JM's "Master Your Metabolism"... distilled!

Options
I've been really interested lately in learning more about metabolism works. I'm guessing many of us think weight loss is about calories and exercise, or we think metabolism is all about how efficiently our body burns calories, but that is NOT the complete story. there are so many other factors that contribute to weight loss and health, including hormones, stress, sleep, water, and our environment. and metabolism is not just about how we burn calories, but about all the catabolic and anabolic processes occurring in our bodies - it IS our biochemistry. i started seeing a dietician recently, and he also agrees that most people oversimplify weight loss to calories and exercise. if we solely focus on those factors, then i think we will surely get frustrated when we do our best to control those aspects so well, yet don't see progress on the scale or our measuring tape.

so, in a personal pursuit to learn more about all these other factors that affect our weight and health, i'm going to share with you things that i learn while reading jillian michael's "master your metabolism." i just checked it out of the library today, and at first blush, it looks like a great resource. it has 4-star ratings on amazon, and is endorsed by a ucla physician in the foreword, so it's good enough for me. :) i'll also try to supplement what i learn with another great resource on metabolism that was recommended by my dietician called "cracking the metabolic code" by james lavalle (that one's much more scientific, and even tho i was pre-med in college, i have to re-read many sections! ;P)

i'll be posting my learnings on my mfp blog (http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/hsinster), so that my mfp pals will see thru their newsfeed whenever i post a new entry (for some reason, our walls don't update whenever we reply to a topic we created). also, feel free to also check out JM's book from the library and read along with me! i'm looking forward to this educational journey... and i know that writing down what i learn will better reinforce what i read, and i hope the info will prove valuable to you as well.

let's adopt a holistic view toward health and weight management!! who's with me? :)

Replies