Weight loss plateau

Options
After a great start, my weight loss has come to a crashing halt. Despite my increase in activity, (I even hiked 10 miles ton Saturday) I haven't lost any weight in the past 10 days. They call this a weight loss plateau; I call it frustrating as hell. Has anyone else experienced this? How long did it last?

Replies

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is not linear ...it comes in fits and starts...don't sweat it just keep weighing and logging and eating at a defecit you will lose weight

At the moment it could just be water weight from excess sodium, exercise or normal fluctuations

The weight will whoosh away if you keep going properly

(PS it's not a plateau until about 2 months)
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    A plateau is something like 6-8+ weeks with no change on the scale and no changes to your routine. If you've recently increased your activity level your body could be hanging onto some extra fluid to help cushion and repair your muscles. I know how frustrating the little stalls like this can be, but try not to worry about them unless they last more than a few weeks.
  • nosebag1212
    nosebag1212 Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    10 days is not a plateau, a plateau is 3 weeks or more, as said weight loss isn't linear and your body often retains temporary water to maintain your weight (homeostasis) which masks fat loss
  • epido
    epido Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    10 days is not a plateau. I have been about the same on the scale since June. Some would call that a plateau, and at one point maybe it was, but I know there are other contributing factors at this point - an injury that restricted my ability to work out for 6 weeks, getting frustrated and not logging like I should, etc. And, during the first part of that plateau, I was still loosing inches, so I am not sure it would really qualify as a plateau because of that.
  • akaguna
    akaguna Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    It is a journey! Enjoy it. You are in this for the long hall, not just to get to goal. :)
  • ticktanker
    ticktanker Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    hit one for just under 2 months (seemed like hell), kept going & started on MFP, then weight all of a sudden continued going down, all i can say is that during that time all sorts of things were popping into my head e.g. is that it!!!!- my full potential, can i not lose anymore etc etc. then also researched plateaus and found this pic for a bit of inspiration to continue, thankfully i did and also found MFP from a friend - to see evidence that it was actually possible from stories, pics etc
  • RaspberryTickleChicken
    Options
    A plateau is something like 6-8+ weeks with no change on the scale and no changes to your routine. If you've recently increased your activity level your body could be hanging onto some extra fluid to help cushion and repair your muscles. I know how frustrating the little stalls like this can be, but try not to worry about them unless they last more than a few weeks.

+1

When I hit a plateau it was for 2.5 MONTHS - just keep doing what you are doing & try not to be so impatient. Most of us took years to groom the careless eating habit & lack of physical activity. So it really shouldn't be a surprise that it will take a minimum amount of time to undo our deeds of olde.

Good luck!