strength training

Options
Which is better and can give me the best results: using machines or free weights to strength train? I am not comfortable using free weights but love working out with the machines. I want to tone my whole body, but am not sure which weights to use to get the maximum benefit.

Replies

• jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Free weights will generally give you better overall results, better bang for your lifting buck, but you can certainly progress and see results using machines.

Don't forget, much of toning has to do with appropriate calorie intake.
  • prettygirlstorm1
    prettygirlstorm1 Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    thanks jacksonpt I am uncomfortable using free weights mainly because I am not sure what I am doing. I need to talk with a personal trainer but that can be expensive. Can you recommend any websites that can give me a beginner's workout.
  • Lofteren
    Lofteren Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    stronglifts.com has everything you need.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    A beginner workout using machines? I'm not aware of any as I haven't spent any meaningful time on machines in several years. Many gyms have circuits setup for machine use - try asking someone who works at/for the gym.

As for free weights, starting strength would be my recommendation. Ask your gym what they offer for into to the free weights, or check out form/technique videos on youtube to get started.
  • prettygirlstorm1
    Options
    jacksonpt wrote: »
    A beginner workout using machines? I'm not aware of any as I haven't spent any meaningful time on machines in several years. Many gyms have circuits setup for machine use - try asking someone who works at/for the gym.

As for free weights, starting strength would be my recommendation. Ask your gym what they offer for into to the free weights, or check out form/technique videos on youtube to get started.
    oh no I was looking for a beginning workout for free weights. thanks
  • prettygirlstorm1
    Options
    Lofteren wrote: »
    stronglifts.com has everything you need.

i did check out stronglifts.com thanks
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    free weights, get a good beginner program and follow it.
  • nayers86
    Options
    I generally use mostly free weights but also use some machines and cables. Free weights are great so long as your form is correct, with a machine it is less likely that you will have poor form as they are designed to essentially eliminate that problem. I tend to use machines as a finisher to my split for the day. I would definitely look into bodybuilding.com; they have a ton of different programs and also have a video library for each exercise. Practice form at home, with no weights, then hit the gym prepared.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    Machines lock you into a specific movement pattern, which is great for isolation, but may not be correct for your biomechanics, or actually getting strong in such a movement.

In the real world, we don't have machines helping us pick stuff up and put it down. Might be a good idea to ensure your body can handle the rigors of doing that.

Or not, do whatever.