Exercise Ball Inflation Questions

Options
So our leg curl machine at the gym I go to needed to be reupholstered, and I ended up doing leg curls with a balance ball instead-- and found out that I really liked it, so I went online and got myself a Gaiam Total Body Balance Ball 65cm, and I inflated it(using the hand pump that came with it, which was nearly a workout in itself). I used a tape measure and if it's supposed to be it's circumference, then it's overinflated(or is this measurement meant to be the diameter, in which case, how do I tell when it's full because I don't have a tape measure long enough?) but it still feels too soft when I sit down on it, whereas the one at the gym that is the same size feels nice and firm-- could this be because the Gaiam ball is rubber and whatever one is at the gym may be plastic or should it not make a difference so long as it's inflated right?

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,526 Member
    Options
    Just pump it up till it's firm. That's what we do at our gym.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • InnocentLunatic
    InnocentLunatic Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Alright, thanks, it's feeling a bit better now, but possibly just a tad bit underinflated still, but once I put the stopper in it's such a pain to get out that I think I will just make do with it for now XD Took so long that I wish I had followed the instructions recommendation to use a bike pump instead of the included pump(I mean, it's a sign, when even the instructions tell you that the hand pump stinks) but I was worried about overinflating it and it exploding, which I guess was silly.
  • astronomicals
    astronomicals Posts: 1,537 Member
    Options
    I used a tape measure and if it's supposed to be it's circumference, then it's overinflated(or is this measurement meant to be the diameter, in which case, how do I tell when it's full because I don't have a tape measure long enough)

Thats impossible... the tape measure is long enough... measure out 65 cm from the corner of a wall and mark the spot.. pump it till it is that wide while leaning against the adjacent wall. Make sense?
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options
    I was told by a gym instructor to make sure your hips and knees are lined up when you sit on it.