I'm traveling and am eating EVERYTHING

Options
I rarely get to go anywhere, so now that I'm abroad I'm eating everything I will never get in L.A.

I don't feel guilty, because I know I won't get to eat these things for a longggggggg time after I leave, but I'm also feeling a bit nervous, because I don't really know what to expect of my body at this point. Could you guys help me figure things out?

I counted and in the past 4 days, i ate a good excess of about 4000 calories (with intended exercise included- I walk a lot in london, but i don't count it.) Does that mean I gained a little more than a pound in four days? Is it going to be super difficult to get off? It was a struggle for me to lose the 8 lbs and then break that plateau last week! and now this!

anybody have any stories where it's like "dude, it's fine! I did the same thing and dropped it!"

starting tomorrow I'm back on track (pretty much ate and tried everything I wanted to), but just want to cheer up a bit. i don't regret the food, but just really anxious about "oh god oh god oh god... did i totally screw myself here?""

thanks so much for whatever support you can give!

Replies

• aevonvett
    aevonvett Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I find that after a vacation I can rebound pretty quickly. The most important thing is to not beat yourself up. You didn't lose the fight on this vacation. It sounds like you made the choice to enjoy yourself and that's pretty rad. This week may not be a losing week, but there's always next week. I hope you had a great time and have lots of great memories.
  • 50sFit
    50sFit Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    When I travel, the first arrangement I make is my exercise schedule based on whatever is available. My second item is lodging. I eat well, and never gain a pound.
  • elgar22
    elgar22 Posts: 7 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I travel often and there is always a little payback when you come home. If you get back to your good habits you will soon get back on track. Don't punish yourself for enjoying your holiday. You could also get yourself a pedometer app for your smartphone - you'll be amazed how far you walk on a day's sightseeing. Hope you enjoyed your trip.
  • toiletski
    toiletski Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Definitely enjoy your vacation. Don't worry about your calories but don't overdo it either if it will make you feel too guilty. I went to London in September and walked 11-13 miles a day and ended up losing 5 pounds even though I ate anything I wanted and stopped in several pubs a day for a pint at each place. You'll be ok!
  • FFrost14
    FFrost14 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I agree with what's been stated already. Don't beat yourself up. You were on vacation, you experienced another culture. Get back to your routine soon and keep working towards your goals. I did the same thing in London in April (see photo). I gained a couple of pounds... and then I lost a couple of pounds. It was just a little (enjoyable) glitch along my weight loss plan.
  • AstroDiv
    AstroDiv Posts: 2 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Wow! You guys are all so awesome! Thank you so much! Yeah, I stepped on the scale today and it said 60kg, which, much like toiletski, would mean a 5 lb weight loss! I don't trust the scale here, though, so I will weigh myself on Sunday after the flight bloat is gone.

Thanks again so much you guys! I feel a lot better knowing that it is completely sane and healthy to enjoy a rare vacation. I will just work it all out next week! Y'all are the best and thanks so much again!
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,487 Member
    Options
    I love to cruise and find the great food and drink aboard can easily add 5 lb. Add to that the water gain from eating food that is much saltier than I usually eat and the general travel 'bloat' , for want of a better word, and there is 7 lb in 2 weeks.
    To counter the gains is all the extra walking I do when in port, the swimming and snorkelling, and always taking the stairs.
    The upshot of it all is I weigh myself as soon as I get home, out of curiosity, disregard that weight, return to my regular eating and exercice pattern, and seriously weigh and measure myself in 2 weeks.
    I am usually the weight and size I left for the cruise at.
    I am 5'1 and 104lb and it used to take close to 6 weeks to lose a pound when I got close to my goal weight 4 years ago.

Don't worry about your gains try whatever food you wish. Who knows when you will get this chance again. Also remember you don't have to clean your plate.
    Sample lots; devour the irresistible.