1 month of exercising every day and gained weight :(

Options
Hi all...I have to ask... Shouldn't I see some kind of results...I have been either jogging or using an elliptical every day for 30 days and have gained 2 pounds. Things do not seem to fit better either. Granted my diet is not the best, but I have been eating a little better. But a weight gain? I started this thinking once I started loosing some weight from working out I'll get the motivation to have a clean diet. Any tips? or hope?

Replies

• girlonabikedc
    girlonabikedc Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Fitness is 80% diet, 20% exercise.

If you're not seeing results from exercise, clean up the diet. It really works.

Also don't forget that your body might be changing in composition (muscle/fat) before you see a change in the scale (and it can account for that gain-don't worry, it's temporary).
  • sharpeoplepc
    sharpeoplepc Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I exercise 1-2 hours a day, 5 days a week. If I don't count my calories, I gain weight. I trained for a half marathon a couple of years ago and gained 10 pounds in three months. Exercise makes me hungry. Maybe you have the same problem. I recommend setting up MFP to maintain weight and start tracking your foods. Get used to exercising and tracking foods and then change your settings for weight loss.
  • bamboozlebeats
    Options
    Stay positive and be patient. It will pay off. The key is consistency. The weight gain is probably coming from muscle mass.
  • bronwenless
    bronwenless Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    First off - well done for consistently exercising for 30 days! This could be a number of things like water gain or building muscle losing fat, but more than anything diet is important. It is my understanding that exercise is great for keeping healthy and maintaing weight loss, but diet is where the actual weight loss comes from. Sometimes it takes awhile, but it will happen -don't give up!!
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    What sort of calorie deficit have you been running? Can you open your diary?
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    You can exercise all you want, but if you don't have a calorie deficit, you won't lose weight. I don't exercise for weight loss - I do it for it's other many health benefits - including muscle toning, stress relief and cardio fitness. To manage weight, watch what you eat. :drinker:

ETA: Like the poster above, when training for my first marathon I put on weight, too, because I ate to make up for what I burned and then some. I wasn't watching my calories so I had no idea what I was eating. For my recent training, I watched my calories and was able to easily maintain my ideal weight.
  • dvisser1
    dvisser1 Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    Hi all...I have to ask... Shouldn't I see some kind of results...I have been either jogging or using an elliptical every day for 30 days and have gained 2 pounds. Things do not seem to fit better either. Granted my diet is not the best, but I have been eating a little better. But a weight gain? I started this thinking once I started loosing some weight from working out I'll get the motivation to have a clean diet. Any tips? or hope?

If you're not eating at a planned deficit or your exercise is not enough to accidentally cause a consistent deficit, you will not lose weight. It's that simple. Losing weight is all about consuming fewer calories than your burn. You don't have to have a rigidly clean diet to lose weight, but at a very minimum you need to know how much you're burning each day and how much you're eating each day. Once you see how many calories you're eating, you can start making decisions about your diet to get the most bang for your calories.

2 lbs....could be a little muscle growth, could be a little water weight, could be you ate more yesterday than you did the day before weighing yourself a month ago.
  • srk143
    srk143 Posts: 27
    Options
    I have not been logging my food. I guess I am disappointing because I have not gained a pound or lost a pound since my son was born 2 years ago (I mean a pound here a pound there) but the number is still the same. So going from 2 years of inactivity to constant 30 day jogging (most of the days) I just figured should put in some kind of calorie deficit. I dont think I am eating more. I guess tracking is the only way to find out. I just lack self control. Every day i decide to start fresh and it seems soo easy but at the end of the day all is lost (but I have been like that all my life, but have not really gained much weight except during my pregnancy). sorry about the rant...just feeling hopeless :(
  • srk143
    Options

If you're not eating at a planned deficit or your exercise is not enough to accidentally cause a consistent deficit, you will not lose weight. It's that simple. Losing weight is all about consuming fewer calories than your burn. You don't have to have a rigidly clean diet to lose weight, but at a very minimum you need to know how much you're burning each day and how much you're eating each day. Once you see how many calories you're eating, you can start making decisions about your diet to get the most bang for your calories.

2 lbs....could be a little muscle growth, could be a little water weight, could be you ate more yesterday than you did the day before weighing yourself a month ago.

^^^^
    Yea...that prolly explains the 2 pounds......
  • lorny39
    lorny39 Posts: 11
    Options
    excerise builds muscles, muscle weighs more that fat, your probably losing but watch your food intake closely
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Yep. Start tracking. That's what this site is for.
  • srk143
    Options
    :) thanks all. Exercise i can do, Controlling my eating not soo much... I guess i was hoping exercise will get me half way... ....you guys all amaze me with your life change. Way to go..I envy everyone's motivation and determination
  • ihad
    ihad Posts: 7,462 Member
    Options
    Try the logging for just a week. I bet it really shines light on what's happening. From there you can make better, more informed decisions on next steps. Good luck!
  • nataliexxxx
    nataliexxxx Posts: 262
    Options
    you need to eat better aswell but you should take inches and see if you have lost any inches:)
  • stepgeiger12
    stepgeiger12 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I have been tracking mine for 30 days as well and have gained 8lbs and no reduction in measurements I average 1300 cals a day and meet my carb/protien & fats I eat healthy mostly all veggies and lean protiens. I exercise everyday and even changed my sitting desk to a stand up desk at work I am so frustrated what am I doing wrong I even had blood work done to make sure there was no thyroid issue. I am 5-10 and 229 lbs and 33yrs old I should be able to lose weight somewhere!!!! HELP
  • Tornadoes_R_Fun
    Options
    you are eating too much.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    lorny39 wrote: »
    excerise builds muscles, muscle weighs more that fat, your probably losing but watch your food intake closely

Yeahno.

It's easy to fall into the trap of feeling entitled to eat more because you're exercising, and ending up eating up more than what you burn.
  • TossaBeanBag
    TossaBeanBag Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    srk143 wrote: »

Exercised and made up for the calories burned and then some... drink more water.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    srk143 wrote: »
    :) thanks all. Exercise i can do, Controlling my eating not soo much... I guess i was hoping exercise will get me half way... ....you guys all amaze me with your life change. Way to go..I envy everyone's motivation and determination

Wy not just get into the practice of logging all your food. dont try and control it, just log it and you cna then get an idea of how much you are eating and whether its over your miantenance or at a deficit. Logging is the conerstone of MFP as it provides the information from which you cna make decisions and learn about what calories foods contain and how much you get for portion control.
    half an hours exercise a day probably amounts to a candy bar or a 50g bag of crisps.
  • nayers86
    Options
    lorny39 wrote: »

Whatever you do don't believe this point. A pound of muscle is the same weight as a pound of fat; such as a ton of feathers is the same weight as a ton of bricks. The difference is muscle is more compact/dense than fat and takes up less room.

Track your food intake and drink enough water, you will start to lose. It's only been 30 days give yourself the time to make the changes. Hang in there!