Veggie me!

Options
I used to hate veggies but ever since moving to the Netherlands and going through the fresh outdoor markets its like the church choir is finally singing to me..

MM the paprikas and onions , spinach and celery .. every veggie!
BUT im boreing, i think the extent of my veggie use is

Salads
Salads
anddddd salads.
oh and on occasion a veggie soup

What are other FILLING or even snack things low on calories I can use with veggies
YELP

Replies

• vegan4lyfe2012
    vegan4lyfe2012 Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    Here's a couple of my favorite meals to give you some ideas:

RATATOUILLE HOAGIE

Dice & saute up in a little olive oil:

1 eggplant
    1 zucchini
    1 green pepper
    1 onion
    1 clove garlic, minced

Once everything is getting fairly cooked, add in a can of diced tomatoes with juice and a couple tablespoons of tomato paste. Season with salt & pepper, basil and parsley. I like to toast hoagie buns, load them with this, add (vegan) mozzarella and put under the broiler for just a minute - until the cheese is melted.

QUINOA VEGGIE PLATE

Ingredients
    1/2 cup uncooked quinoa, rinsed
    1 cup water
    1 tsp vegan chix bouillion (optional)
    1 cup frozen green beans
    1 cup frozen cut carrots
    1 cup frozen peppers and onions

*Sauce:
    1/3 cup tomato sauce
    1/3 cup diced tomato with juice
    1 tsp Italian Seasoning
    1 tsp dried minced onion
    Dash of garlic powder
    Salt and Pepper to taste

1 tsp Nutritional Yeast
    Sprinkling of Adobo Seasoning

Directions
    Bring 1 cup water to a boil. Add vegan chix flavored bullion, if desired. After boiling, stir in rinsed quinoa, lower heat to medium low, cover and cook 15 to 20 minutes, until quinoa is semi-translucent.

While quinoa is cooking, steam green beans, carrots, peppers and onions for 8 minutes.

For sauce, combine tomato sauce, tomatoes, Italian seasoning, dried minced onion, garlic powder, salt and pepper and heat on stove for 5 to 10 minutes.*

To plate, divide quinoa onto two plates, top each with half of the veggies and sprinkle on Adobo seasoning. Divide the tomato sauce and pour over each plate and top each one with 1/2 tsp of nutritional yeast.

*To speed this up, you can substitute your favorite pasta sauce for the sauce recipe.
  • Romyarts2014
    Romyarts2014 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    omg yum so trying this .. thanks!
  • zeal26
    zeal26 Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    Chili is my favourite! The last one I made had ground pork, kidney beans, chopped tomatoes with chili, different coloured bell peppers, onion, carrots, courgette, sweetcorn, tomato puree and then spices.

Spaghetti bolognese is another one that I throw all the veggies in to. I made a Shepherd's Pie tonight and it had peas, carrots, onions, mushrooms and courgette. And curries of course!

Love veg :)
  • Romyarts2014
    Romyarts2014 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    mmmmmmm ! Shepards pie? google time..
    Chili sounds awesome to
    I really just need to learn to cook more
  • queenmedusa
    queenmedusa Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Check out Happy Herbivore - loads of delicious veggie recipes. Cheap and easy to make, and delicious!
  • shattrdillusion
    Options
    some are great roasted with a little olive oil, salt and pepper as a side dish! or julienned and substituted for noodles!
  • shattrdillusion
    Options
    oh and stuffed with whatever type of meat/rice/other filling you like and baked in the oven
  • mygnsac
    mygnsac Posts: 13,413 Member
    Options
    One of my favorite quick veggie recipes:

Courgettes et Tomates (zucchini & tomatoes)
    • 5 ounces freshly grated zucchini (approx 1 cup)...one of those mini zucchinis is usually just about right
    • 5 ounces fresh tomato, chopped (1 med tomato)
    • 1/4 cup quinoa flakes
    • 1 tablespoon freshly chopped thyme
    • 2 tablespoons shredded parmesan cheese
    • 1 tablespoon water
    • pinch crushed red pepper
    • pinch salt

In a microwave safe dish, combine all but the cheese. Sprinkle cheese on top. Microwave on high for 3-4 minutes until heated through and bubbly. If you don't use a microwave, bake in a preheated 400 degree oven for about 20 minutes. Makes 1 serving. Grated carrot is good in this too.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    My primary ways of eating vegetables are (1) in my morning omelet, and (2) roasted as a side dish or three with dinner. I don't only roast them--I saute a lot too--but almost everything tastes great roasted.
  • healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    I love to finely chop:
    Red peppers
    Onion
    Carrot
    Tomato
    Garlic

I place in a bowl with corn, peas and sliced pitted calamata olives.
    I add 2 tbl. olive oil (depending on the amount of veggies)
    Juice of 1 lime
    Salt/pepper
    1/2 tsp. Sriacha sauce if you enjoy some heat.

Mix and place in fridge for 1/2 hour.

It's a kind of Medditeranean type salsa that you can pile on top of fish, chicken or pork and bake. It comes out very tasty!