Thoughts on vitamins? Pros? Cons?

Options
So I've always tried to take my vitamins, just a regular multi with a vitamin C kicker if I felt like I was getting sick. I remember my MD told me a couple years ago that you really don't need one if you're eating a good diet. You should try to get your vitamins from your food. While that's true, I'm not perfect at eating well rounded meals every time, most times sure, but I think I'm probably lacking in some areas. Anyways I'm back to taking my vitamins and truth be told I feel better. More energy and all that good stuff.

The reason for my question is I recently bought this book that talks about a vegetarian and vegan diet/ lifestyle and why it's healthier. It said something about vitamins and about how they do more harm that good, I didn't get deep into the why but it was referencing some studies. I need to keep reading but I'm sure this book is one sided and wondered what others thought about this.

Replies

• Old_Man_McGucket
    Old_Man_McGucket Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    Dr. Rhonda Patrick is my go to source for information on vitamins.

https://www.youtube.com/user/FoundMyFitness
  • Ladybug1250
    Ladybug1250 Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Thank you!
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    I remember reading some studies out there correlating high levels of specific antioxidants to poorer outcomes for certain diseases, particularly cancers and infections. Seems completely irrational until you consider that free radicals are used by the immune system to kill unwanted cells.

Anyway, since the link is simply a correlation, it means more directed studies need to be done.

I would definitely not take mega-doses of any vitamin without having a deficiency or having them prescribed for a specific reason. There's been no evidence that they benefit the general public anyway. I'd stick to vitamins that provide < 100% of the RDA. Let the rest of it be made up by food. Remember, you don't have to meet the RDA for every vitamin every day. Otherwise, most of us would have ill effects by now ;)
  • Ladybug1250
    Ladybug1250 Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info. I'm currently taking Ultra Women from vitamin world and I noticed some of the % daily values were in the thousands for example Riboflavin 50 mg = 2,941% that's seems like overkill lol the dose is 2 pills per day but I started just taking one. Truth be told that I feel better since taking these but I don't want to overdose, its a little confusing to me :-/
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options
    Think of a good multi-vitamin as an insurance policy for what your diet might be lacking in. If you're eating well then you are likely getting most of what you need, but a multi will just make sure of it. I think the bigger issue is when people are taking mega-doses of vitamin B and other things. I love the comment that vit B supplements give energy. Vitamin B does not contain energy therefore it cannot give energy; it merely supports the process. But even then the required dosage is only like 2.4mcg's I believe.
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Don't waste your money on multivitamins. Almost all studies done on them find them to be useless. And they're probably worse than useless for anyone who eats a remotely healthy diet.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    People should really try to get their vitamins and minerals by eating as balanced diet as possible. Having said that, there is a place for supplementation on a reduced calorie diet or if your body either needs more or doesn't utilize what you get in foods well enough. Most people don't need to take all kinds of vitamins/minerals but some do need occasional help.

Personal example: I have always been borderline anemic and several factors have made it worse in the last couple of years so I need high potency iron to keep my hemoglobin around 13. Without it, I got as low as 5.3.
  • raysputin
    raysputin Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Why would you take any nutrient risk when "eating small"? You may be nutrient deficient or not - how can you tell until your health fails? Unless you have an proper dietician work out your diet you can't tell if you are getting all you need or not. Nutrient supplements from established manufacturers are safe. Take the multi's - if you don't need them, you lose only money. Money is for spending; health is for keeps.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    If you go meatless, you'll need a B-12 supplement. Ask your doctor about it and he will tell you how much to take. If you go the route of the melt-in-your-mouth B-12, try the Natrol ones. They melt really fast and taste really good. Some B-12 tastes like...excrement.

Otherwise, you can get all your vitamins and minerals from a vegetarian diet. And they can be healthier than meat eaters' diets.

If your doctor recommends supplements, take them. But if you don't need them, there is no reason to take them. If you get Vitamin C from your diet, extra won't help you. Your body will not put it to good use and prevent a cold or give you more energy. The body doesn't store C. If you give it extra, it says, "I don't need this. Can't use it, gotta get rid of it," and you pee it out. So, you are literally pissing your money away.

Vitamins and minerals are very important! If you're low, there can be serious repercussions. They are necessary when you're low. But if you aren't low, just don't waste your money.
  • xmichaelyx
    xmichaelyx Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    I have a good diet, so the only thing worth taking for me is vitamin D. Like most people in Vegas (ironically) I'm rarely in the sun, so I supplement.

I also get blood tests twice a year through my insurance, and those can be helpful in spotting deficiencies.
  • RISEOFPATRIOTS
    RISEOFPATRIOTS Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    It actually isn't hard to get your vitamins if you know the foods you need and don't any allergies.

Look at site like there for help:
    http://nutritiondata.self.com/
    http://whfoods.org/nutrientstoc.php
    https://www.consumerlab.com/rdas/ <<<<to know your limits and needs

• RISEOFPATRIOTS
    Options
    xmichaelyx wrote: »
    I have a good diet, so the only thing worth taking for me is vitamin D. Like most people in Vegas (ironically) I'm rarely in the sun, so I supplement.

I also get blood tests twice a year through my insurance, and those can be helpful in spotting deficiencies.
    Salmon and mushrooms help with vitamin D but salmon is the best. However the best salmon is wild salmon.

• RISEOFPATRIOTS
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    If you go meatless, you'll need a B-12 supplement. Ask your doctor about it and he will tell you how much to take. If you go the route of the melt-in-your-mouth B-12, try the Natrol ones. They melt really fast and taste really good. Some B-12 tastes like...excrement.

Otherwise, you can get all your vitamins and minerals from a vegetarian diet. And they can be healthier than meat eaters' diets.

If your doctor recommends supplements, take them. But if you don't need them, there is no reason to take them. If you get Vitamin C from your diet, extra won't help you. Your body will not put it to good use and prevent a cold or give you more energy. The body doesn't store C. If you give it extra, it says, "I don't need this. Can't use it, gotta get rid of it," and you pee it out. So, you are literally pissing your money away.

Vitamins and minerals are very important! If you're low, there can be serious repercussions. They are necessary when you're low. But if you aren't low, just don't waste your money.
    Vegetarians and vegans are also missing out on cholesterol also which your body needs and sure it produces its own but only a certain amount. Then again the whole produces it own arguments can be argued with vitamins then that would make it sound there isn't any point of consuming that has this whatever. Also supplements are for the weak (who don't want to diet right) and they have more limits to getting certain nutrition compared to getting it from food like magnesium for example.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    Options
    Unless you have an actual deficiency or feel your diet is deficient because of a lack of certain foods (ie. vegan, paleo, lactose intolerant, etc.), the vast majority of vitamins are a ripoff. They do absolutely nothing for you. Exceptions may include things like omega 3 or fish oil, and Vitamin D and calcium. The majority of the ingredients in a multivitamin are just peed out because your body can't use them. Supplemental herbs? You might as well just place your dollars directly in the toilet and flush.
  • RISEOFPATRIOTS
    Options
    Unless you have an actual deficiency or feel your diet is deficient because of a lack of certain foods (ie. vegan, paleo, lactose intolerant, etc.), the vast majority of vitamins are a ripoff. They do absolutely nothing for you. Exceptions may include things like omega 3 or fish oil, and Vitamin D and calcium. The majority of the ingredients in a multivitamin are just peed out because your body can't use them. Supplemental herbs? You might as well just place your dollars directly in the toilet and flush.
    Omega 3 and calcium isn't hard though.

For rich Omega 3 foods other than seafood are:
    Flaxseeds
    Chia seeds
    walnuts
    Brussels sprouts
    Cauliflower

Calcium rich foods:
    Milk
    cheese
    Almond Milk
    Sesame seeds
    Chia Seeds
    Spinach
    Kale
    Cinnamon spice (I'm serious)
    yougurt
    Bok Choy

Look here for their info http://nutritiondata.self.com/
  • Scarecrowsama
    Scarecrowsama Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    So I've always tried to take my vitamins, just a regular multi with a vitamin C kicker if I felt like I was getting sick. I remember my MD told me a couple years ago that you really don't need one if you're eating a good diet. You should try to get your vitamins from your food. While that's true, I'm not perfect at eating well rounded meals every time, most times sure, but I think I'm probably lacking in some areas. Anyways I'm back to taking my vitamins and truth be told I feel better. More energy and all that good stuff.

Test yourself, but serum levels are not always accurate tests, there is something called "intracellular test", which is going to test your levels inside the cells, which is actually the relevant thing. Some nutrients are vital, and your body will do every thing to have normal levels in blood, so it will take the nutrient from whenever you have it, cells.
    The reason for my question is I recently bought this book that talks about a vegetarian and vegan diet/ lifestyle and why it's healthier. It said something about vitamins and about how they do more harm that good, I didn't get deep into the why but it was referencing some studies. I need to keep reading but I'm sure this book is one sided and wondered what others thought about this.

Vegetarian/vegan diets are not healthier and I will give you one link with an explanation

http://empoweredsustenance.com/is-vegan-healthy/

Vegetarians/vegans have insane amounts of nutritional deficiencies due to the lack of fat and protein. If that book is telling you that vitamins do more harm than good, then you should just accept that it was a bad purchase, is not a problem, we all make mistakes.
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options

Flaxseeds
    Chia seeds
    walnuts
    Brussels sprouts
    Cauliflower

Calcium rich foods:
    Milk
    cheese
    Almond Milk
    Sesame seeds
    Chia Seeds
    Spinach
    Kale
    yougurt
    Bok Choy

1 tablespoon of cinnamon is only 7% daily value. Hardly a good source and who eats that much. Add to that that most "cinnamon" sold commercially is actually cassia and you shouldn't eat that much as it contains coumarins . I buy Sri Lankan true cinnamon for that reason.
    Also, plant based omega 3s aren't as bio-available as fish based.
  • Scarecrowsama
    Scarecrowsama Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »

What about cholesterol and other fat soluble vitamins? Did you know that some of the vitamins and minerals found in plants are poorly absorb by humans? Vegetables contain many anti-nutrients, natural defences of the plants against predators, mostly minerals, they bind to them and you can't absorb them, vitamin A, it is almost non absorbable by humans, nonheme iron is another one and the list goes on.

Flaxseeds
    Chia seeds
    walnuts
    Brussels sprouts
    Cauliflower

Calcium rich foods:
    Milk
    cheese
    Almond Milk
    Sesame seeds
    Chia Seeds
    Spinach
    Kale
    yougurt
    Bok Choy

There are several types of omega 3 and omega 6, the ones found in plants are ALA and LA, seeds indeed contain a high amount of them, but the ones that our body needs are EPA and DHA, it is true that our bodies can convert some ALA to them, it is also true that the ratio is incredibly low, also, if you consume high amounts of omega 6, your body will not have time for the omega 3 conversion, and most of the plant-based foods that are rich in omega 3 are richer in omega 6. There is nothing that can compare to fish in that regard and the EFA's are crucial for optimal health.

Calcium has a similar story, thing is that calcium interferes with iron absorption, therefore consuming many plant-based-calcium-rich foods is going to make you iron deficient. Another story is how much calcium is enough, which can be discussed.

Anyway, calcium needs vitamins D and K2 in order to go where you want it, if you just consume calcium from plants and you do not consume natto (a Japanese fermented food rich in K2, only plant source of this vitamin), you will clog your arteries and have a cardiovascular disease, stones, osteoporosis or things of that matter.

That is why the best sources of calcium usually come packed with the other things that you need, like eggs or milk products.

One last thing, most of the non-dairy milks sold out there contain calcium carbonate which is a pretty much non-absorbable form of calcium, so you are just basically throwing your many away.
  • RISEOFPATRIOTS
    Options
    FredDoyle wrote: »

Flaxseeds
    Chia seeds
    walnuts
    Brussels sprouts
    Cauliflower

Calcium rich foods:
    Milk
    cheese
    Almond Milk
    Sesame seeds
    Chia Seeds
    Spinach
    Kale
    yougurt
    Bok Choy

1 tablespoon of cinnamon is only 7% daily value. Hardly a good source and who eats that much. Add to that that most "cinnamon" sold commercially is actually cassia and you shouldn't eat that much as it contains coumarins . I buy Sri Lankan true cinnamon for that reason.
    FredDoyle wrote: »

Flaxseeds
    Chia seeds
    walnuts
    Brussels sprouts
    Cauliflower

Calcium rich foods:
    Milk
    cheese
    Almond Milk
    Sesame seeds
    Chia Seeds
    Spinach
    Kale
    yougurt
    Bok Choy

You can spend a tablesoon of cinnamon throughout the day by putting it on various things. It isn't rocket science and to be honest 7% isn't even bad and cinnamon is rich in mineral called manganese which also makes your bones stronger. A tablespoon is over 50% of your daily needs. Also It wasn't like I saying you have to eat. I just throwing out that what has a good amount for serving. Thanks for telling me about coumarins though because I didn't know that.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    The studies I've read on multivitamins have been less than convincing.
    Three new papers published in the Annals of Internal Medicine add to an accumulated body of research that has studied the health effects of routine vitamin and mineral supplements in healthy populations. The best available evidence gives us good, reliable information to conclude that multivitamins offer no meaningful health benefits to the generally healthy consumer. It’s time to bring an end to the era of indiscriminate multivitamin use.

http://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/more-evidence-that-routine-multivitamin-use-should-be-avoided/