Getting judged after the loss

Options

Replies

• blc1971
    blc1971 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Oh boy have I heard it and yes, I'm tired of it!!! I went from 213 lbs (5'6") in Sept. 2012, to now 137 lbs. It took over 2 years to come this far and, although I'm happy at this weight and trying to find my maintenance point, I am almost tempted to drop a little lower...just because I darn well can! It's frustrating to work so hard to get to a healthy weight and to feel awesome, only to have people tell me I'm "too skinny" or "need to gain back a few lbs". Seriously? I'm 43 years old. I think I know what is good for me. In fact, your post is timely because I just heard from 3 different people in the last 24 hrs that I don't need to lose "another pound". I never heard so much commentary when I was fat, so where were all of these opinions then? Why is it okay to say such things to someone who is thin that you would never say to someone overweight?

Another issue I have is my own reaction when people say these things. Instead of saying thank you and moving on, I feel the need to justify myself...almost as if I'm on the defensive. I find myself explaining I am trying to hit maintenance and my goals are more for toning, strength, and heart health. Of course, then I'm babbling. I hate when I do that!! I'm really trying to quit defending/explaining myself. It's nobody's business.
  • Alidecker
    Alidecker Posts: 1,262 Member
    Options
    I got the "don't get too skinny" comment a lot when I was losing. That hasn't happened. I gained some back and I wish I could get those comments again. I was never that skinning and never hit the goal weight the doctor gave me. I think people were just trying to get used to the new me - 135#s lighter. The other crazy one I get is "you work out too much" or "you are addicted to working out". I love how I feel when I work out, I have rest days and some days, my time in the gym is not intense, but more active rest. Even if I am addicted to working out, there are much worse things to be addicted too.
  • kmorgan221
    kmorgan221 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Someone says to me "don't get too skinny" I'll sometimes respond with, "Don't get too fat!"

I'm not really sure why one is viewed as more offensive than the other. <shrug>

Seriously, though, we (collectively) are so used to seeing the morbidly obese we have a skewed sense of what "healthy weight" looks like. We think simply overweight, or even obese, is healthy.

We need to challenge that thought process.
  • stephanieluvspb
    stephanieluvspb Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    it seems some people are their happiest when they can find fault in others. If it's not one thing it's another. Sometimes I reply with a smart *kitten* comment, sometimes I smile and move on. A big congrats on your weight loss and all your hard work!!! Truly inspirational! :)
  • tibby531
    tibby531 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I've heard a lot of "you haven't gone anorexic on us, have you?" jokes. my coworkers stand by, at the ready, to offer me the name of a good doctor to help, when I'm ready to admit that I have a problem. ...but, oddly enough, if I split a donut with someone, I'm suddenly "finally off that diet, huh?"

there is no winning. but it's alright, now. I've learned my lesson well. See, you can't please everyone, so you got to please yourself.
  • Lennox497
    Lennox497 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Great job on the weight loss. That is terrific accomplishment. In my opinion it should be about how you feel. If you feel great that wear that as a badge.

If you really want to turn your critics on their head, at weight training to your lifestyle. It's a great boost of energy and as your muscles develop the critique will subside and they will only be with congratulations and envy.

Don't worry about your waist size being a 32, if your critics think a 32 is too small then they are still too big or they really don't know what they are talking about.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    Ignore what other people say. You should be so proud of your huge accomplishment!

Congrats!
  • silentKayak
    silentKayak Posts: 658 Member
    Options
    They're annoyed that they can no longer dismiss you as "that fat guy" and that they have to realize all the assumptions they made about you (lazy, stupid, no self-respect, etc etc) were wrong all these years.

Congratulations on your loss. You look great, and it sounds like you're really enjoying life now.
  • raysmyth
    raysmyth Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    A while back, I lost a significant amount of weight over the summer, between semesters for college. 40 lbs in three or four months I think. When I got back to campus, my best friend told me I looked sick, too skinny, and that I was more attractive as a bigger person. Our other friend told her to stop saying those things to me because I was happy and I was obviously moving in a healthy direction. My friend's reaction to me really really bothered me, because I trusted her a lot. But I also had to acknowledge the fact that her opinion is her own, and my is mine.
  • AmigaMaria001
    AmigaMaria001 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your weight loss and new healthy lifestyle... NEVER feel badly about being healthy no matter what naysayers think.
    A family member of mine was always giving me the, "You must be sick, you've lost so much weight and you don't look good anymore! If you are doing this on purpose then you need to stop." I finally got the nerve to tell her, "I have worked hard to look this good and if I wanted your advice about weight I would have asked for it;instead I've consulted a professional... MY DOCTOR! He is extremely pleased with my weight loss. You should give it a try, since you really could stand to lose about 100lbs!" LOL (She only needs to lose about 50 but it felt good to give her a dig for a change!) She has never said another word about my weight, nor has anyone else in the family who was being critical so she must have passed the word along.
  • 2thesexydress
    2thesexydress Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    You don't look too skinny to me, just smile at them and say thank you for noticing how fabulous i look its so much appreciated, smile and walk away from their shocked faces!!
  • hmrambling
    hmrambling Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I haven't reached my goal weight yet, and I already have friends who are encouraging me to stop where I am and not lose anymore weight. Some of those same people have tried to discourage heavy lifting because I will "get bulky". lol, that is NOT going to happen without attempting to do so, and even then it is hard work.

At the end of the day, I have to be happy with me. I want a strong, healthy me. I will keep working toward my goal. I also keep in mind that those folks who are giving out advice are not necessarily giving out healthy advice. I will keep doing what I am doing.
  • allie_00p
    allie_00p Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Don't hesitate to tell people that it's rude to make negative comments on the way you look.

Because it is.

Many years ago, in my workplace, I fixed the situation in the lunch room, at noon. I was sick and tired of being calld too skinny or too small, although I was not at all (I was around 110 - 112 pounds for a 5'3, would NEVER skip a meal, and with "perfect" results at annual medical check up).

(Beside, even if someone was too skinny - how is this his colleagues' business?)

Anyhow, at lunch time, I told a colleague (who used to comment on my weight and body shape) something like "Wow, in these pants, we really see how your *kitten* is much bigger than it was a year ago". Then - in the silence that ensued - I said calmly: "Now, all of you know how I feel when I am told I am too skinny or does not have the body shape that suit your personal taste. There is no such thing as a "well-intentioned insult". Trust me, I have a harsh comment in bank for any one here who will be tempted to criticize my body shape or weight. If it's not your weight, that'll be your nose, teeth, legs, wrinkles, flabby chin, whatever."

That was the end of it. No one mentioned this incident ever after, but no one ever made mean remarks on my weight anymore.

Wow, ballsy. Go you.
  • bradsbaby1996
    bradsbaby1996 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I get that a LOT!!! Like someone else said, where were all the comments when I was ballooning to 264 pounds?? Now that I am a healthy and fit 149 all I hear is you need to eat (I do), you are too skinny, you don't need to lose anymore weight, the worst, you are gonna blow away!! Really? 149 pounds and I'm gonna blow away??

The kicker comes from my best friend though.. I am 5'8, she is 4'11 and has just started losing after gaining up to the 180's.. her favorite thing to tell me is "I don't want to he as skinny as you".. I wear a size 4 but I still have a small stomach pooch. . How does she know how it feels to be as "skinny as me".. there is not even a comparison because of such a difference in height.. ughhhh just makes me ill...

so, yep, I feel ya!!!

• BBryans07
    BBryans07 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I have also experienced this. Two years ago I lost 40 lbs going from a size 12 to a size 6. My doctor commended my new healthier lifestyle which consisted of eating nutritionally and working out 4 nights a week. One thing I ran into A LOT was family and friends complaining when I wouldn't eat another helping for dinner or not eating a slice of cake at a birthday party. Don't get me wrong, I had plenty of cheats, but I was proud that I could say "No" to something I knew wasn't healthy for me. Eventually, my family and friends stopped the comments and I'm glad I didn't listen to them. If you lost weight healthily and your doctor gives the go ahead, you have nothing to be ashamed of. Keep up the awesome work and the comments will begin to wane. Hey, it might also rub off on some of those people :smile:
  • flatlndr
    flatlndr Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    Don't let the negative comments stop you!

I get similar comments ... "you're wasting away", "there's nothing left of you", and the occasional "are you, um, ok?" ... having dropped 105+ lbs in under 9 months. I point out that I'm back down to my "wedding weight", and I still have 10 more pounds to get down to "university weight". That seems to settle everyone down.
  • justcat206
    justcat206 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    Congrats that's awesome! I lost 20 lbs a couple years ago (back to my 'original' weight) and had a friend who was constantly telling me I needed to eat more and that he was going to have to feed me. Which is odd because he also recently lost a bunch of weight. My MIL got super worried when my husband lost a few pounds and kept harping at him to get checked out - but in her defence, his father DID die of cancer and their first sign of his illness was rapid weight loss, so it's always on her mind.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    This is just my opinion based on limited personal experience and that of a very small number of clients who have experienced the same thing.

My belief is that people form an image of you in their head and they get used to this image. Then you go and drop some weight (or 122 lbs in your case, which is spectacular) and you look significantly different than the image they have of you in their head.

Additionally, I believe that most of the time, people actually mean it as a compliment when they say that you're too thin. That probably sounds crazy, but with the negative stigma that fat has, and how hard it is to lose fat, I think your friends/family probably don't mean to be hurtful when they say "you've lost too much weight!".

Of course I could be wrong on all of the above. This is just my current belief.

I DO think you are not alone in this sort of social exchange. I recall thinking this about a friend of mine who had lost about 80lbs (this was 20 years ago, prior to me knowing or caring at all about fitness). I also have had clients deal with this exact same issue.
  • Minnygirl1
    Minnygirl1 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    So......somewhere between too big and too thin you were perfect and no one told you??? Haha. At least that is a good comeback....

I just lost 32 pounds and was just recently told I look like a bobble head!!! Kinda funny!!
  • 50sFit
    50sFit Posts: 712 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    So, I am down 122 pounds, and I could not be happier. I feel great, and I am really enjoying the new, thinner me. I run now, and am staying super active. However, now I am getting the people saying I'm too thin. I have stopped losing (I'm still a size 32 pants - which is what I wanted), and my Doctor is happy for me. However, I have people asking me if something is wrong with me because I lost so much weight. Does anybody else get this? How did you handle it?
    Just give those who question a big hug and a cheek kiss as you thank them for their concern.
    And say "I have EBOLA!"
    >:)