Deadlift technique

Options
So I have been working out a long time and recently started lifting heavy. One exercise I added is the "deadlift". My problem is, I have watched videos where the grip they use to hold the bar is different. I have seen it where the person holds the bar with their knuckles facing outwards (like an upside down fist) & others hold it in the same way you would if doing a bicep curl (knuckles inwards). What is the correct way to hold the bar?

Replies

• fxdl2k2
    fxdl2k2 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    My trainer says knuckles facing out.
  • Live_To_Win
    Live_To_Win Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Either way will work. Palms inward are a good way to start and if you have any grip issues you can turn on hand outward
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    QueenBishOTUniverse Posts: 14,121 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    What may be confusing you is a switch grip. As things get heavier it's recommended to do one hand out and one in. Generally though, start with knuckles out and only move to switch grip when your grip starts to fail.

Errr uh, mixed grip, yea.... that one.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Most people will do knuckles facing away from you as much as they can. When weight gets high enough that grip strength becomes an issue, they switch to mixed grip - one hand under, one hand over.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Either double-overhand (knuckles out) or mixed grip (one set out, one under); mixed grip prevents the bar rolling or slipping and usually allows for a stronger deadlift.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    Personal preference, but here's a brief overview of the + and - of each style.

http://breakingmuscle.com/strength-conditioning/get-a-grip-3-ways-to-grip-a-deadlift-and-how-to-get-your-grip-stronger
  • _crafty_
    _crafty_ Posts: 1,682 Member
    Options
    ironanimal wrote: »
    Either double-overhand (knuckles out) or mixed grip (one set out, one under); mixed grip prevents the bar rolling or slipping and usually allows for a stronger deadlift.

^ this exactly
  • thebillmo
    thebillmo Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Conventional wisdom is to use a "double-overhand" grip (both hands knuckles out). However if the weight is too heavy for your hands to hold that way, switch to an "alternate" grip where one hand is overhand, the other hand is underhand. Typically your dominant hand will be the overhand one but that's personal preference.
  • derekj222
    derekj222 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    jacksonpt wrote: »
    Most people will do knuckles facing away from you as much as they can. When weight gets high enough that grip strength becomes an issue, they switch to mixed grip - one hand under, one hand over.

Yup. I do knuckles out right now, but a lot of heavier lifters do one in, one out. It's all about personal preference I guess. Biggest thing with deadlifting is making sure you keep the back as straight as possible and try not to bend it or you can really mess it up. Start lighter until for get the form right.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    I use mixed
  • quellybelly
    quellybelly Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    I started with knuckles out but switched to one hand knuckles out and one hand knuckles in for a firmer grip
  • homeyjosey
    homeyjosey Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I prefer the hook grip
  • fivethreeone
    fivethreeone Posts: 8,196 Member
    Options
    homeyjosey wrote: »
    I prefer the hook grip

OWCH!

Lies. Nobody likes a hook grip.

:laugh:
  • KristaPerseveres
    KristaPerseveres Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    My trainer has me use a neutral grip, one hand knuckles out, one knuckles in. I get a better grip that way. Guess it's personal preference :-)
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options
    The correct way to hold it is the way that works best for you. One benefit of using a double-overhand grip is that your progress is definitely restricted by your grip strength, which isn't a horrible thing. The benefit being that it will actually reduce lower back strain and is something recommended for those that like to DL and have lower back injuries. For longevity purposes this is not a bad idea. A mixed grip will help you pull the most weight and if you're competing or you just have goals of building a big DL, then you'll want a mixed grip.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options

In addition to those 3, i'll add the both-palms-facing-out grip (double supinated). I do this once a week, since it's a common grip when lifting heavy things outside the gym.
    Not the best grip for maximal loads though, due to potential injury of the biceps tendon.
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Options
    Cherimoose wrote: »

In addition to those 3, i'll add the both-palms-facing-out grip (double supinated). I do this once a week, since it's a common grip when lifting heavy things outside the gym.
    Not the best grip for maximal loads though, due to potential injury of the biceps tendon.

You're brave, the injury potential would scare the crap out of me. But at the same time many things we might lift from the floor do get lifted that way because of grip limitations. I was actually thinking about this the other day when I saw Smart car and thought about flipping it on its side.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    Sam_I_Am77 wrote: »

You're brave, the injury potential would scare the crap out of me. But at the same time many things we might lift from the floor do get lifted that way because of grip limitations. I was actually thinking about this the other day when I saw Smart car and thought about flipping it on its side.

Those things are so tempting to flip. I secretly want to get into a road rage situation with one, so i have an excuse to flip the thing. Every gym should have a Smart Car. :p
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Options
    Sam_I_Am77 wrote: »

Those things are so tempting to flip. I secretly want to get into a road rage situation with one, so i have an excuse to flip the thing. Every gym should have a Smart Car. :p

Since we don't have cattle in the area, I'm thinking Smart-Car-Flipping is a good replacement. Sorry those things are ridiculous. Golf courses should at least allow owners to drive them on the course because they're not much more than a golf cart. LOL