Really tired all the time - any ideas as to why?

Options
Hi all,

Just wanted to put a post out there to see if anyone else is really lethargic all the time? I can make myself go to the gym but half way through my class or workout I'm doing low impact and I'm just exhausted. It tends to hit me around 3.30 and I just want to curl up and go to sleep. I have even changed my work hours so that I can leave early to go home.

(Sorry guys)

Girls - I've had issues with the various birth control I've been on - ended up putting on close to 20 kg in 6 months due to hormonal fluctuations and insane cravings. I have just been put on a new form called nuvaring and I'm just so sick of not feeling well.

Anyone have any ideas? All my vitamin levels came back normal when I was tested about a month and a bit ago. In the past I have had insulin resistance, vit b 12 deficiency, aneamia and high cortosol levels.

Thanks for reading and hope you are having an excellent day :)

Replies

• SueGeer
    SueGeer Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    Have you had your thyroid checked? If it's uneractive it can lead to weight gain, lethargy, etc.....

Sue :smile: x
  • mrphil86
    mrphil86 Posts: 2,382 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a diet issue to me. You may fall into your calorie zone but are you within your macros? (Carbs, protein, and fats.) I see a majority of people get tired because they don't have enough energy in their system to begin with.

I would try upping your carbs about 1-2 hours before you workout. See if that helps.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Hmmm, are you eating enough? Making a dramatic change in your diet might mean that you aren't getting enough nutrition which can leave you lethargic. Especially if you are exercising a lot, your body might need more fuel to keep going.

I know you mentioned birth control... but could you be pregnant? That can make you very sleepy early on.

Is it time to get tested for B12 again? I was deficient in the past and was really worn out.

Good luck, I hope you get to the bottom of it.
  • xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    Options
    could be really anything.

if you eat things high in sugar or high GI you could be spiking and crashing.
    could be your thyroid, could be your heart, could be hormones..could be anything.
  • jessebreanne
    Options
    I wish I had an answer for you :( I just wanted to let you know that I have the same thing and all my blood levels and tests are fine too. Everytime I diet and exercise I am lethargic and exhausted even with added iron supplements. Before I had my kids I lost 60lb and had to sleep 12-14 hours a day which only left enough time in the day to work and work out :( I hope you feel better soon!
  • charmsangel13
    charmsangel13 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Thyroid is normal - it gets checked each time I rock up to the doctors demanding they help me.

I think it is diet related, am on a waiting list to see a dietician as my old one was terrible. I will eat more carbs before working out though. I tend to just have a protein shake if I am heading to the gym in the morning.

Not pregnant, but I will make an appointment to see my doctor and get tested for b 12 - I have been craving milk and eggs which has in the past indicated b 12 being low.

Thanks for all the feedback - I am hoping that it is my body adjusting to the new me. :)
  • mrphil86
    mrphil86 Posts: 2,382 Member
    Options
    I think it is diet related, am on a waiting list to see a dietician as my old one was terrible. I will eat more carbs before working out though. I tend to just have a protein shake if I am heading to the gym in the morning.

Yeah, this is where most people fall short. Protein itself will not do anything for you except be burnt up while working out. That's assuming it's being ingested fast enough. Your body could have been pulling energy from your muscles and started to shutdown because it wanted to conserve itself. The body has odd ways of protecting itself.

In my opinion, protein before a workout is useless and protein after a workout is useful. But I always pair that up with carbs. I always eat carbs before and carbs after. Never failed me. But then again, that's my opinion.
  • charmsangel13
    charmsangel13 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Ok - I will get on that. Thanks for your help :)
  • hotsailormom03
    Options
    how much water are you drinking? you can get tired if your dehydrated to:)
    7025151.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
  • BrownSkinBeauty1990
    BrownSkinBeauty1990 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Could it be your iron levels?

I had really low iron level after I gave birth & I was extremly tired. Could of slept all day!
  • TCrawford70
    TCrawford70 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    After having my daughter my thyroid went out of control and starting around 1:00 or so I would litterally feellike someone drugged me. I could not keep my eyes open. Now if it starts to go off that is the first sign and weight gain.Get it checked you will feel like a new woman.:wink:
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    If you opened up your diary, we could offer better suggestions.
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    I was like that when I was severely undereating. My daily menu was something like no breakfast, fiber one bar for snack, lean cuisine for lunch, pretzels for snack, crackers and two slices of cheese for dinner. It worked out to about 600-700 calories for the day. I ate like this probably 80% of the time. I was exhausted and literally desperate to nap in the mid-afternoon. For about a year, I had to have a nap when I got home from work as I was too tired to function. Then I'd stay up too late and.....what a vicious cycle!

Now, I never nap after work and since I began eating a minimum of 1200 calories (my average is 1450), I no longer feel that overwhelming exhaustion a couple hours after lunch. It's great! Also, I go to bed promptly on time and never take naps when I get home.

Something to consider...
  • nirsky
    nirsky Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Also Per LL cool J book up to 30 min and ONLY up to 30 min after your workout you can eat bad carbs, and sugar.
    I helps the muscle to grow.
    I do not do it....just do not want to eat back my work out calories.

You can try a Cliff bar or Protein bar that have carb
  • fat_beyonce
    fat_beyonce Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I've found that I react really badly to pretty much all female hormone tablets it could be that.
  • believetoachieve
    believetoachieve Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    I read somewhere once that it's not that the population in general is becoming more lethargic - but we're jam packing our schedules and leading far more hectic lives, leaving us with little energy to spare. I know this doesn't help solve your problems, but it's something to ponder!

I've been on nuvaring and had great results. I loved it :smile:
  • MissingMinnesota
    MissingMinnesota Posts: 7,486 Member
    Options
    I suggest getting your blood work done. I am always tired because I have an iron deficiency anemia. So they have me taking pre-natal vitiamin which I am horrible at remembering to take but if I don't I am falling asleep by 2pm.