Body looking less firm after 12 lb weight loss?

Options
I jumped back into tracking food about two months ago. I am an avid exerciser (bike, hike, weights, Pilates) but food is my problem.

I'm down about 12 pounds of my 50 pound goal, but my body -- specifically my hips and thighs -- look awful. Despite being well over 200 pounds, my body was always relatively firm. Now that I have started to drop weight my body looks less firm, is more dimply and lumpy. I don't know if this is a result of me getting older or if I should investigate something in my diet. Has anyone else noticed this, specifically, women? What did you think the cause was?

Replies

• yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    Give your body time to catch up with your own changes :)
  • kpinkney83
    kpinkney83 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    It's going to look like this at first. But as you drop the pounds from what I assume to be more cardio and diet changes, incorporate strength training into your workout. When you do this, you will begin to tighten the loose skin from weight lost. This will take time though. Try to incorporate exercises using body weight.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    At first you will get squishy because the fat ceels are shrinking under the skin. Just let your body do his thing.
  • RoseyDgirl
    RoseyDgirl Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    I don't know if it's true or not - but, the process for weightloss for me makes me feel like I progressively become more 'jiggly' right between each plateau. My weight loss has been slow, and I'd lose a few pounds, then plateau, and as I kept working out, I'd notice my fat areas would be more jiggly, and then I'd come off the plateau and lose again another few pounds.
    -
    - For this reason, I don't look at the jiggly as a bad thing - because I think of it as a sign the loss is starting again soon...
    -
    (me and all my plateaus)...
  • quellybelly
    quellybelly Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    I don't have quite as impressive weight loss as you do, but I have found lifting to have definitely helped me with firming/tightening my body. Your weight loss may have come from loss of both body fat and some muscle, and muscle is what makes you more firm and less lumpy. I'd definitely recommend starting a strength program to maintain/build muscle and continue losing fat -- I'm sure you'll notice positive changes in your body!
  • hortensehildegarde
    hortensehildegarde Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    I don't know exactly other than I am sure it's not caused by certain foods/cannot be fixed by certain foods.

You get more mushy as you lose. Presumably from the fat disappearing from under one's skin.
  • 0305tash
    0305tash Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thank all for the responses! I am definitely lifting weights and doing non-cardio exercise as I stated. As far as nutrition, I was thinking that maybe some of the food was causing water retention or bloat.

I'll wait it out and maybe it'll subside. Def hard to keep motivated when I see that though!