TDEE vs. MFP calorie goal

Options
Please forgive me if this has been answered before, but here goes: why is there such a difference between the TDEE-20% that IIFYM gives me and MFP's calorie recommendation? Even if I just use the couch potato settings, there's a 120 calorie difference between the two (TDEE being higher). 120 calories might not seem like much, but it adds up to over a pound per month.

Replies

• MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    Regardless of which you go with, you will still need to track things and see what number fits for your goals.
    They are really just ballpark figures, and not concrete.
    So I wouldn't get hung up over the difference of 120 calories.....

I would track things for 3 - 4 weeks, and see how you are trending in that time frame with your desired goals
  • AceoStar
    AceoStar Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I believe its because your daily goal takes your projected workout into account. If you say you'll be burning 250 a day, it adds that to the available limit. But, I'm new so who knows :dizzy_face:
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    MFP is based off the NEAT Method. This means you eat/net your calorie goal it gives you (base calorie deficit + exercise calories).

TDEE -20% includes an estimation of exercise calories so you just eat the number it gives you (no exercise calories back).
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    TDEE includes exercise calories while MFP does not. If you didn't count exercise calories and they are still different, well, really, they are both just guesses anyway. They are both based on equations that someone came up with and there are a bunch of different possible equations that people use. Basically you just pick one, use it for several weeks, and then adjust from there.

I know for me MFP is pretty low. I have to tell it I'm "very active" to get it close to what I know my TDEE is (based on previous intake and weight loss).
  • Kari121869
    Kari121869 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I've used both - and honestly I just stick to the MFP method now because I could probably count on one hand how many times I've actually ate BACK my burned cals...
    -Again you have to find what works for you... My loss has been slow (banner says 3 lbs but that's just been reset the passed month - I lost 25lbs the last year before)... play with things for 2-3 wks and if it works great - if not, then change things up.
  • johnnylakis
    johnnylakis Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    If I am not mistaken it has to do with the metric system and the rounding to the nearest 10 or so. I personally prefer MFP.
  • meglo91
    meglo91 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Folks, I wrote above that I was using the "couch potato" setting on both sites, which means that they were accounting for NO EXERCISE. (Yes, I exercise -- just wanted to see if the baseline was the same on both). So that does not explain the difference. I agree that 120 calories is not that big of a deal, but I'd like to set the best goals possible.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    meglo91 wrote: »
    Please forgive me if this has been answered before, but here goes: why is there such a difference between the TDEE-20% that IIFYM gives me and MFP's calorie recommendation? Even if I just use the couch potato settings, there's a 120 calorie difference between the two (TDEE being higher). 120 calories might not seem like much, but it adds up to over a pound per month.

First, like others have said, because TDEE includes exercise. You have to compare TDEE with MFP + exercise calories.

Second, and why the couch potato settings are different, depending on your size TDEE minus 20% probably equates to a deficit that would result in a 1 lb/week loss, possibly a little less. For example, if your couch potato TDEE is 2000, minus 20% will give you 1600, which is a 400 calorie deficit--a bit less than the 500 that results in a 1 lb weekly loss on average. If you have the same numbers and tell MFP you want a 2 lb/week loss, it will give you 1200 (the lowest it will go), because 2000 minus 1000 calories is less than 1200 (1000 calorie deficit being how big you need to lose 2 lb/week without counting exercise).
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Along with the differences with exercise calories, you have to make sure that you're using equivalent weight loss goals between the two methods if you're going to compare them. That's the other factor that tends to create a difference between the two.

MFP takes a straight number of calories off your NEAT based on how quickly you tell it you want to lose weight (500 calories to lose 1 pound a week, 1000 calories to lose 2 pounds a week, etc). But the TDEE - 20% takes off a percentage instead, which could be anything.

Let's look at someone with an assumed sedentary TDEE of 1800 calories. To lose 1 pound a week, MFP would assign them 1300 calories a day. The TDEE - 20% method would give them 1440 calories a day, but they'd be losing less than 1 pound a week this way.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    It's because they are both just estimates based upon whatever formula that particular site uses.

Pick one. Use it for a month or so. Adjust, as necessary.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Folks, I wrote above that I was using the "couch potato" setting on both sites, which means that they were accounting for NO EXERCISE. (Yes, I exercise -- just wanted to see if the baseline was the same on both). So that does not explain the difference. I agree that 120 calories is not that big of a deal, but I'd like to set the best goals possible.

They use different equations. This website alone has 3 different equations: http://iifym.com/tdee-calculator/ There are many out there. They are all just guesses. Go for the lower if you want. If you are losing weight too quickly go with the higher.
  • asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    Options

Both are calculations...depends on how many decimal points they used.
    Depends on averages both sites have used.
    Too many variables.

I can calculate 10 different TDEE on 10 different sites. They can swing 3-400 calories between them

All you can do it pick one, use it, use it properly, for 6 or so weeks, see how your weightloss is going.
    If it is on par, stick with it.
    No loss, or minimal loss, try another 6 weeks with fewer calories 100-200 less.
    If you gain, recheck you aren't eating more than you think you are. Food scale.
  • meglo91
    meglo91 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Good advice about the trying, then buying. Thanks folks.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options

Different TDEE calculators will give different results because there are multiple formulas out there for TDEE.

MFP subtracts a set number from an estimated calorie burn without exercise. Either 250, 500, 750 or 1000.

TDEE calculators however take a percentage from an estimated TDEE. Usually 5-25% depending on which you pick.

Here's an example.
    For this example I am using my Fitbit Estimated average TDEE for the past 30 days.

MFP Method
    2488 - 250 = 2238
    2488 - 500 = 1988
    2488 - 750 = 1738
    2488 - 1000 = 1488

TDEE Method
    Estimated average TDEE of 2488
    2488 * 0.95 = 2363.6 (124.4 cal deficit/5%)
    2488 * 0.90 = 2239.2 (248.8 cal deficit/10%)
    2488 * 0.85 = 2114.8 (373.2 cal deficit/15%)
    2488 * 0.80 = 1990.4 (497.6 cal deficit/20%)
    2488 * 0.75 = 1866 (622 cal deficit/25%)

However, lets say my average TDEE was 2000

MFP Method
    2000 - 250 = 1750
    2000 - 500 = 1500
    2000 - 750 = 1250
    2000 - 1000 = 1000

TDEE Method
    2000 * 0.95 = 1900 (100 cal deficit/5%)
    2000 * 0.90 = 1800 (200 cal deficit/10%)
    2000 * 0.85 = 1700 (300 cal deficit/15%)
    2000 * 0.80 = 1600 (400 cal deficit/20%)
    2000 * 0.75 = 1500 (500 cal deficit/25%)

• annangelich
    annangelich Posts: 402 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I tried with both sites as well using the sedentary setting. Mine has a 2 calorie difference. The formula that MFP uses is the same as IIFYM. They both use the Mifflin-St-Jeor method to calculate your BMR, to calculate your TDEE or your TEE for sedentary you calculate multiply your BMR by 1.2 it should equal the same, but you have to factor in that they may be rounding up their decimals. I just used the formula with all of the decimals and MFP was the closer of the two, but when I do it by rounding up to the nearest whole number I am closer to IIFYM...
    Mifflin-St Jeor formula (for women) with is 10xweight in kg + 6.25x height in cm- 5 x age in years-161. To calculate your TEE you for sedentary you multiply BMR by 1.2
    You could easily calculate this yourself now that you know the formula and change your MFP goals to reflect the number you came up with.
  • terar21
    terar21 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    It's because TDEE does a percentage (20% or whatever you choose). MFP does exact pounds (.5, 1, or 2 pounds). So if you do no exercise on TDEE, it won't be equal to MFP because TDEE is doing a certain percentage for deficit and not hitting a specific number. Do which ever fits your goals and you think you can maintain. I use MFP (just because it's right here) because the .5 lbs goal makes sense for me.
  • annangelich
    annangelich Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    The Mifflin-St Jeor formula for men is 10xweight in Kg +6.25xheight in CM -5xage in years +5
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Options

They use different equations. This website alone has 3 different equations: http://iifym.com/tdee-calculator/ There are many out there. They are all just guesses. Go for the lower if you want. If you are losing weight too quickly go with the higher.

I got a BMR of 1281 and TDEE of 1874. Is 1874 the number of calories I'm supposed to eat to lose weight?
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I'm interested in this because I recalculated yesterday and the MFP and TDEE- 15% were the same. Which means I have been eating back what little calories I burn during cardio and wondering why I haven't lost weight. Very annoying.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options

There are a couple of difference...for one thing, TDEE includes some estimate of your exercise activity up front in the formula...MFP does not as you account for it after the fact...that's why you get calories to "eat back" with MFP.

Also, if you look at the actual deficit you will find that often TDEE - 20% is a slower rate of loss than many people choose with MFP.

If you're doing things correctly and comparing apples to apples loss rate goals, the two methods are pretty much 6 of 1, half dozen of the other...give or take.