Food not on list

Options
sandymoua
sandymoua Posts: 1 Member
edited October 2014 in Food and Nutrition
Hello all. what do you guys do if you eat something that is not on the list and has no nutrition information?

Replies

• oldantired
    oldantired Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Google it and enter the information manually into the MFP database.
  • independant2406
    independant2406 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    I'm assuming you mean a meal at a restaurant? Usually I try to estimate by a close approximate found in the database or by Googling. When there are several versions on the database I pick the one with the highest calorie count.

For example my husband had a grilled cheese sandwich at his work's cafeteria and wasn't sure how to log it. He found several grilled cheese sandwich entries. I advised him to pick the one with the highest calorie count (since we have no way of knowing, better to err on the side of overestimating) The highest in calorie grilled cheese sandwich in the database was from sonic (he verified with nutrition facts from their website) and logged it.
  • derekj222
    derekj222 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    be more specific
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    depends on what it is - restaurant: either try to enter items seperately or pick the closest thing; something in a package w/nutritional info: make a new item; something in a package without nutrition info; google for nutrition info and make my own entry or if I still can't find it I choose the closest thing; fresh fruit/veggies: use the plural form or add usda; something that should be there that isn't: check my spelling