Deadlift technique

Options
2»

Replies

• dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    What are they, 450-500 pounds with the driver still in it?
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    So I have been working out a long time and recently started lifting heavy. One exercise I added is the "deadlift". My problem is, I have watched videos where the grip they use to hold the bar is different. I have seen it where the person holds the bar with their knuckles facing outwards (like an upside down fist) & others hold it in the same way you would if doing a bicep curl (knuckles inwards). What is the correct way to hold the bar?

which ever way works for you...
    At lower weight, I do an overhand grip (so you see my knuckles), at heavier weight I do an over/under grip.
    So my left hand is under (do not see knuckles, palm up) and my right hand is over hand grip (you see knuckles, palm down)

• astronomicals
    astronomicals Posts: 1,537 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Cherimoose wrote: »
    In addition to those 3, i'll add the both-palms-facing-out grip (double supinated). I do this once a week, since it's a common grip when lifting heavy things outside the gym.
    Not the best grip for maximal loads though, due to potential injury of the biceps tendon.

Please keep horrible advice like this to yourself. What % of your 1RM are you doing? Its not smart. How much is the most you've lifted like that?

I called a kid out on it at the gym before and he got all offended. Later he got a distil biceps tear.

Last I checked, one end of a sofa or armoire doesnt weigh 400#. I see no real benefit. The power comes from your legs. I highly doubt you aving trained a double supinated grip is going to have much impact on how much you can lift double supinated. Grip strength will develop regardless of grip. Leg strength will be the ultimate factor (and back). IOW, should this real world scenario arrive, I don't think itll matter much if you do or dont train that specific grip position.
  • dbmata
    Options
    grip strength?

pffft.

Straps.
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    i double overhand frequently, up to 90% of my 1 rm. it's my go-to for lower weights. I only started with mixed grip recently. double overhand works for me and makes it easy for me to prevent back injury because my grip fails before anything else does. I love it.
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    i double overhand frequently, up to 90% of my 1 rm. it's my go-to for lower weights. I only started with mixed grip recently. double overhand works for me and makes it easy for me to prevent back injury because my grip fails before anything else does. I love it.

Straps then, that is what I do, once I go above 315
  • dbmata
    Options
    No belt, no straps.

I do use straps for my front squat though.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    no belt and no straps.. but I am only lifting 2 x BW at the moment. No huge numbers like the rest of you guys.