First day....

Options
First day and hopefully first step to losing 70 lbs. The one thing I have learned from previous attempts is to take it slow, baby steps at first. One of my goals is to be able to complete a 5k by next spring.....for now I will start with walking for 30 minutes this first week. I am terrible at keeping myself motivated so I would appreciate any help or advice anybody is willing to give.

Thanks,
Chad

Replies

• Misterfish96
    Misterfish96 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I can be tough to stay motivated especially when you think you're making progress and something happens. Some days I get on the scale and SURPRISE! I gained a couple of pounds. It happens. Keep looking for long term results and measure progress different ways. I track weight, fat %, fit of my clothes, and most importantly how I feel. On any given day at least one of those things will be a positive.
  • Cyndal25
    Cyndal25 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the journey! I will tell you one thing that worked for me this time was that I set small goals and rewarded myself for them. Like, for example I told myself I could not cut or dye my hair until I lost 50 pounds. It was nice getting my hair cut after losing that 50 pounds, cause I felt like I earned it. Now at almost 100 pounds lost my goal for losing 100 pound will be buying something I've wanted a long time. It's hard to keep motivated but if you have something to work for, and you won't settle it's worth it. Good Luck!!
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Find something active that you enjoy. That is the best advice I can give you.
  • sju05pam
    sju05pam Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    My first day as well Chad. Hoping to lose 30 lbs and curb my carbohydrate cravings. I went to see a nutritionist and have some suggestions on meal choices. I love that I can track my food on this site. Good luck, one day at a time!
  • Chad1117
    Chad1117 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Definitely going to concentrate on the long term Mister, thinking quick fix has never worked for me before. I prefer the fit of clothes method coupled with construction worker whistles I get from my wife.

Good idea Cyndal, I will have to consider some possible rewards for goals I reach. Thanks for the advice and congrats on the weight loss.

That would be fishing, exploring nature and running Hornsby. I can't wait to lose some of this weight and get back to running. Thanks for the advice.

Thanks sju and good luck to you as well.
  • mirki002
    mirki002 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Congrats on getting started! Once you are ready to start training for your 5K, I would recommend the app C25K (Couch to 5K). It starts you off mostly walking with short spurts of running mixed in and builds up to running a 5k.
  • Chad1117
    Chad1117 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    It's already downloaded mirk, thanks for the advice.
  • elgar22
    elgar22 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Mirki beat me to it, I'm just starting couch to 5K too. i think that will be a great target to set.Have you got anyone who can do that with you. I begged a buddy to start with me as my biggest problem is a serious willpower deficiency!
  • shfoster0721
    shfoster0721 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me I have lost 116 pounds since January.
  • Menix8
    Menix8 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I understand the quickly-fading motivation. But the truth is motivation only lasts for so long. At that point, discipline and habit take over. Make your new routine sustainable, and your new walking/running routine habit, and you'll be finishing that 5k in no time. :) You're definitely on the right track with slow steps towards change. Welcome!
  • bfergusonii
    bfergusonii Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me. I have lost about 50 pounds, am here every day and log everything. It's a great site with a lots of awesome people to help you along the way.
  • crisb2
    crisb2 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    @Chad1117 Congrats on taking your first step!

On April 2013 I hit my max weight of 215lbs. I said, enough is enough! With tiny baby steps and no big sacrifices I've lost 33lbs so far (with a six month hiatus when I went through a very complicated pregnany).

But, overall consider my lifestyle a MUCH healthier one. I started with small choices, like counting calories on MFP. Then, quitting soda and diet soda. Then, I quit alcohol. Then, I started Intermittent Fasting because eating on a schedule 5-6 times a day was driving me crazy. Then, I realized that whenever I ate carbs and sugar my stomach would get upset. So, I started lowering my carb and sugar intake. Then, I started keto 2 months ago. And finally got the energy and desire to get off my bum and start moving, which is why I'm doing the #90milesin90days challenge and hope to start the C25K soon.

I feel SO much better, I don't worry about losing the weight fast, I just try to keep on moving in the right direction towards a healthier lifestyle. And I didn't do it overnight, one smart/healthy choice simply lead to the next one.

P.S. These are MY choices, I'm not suggesting anyone else follow these. Wanted to clarify before people whipped out some pitch forks and picket signs.
  • laurenz2501
    laurenz2501 Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    crisb2 wrote: »
    @Chad1117 Congrats on taking your first step!

On April 2013 I hit my max weight of 215lbs. I said, enough is enough! With tiny baby steps and no big sacrifices I've lost 33lbs so far (with a six month hiatus when I went through a very complicated pregnany).

But, overall consider my lifestyle a MUCH healthier one. I started with small choices, like counting calories on MFP. Then, quitting soda and diet soda. Then, I quit alcohol. Then, I started Intermittent Fasting because eating on a schedule 5-6 times a day was driving me crazy. Then, I realized that whenever I ate carbs and sugar my stomach would get upset. So, I started lowering my carb and sugar intake. Then, I started keto 2 months ago. And finally got the energy and desire to get off my bum and start moving, which is why I'm doing the #90milesin90days challenge and hope to start the C25K soon.

I feel SO much better, I don't worry about losing the weight fast, I just try to keep on moving in the right direction towards a healthier lifestyle. And I didn't do it overnight, one smart/healthy choice simply lead to the next one.

P.S. These are MY choices, I'm not suggesting anyone else follow these. Wanted to clarify before people whipped out some pitch forks and picket signs.

Wow. You sound a lot like me. Mind if I ask how tall you are? Thankfully I don't need to quit soda since I never drink it...but I definitely need to cut the alcohol down to maybe a glass of wine here and there. I also can't fathom eating 5-6 times a day. Usually twice a day. And my stomach also gets upset from sugar and maybe carbs too although I might not realize it as much. I always feel bloated after eating carbs/sugar and get really tired. Anyway your post really resonated with me! I'd like to try what you did. :smile:
  • Mischabellaa
    Mischabellaa Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP!!! I just did my first 5k about 3 weeks ago..came in dead last but i finished it :) So can you! Feel free to add me :)