in the fridge.....

1 cup quinoa (rinsed)
    1/2 cup steelcut oats
    1/4 cup maple syrup (or honey)
    1-2 tsp of vanilla
    cinnamon to taste
    3 cups water

Throw it in the slow cooker on high for 3 hours and voila!

when serving add whatever you like....nothing, milk, banana, nuts, whatever :)

This sounds lovely