Your body knows what nutrient deficiencies you have and craves foods with those nutrients

Options

Replies

• dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    Show me the science. Peer reviewed studies.

It's true, when I'm sick my body craves bourbon.

Therefore I'm deficient in ethanol, naturally.

I had this reviewed at a local bar, by a table full of chemists, biologists, ecologists, and one freshly minted neuroscientist.
  • dbmata
    Options
    ive b
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    OP - it is also possible to grow two heads..

show me the peer reviewed science on this..

go!

YOU CANT HANDLE THE PEER REVIEWED STUDIES!

I'll show ya, what's your snapchat? junk pics incoming.
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    Deficient in beer and honey-roasted cashews, apparently.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Are Cheez-Its a nutrient?
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    Show me the science. Peer reviewed studies.

It's true, when I'm sick my body craves bourbon.

Therefore I'm deficient in ethanol, naturally.

I had this reviewed at a local bar, by a table full of chemists, biologists, ecologists, and one freshly minted neuroscientist.

Research brought to you courtesy of a bunch of dead Presidents no doubt!
  • girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options

ETA I have heard of a recent study on women craving fat for DHA but I haven't been able to locate it yet.

I do think it makes sense we would have ability to detect gross deficiencies for very vital nutrients and seek to replace. Not up on the lit though :)
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options

ETA I have heard of a recent study on women craving fat for DHA but I haven't been able to locate it yet.

I do think it makes sense we would have ability to detect gross deficiencies for very vital nutrients and seek to replace. Not up on the lit though :)

No, now that I remember a little more clearly, it was a theory that women are eating more fat to get the same DHA as before because they need to have a certain level of DHA for pregnancy but the percentage of DHA in fats is lower these days so they are gaining weight but the extra fat would have the same amount of DHA content as women decades ago with less body fat. I don't think there has been a formal study on it yet.
  • mbailey423
    mbailey423 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I must have a Snickers Bar deficiency at the moment then. LOL
  • KameHameHaaaa
    KameHameHaaaa Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    No idea on that one. The only thing I'm low on (badly) is vitamin D. I was taking 50000 IU's *prescribed* twice a week on top of D3 5000 IU's twice a day. I never crave fish, eggs etc. It's always something like honey buns and pizza LOL!
  • girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options

No, now that I remember a little more clearly, it was a theory that women are eating more fat to get the same DHA as before because they need to have a certain level of DHA for pregnancy but the percentage of DHA in fats is lower these days so they are gaining weight but the extra fat would have the same amount of DHA content as women decades ago with less body fat. I don't think there has been a formal study on it yet.

Interesting theory then, but are women actually eating more fat? That is surprising to me.
  • llUndecidedll
    llUndecidedll Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    I don't know. I used to like ketchup with everything but for the past couple of years I've been craving yellow mustard which isn't nutritious at all.

Other than that I just crave burgers, but my body gets plenty of protein and fat. I also take 2 different kinds of multivitamins .
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    QueenBishOTUniverse Posts: 14,121 Member
    Options
    When I'm protein deficient I definitely crave meat. :wink:
  • chickwithpencil
    chickwithpencil Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I crave citrus, and often tuna, after I've had a bad day with my seizures (basically, carbs, protein, Vitamin C, B vitamins - all things that would aid recovery.) So yeah, I've always felt there was something to it...
  • crisb2
    crisb2 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Here, I did the heavy lifting for you: http://bit.ly/ZVL21O
  • MSeel1984
    MSeel1984 Posts: 2,297 Member
    Options
    My body must be lacking whatever makes me want to eat butterfingers...?
  • dbmata
    Options
    No idea on that one. The only thing I'm low on (badly) is vitamin D. I was taking 50000 IU's *prescribed* twice a week on top of D3 5000 IU's twice a day. I never crave fish, eggs etc. It's always something like honey buns and pizza LOL!
    "me wrote:
    I've been known to offer vitamin d to certain lucky people.

Legen....

wait for it.

..... DARY!
  • rivka_m
    rivka_m Posts: 1,007 Member
    Options
    I had pica (specifically, ice) when I was seriously anemic and it went away when my hemoglobin levels finally went back to normal. Apparently ice cravings are not uncommon with anemia. So I tend to think that there's something to it, but that our bodies aren't good at having the correct craving to match the deficiency. Because usually my body is saying "carbs pls" and I eat plenty of those.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options

Interesting theory then, but are women actually eating more fat? That is surprising to me.

That seems to be what they suggest, it sounds like a social biology theory so it may be a little stretched.
  • wamydia
    wamydia Posts: 259 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    OP - it is also possible to grow two heads..

show me the peer reviewed science on this..

go!

I want a meta-analysis, hurry up!

So that's one order for a peer review and one order for a meta-analysis... Cars getting full. Oddly enough, there is evidence for pica in certain cultures for iron deficiencies but not for corresponding food cravings in any population. Curious....

I had pica for crunching ice when I was anemic, but never once craved a rare steak or a big pile of broccoli. And I was severely iron deficient (like almost needing a transfusion deficient).

ETA: eating ice doesn't actually provide any iron, btw. So if the body is picking things to eat based on an iron deficiency, it isn't do a very good job.