Weights on a Budget

Options
Ok, I'm guilty of scrolling through instragram and admiring all the fit chicks. They are always posed in the gym, drinking protein shakes, and dead lifting. :o Ok, I'm a poor teacher. I can't afford a gym membership. I DO however have kettlebells, and some dumbbells. My kettle bells are 5, 10, and 20 lbs and I have some dumbbells that range from 8 to 25 pounds. I have a pilates ball and a treadmill. With only these tools, can I look fabulous too? I looked into getting some heavier weights, but right now, this is all I'm working with. :neutral_face:

Replies

• FitnessTrainer69
    FitnessTrainer69 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    You'll be limited but you can achieve a nice figure with these. Have a meal plan and throw in some cardio and your set.
  • browndog1410
    Options
    Weights help but aren't necessary. Most of my gains have been achieved via body weight exercises e.g. the best exercise for lat width are pull-ups and they really work the arms as well. Handstand pushups are great for shoulders etc.
    If you want to add to resistance without buying more dumb bells why not use resistance bands. These substantially add to the difficulty without the cost. You can even take them when you travel just in case the hotel gym is not very good.
  • h7463
    h7463 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Hi! Check out all the video workouts by Jillian Michaels. Most of them are posted free on youtube. Some are debating her skills and form on some of the exercises, but her workouts generally work out! I'm a fan of her training, and you have all the weights you'll ever need.
    Watch your calories, give it all in the workouts, and you'll get lean and tight allover....and I am not kidding....lol

Good luck!
  • nayers86
    Options
    You should be able to achieve some success with the weights and equipment you have at home. Someday, though, depending on what kind of "fit body" you want to achieve you'll find your hands tied with what you have.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    There are bodyweight routines you could do if you don't have access to weights
    Strong Curves
    Body by You
    Convict Conditioning
    Nerdfitness.com

As for equipment, ebay and Craigslist would be a good place to look for starters for cheaper barbell sets.

If you don't have a lot of room, you could get the dumbbells that use plates and you can just buy more/heavier plates as you progress instead of worrying about getting the whole set.

There is one by Cap Barbell on Amazon for around $50 with 30lbs to start (not including 2-3lbs each per handle).

Also, since you have a treadmill, you could look into some HIIT programs if you want.
  • gamesandgains
    gamesandgains Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    Since everyone already provided tips, I just wanted to say you look like the singer of Phantogram!
  • PrimroseFlower
    PrimroseFlower Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice. I will work with what I have and I know most of it will come with diet. I've lowered my calories to about 1200-1500 a day. I have thyroid issues so I have to drop it low to get results. Guess I'll be swinging my kettlebells. Look out cats!
    :o - and phantogram...I guess maybe without the bangs ;) If you had more tattoos you would look like the singer of Avenged Sevenfold @gamesandgains :)
  • gamesandgains
    gamesandgains Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice. I will work with what I have and I know most of it will come with diet. I've lowered my calories to about 1200-1500 a day. I have thyroid issues so I have to drop it low to get results. Guess I'll be swinging my kettlebells. Look out cats!
    :o - and phantogram...I guess maybe without the bangs ;) If you had more tattoos you would look like the singer of Avenged Sevenfold @gamesandgains :)

Haha that's a first. I've gotten Chino before but not M. Shadows. Thanks, assuming it's a compliment :D
  • PrimroseFlower
    PrimroseFlower Posts: 110 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Of course. He's hot. @gamesandgains ;)