Helllllloooooo NURSE!! Broke 20 lbs lost thanks to MFP

Options
Hey all, I'm a RN going to NP school, and I can't be a FAT practitioner talking about diabetes, weight loss, metabolic syndrome, obesity when I'm a fat-*kitten* myself, so here's my story:

A year ago, I trained for a 5K and my knees started bothering me as they do sometimes. Got some x-rays and the doctor told me I have about 25% less cartilage than I should at my age and that soon I would probably develop arthritis when my cartilage wore out and it was bone on bone action. I shook him off, ran the 5K, my knees where hurting and never ran again. All because of my weight….

I'm just now introducing myself. I have been successfully using MFP for about a 4 months now and I've lost 23 pounds. I hit my high around New Year's. I hit 295 and it was depressing. I had to buy size 44 pants! I even went to the BIG n Tall store to get some clothing. I said enough and I'm back at the gym. Back on the weights, on the bikes, on the cardio machine.

For the first time I've really been counting calories and I feel like I "got it" for the first time in my life. I hope to lose about 1.5-1.75 pounds a week but I've been averaging 1.5- 2.5 lbs. weekly. I'm not starving myself and I’m doing this correctly.
I'm 36 and I've been over 225 since 16 and have slowly just gained a little weight. I got married three years back and I look at the photos unhappily and wonder what if I had started this change of lifestyle four years ago. 10 years ago, I went to Europe prepped by swimming four days/week. I got down to 269 and felt awesome. I took me about a year to hit 285 again. I've been in the 280's so long that I began to think that is where my body wants to be, that’s where its comfortable.

2011 is my year.
2012 will have me chiseled.
I want to be healthy and I want to be 85 to see my family have a family.

SW 1/11/11: 295
CW 4/21/11: 271
GW#1 5/01/11: 269
GW#2 7/04/11: 255
GW#3 12/31/11: 230
GW#4 06/10/11: 200

Replies

• cinemaone
    cinemaone Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Now almost 25
  • stacimusmax
    stacimusmax Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Glad to hear that you (and I) are doing this the healthy way.
    I have 3 pts tonight, average age 43, average weight 135kg (and they are not tall), they are all in IICU with some condition that a healthy weight/lifestyle could have prevented.
    I know that even at my weight, I am at risk of certain medical problems. I don't want to be a diabetic like my mother (who only weighs 10lbs more than me) or have heart disease before the age of 50 (like my father).
    With that being said....lets keep up the good work!
  • cinemaone
    cinemaone Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Glad to hear that you (and I) are doing this the healthy way.
    I have 3 pts tonight, average age 43, average weight 135kg (and they are not tall), they are all in IICU with some condition that a healthy weight/lifestyle could have prevented.
    I know that even at my weight, I am at risk of certain medical problems. I don't want to be a diabetic like my mother (who only weighs 10lbs more than me) or have heart disease before the age of 50 (like my father).
    With that being said....lets keep up the good work!

Totally agree. I don't know why I just sat in the dark for so long. I knew I could do it. I just was complacent and I always had a goal that I that was greater at that moment. I'm a year away from NP, so I have to get down. I will and I will be awesome!@!