Do you have loose skin now?

Options
Emsie_lou
Emsie_lou Posts: 50 Member
I have about 80lbs to lose and my biggest fear is getting so much loose skin that I will hate my body more.

Replies

• ksmithnh
    ksmithnh Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I'm 60 lbs down and I'm really worried about the same. I feel like I have more 'flab' now than at my heaviest. I should probably look into some toning workouts to try and tighten some of it up. Frustrating!
  • harlanJEN
    harlanJEN Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    Nope! Down 70ish. I'm actually firmer - no loose skin. Course, I went slow and I strength trained. I didn't peek at your age, that is also a factor. I'm 51 - started losing @ 47. Been in maintenance / body recomp for a while. Eat WELL, move well - no rapid losses. Focus on HEALTH! Slow, sustainable lifestyle changes = WIN.
  • harlanJEN
    harlanJEN Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    Just peeked. You are 30. 211 is your start weight. I was at 236. Don't be so sure that 80 lbs is the # you seek to lose. Focus on losing FAT - maintaining/developing your lean body mass. When folks lose with WEIGHT as the main target, then the result can be as the the poster said above " I feel like I Have more flab now than at my heaviest'. Body composition is so very important and please consider vs. "just" choosing a # of pounds to lose. Important, but not the whole pic - not by a long shot!
  • 2thesexydress
    2thesexydress Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    A friend said the other day, to look into doing what bodybuilders do, put on muscle.

You can do a lot with a simple set of dumbbells at home. Lots of presses, squats, deadlifts, all sorts of resistance exercises.

Start simple and use your intuition to tweak your own program from there. Bench and various presses, curl, squat and deadlift with the dumbbells. Bent over rows are good with dumbbells. Do pull ups and push ups. Do different crunch variations for abs.

Resistance bands, ab rollout wheels and medicine balls are all less expensive tools to assist with your workouts. Use a band to assist with pull ups, for instance. Or curl with bands.

Doing ab exercises will only increase the muscle underneath the skin. Skin tightens on its own in time, Sticking to a healthy balanced diet and a good mixture of weight training will speed up the process.

These are all things i found when i looked it up on the bodybuilding websites.

Although i thought it was probably impossible, but my niece recently had twins and her stomach was abit of a mess, and 2 years on she has a flat stomach, but done by a lot of exercise. It can be done, its dedication.

I guess for the ones who are now trying to lose a big amount of weight, its time to get doing these exercises to make sure you give your excess skin a better chance of tightening up.

Congratulations on the weight loss. xx

• Emsie_lou
    Emsie_lou Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your replies, some helpful answers and will look into weight training x
  • TheSatinPumpkin
    TheSatinPumpkin Posts: 948 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Good info.

You have a while before you cross that bridge so focus on what today brings.
  • arrrrjt
    arrrrjt Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    No but every individual is different. I'm doing it slow (not necessarily by choice) and (attempting to) lift heavy. Down 40 so far but a higher starting weight than you.

Trust me, the possibility of having loose skin at the end should not be stopping you! Good luck =)
  • Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    Yep, lots. I've done the strength training thing, I've lost weight slowly - I think there just comes a point where you can't avoid loose skin. At my highest ever weight I was about 400 lbs. My 176 lb current self is not going to look the same in that "packaging". I'm not a fan of the loose skin, but I wouldn't trade it for having the weight back that's for sure!
  • InnocentLunatic
    InnocentLunatic Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I haven't run into that problem yet, but my brother did when he went into a really intense weight lifting/weight loss program and overindulged in protein powder til his kidneys nearly failed.

So, obviously, losing your weight at a healthier rate likely helps, and I've also invested in a skin brush(you can google dry skin brushing to read about it) but it is really just a form of ex-foliation, that may help with stretch marks and to help the skin stay firm. A lot of skin brush crazy people will say "Oh! I wake up in the morning looking forward to it"... I'm not quite that enthusiastic but I have noticed that some of my discolored spots have been getting smaller, so it seems to be working better than any exfoliating wash ever did. I just have a cheap one made from sisal that I got off amazon.
  • flatlndr
    flatlndr Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    I dropped 105 lbs in 8.5 months (279 to 174). I have a bit of loose skin, most noticeable when I do push-ups. But, there's a bit less this month than there was last month. Hopefully next month will be better. And the month after that, and the month after that, and ...
    • Do I care? A little bit.
    • Do I look better now being slim with loose skin, versus obese with stretched skin? A LOT!

Lose the weight, get healthier, deal with the loose skin, if any, when you get there.

Lift weights, and drink water. The concensus is that it helps. It's helping me.
  • SonicKrunch
    SonicKrunch Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I have a real problem with those photo's you've used to promote the product you are suggesting. The wrinkles in the shorts are the exact same in the two top and two bottom photos. This suggests photoshop work or that they were taken at the exact same time but with a very slight change in the persons upper body angle. It's near impossible to have the same wrinkles in your pants on different days, they would sit differently someplace. The upper photo's could easily be a person slouched over then straight up more. Same with the bottom row.

OP drink lots of water...like 2 gallons a day(if you start strength training that is) and I'd suggest getting more fat(healthy fat from fish or avacado) in your diet if your trying to stay away from fats. This will help your cells to be more elastic.
  • Bekkah5215
    Options
    I've enjoyed reading all of the thoughts/advice on this thread... definitely very helpful! :)
  • ksmithnh
    ksmithnh Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    For someone who has never done any real strength training, any suggestions for where to start?
  • sun_fish
    sun_fish Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    Emsie_lou wrote: »
    I have about 80lbs to lose and my biggest fear is getting so much loose skin that I will hate my body more.

Well, you can always lose the weight, and if you hate your body more because of loose skin you can just gain it back.

I am 5'1, lost 68 pounds, and have loose skin. No way would I EVER trade what I have now for being fat again.
  • alighterday
    Options
    SonicKrunch I look at the anti aging cream facial before and after pictures and they are the same pictures, lightened up and doctored. They even have on the same blouse. I thought I was nuts for comparing them but I do, always. Was glad to see you said you cant have the same wrinkles!! I had a good laugh even though I don't see what picture you are talking about.
  • CrusaderSam
    CrusaderSam Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    There is nothing you can do to prevent loose skin. I don't want to be rude to the people that have already commented...but they don't know what they are talking about. Think about this, if a kid asked you what to do, to be a 6'8" NBA player, you would say stuff like eat right and get lots of sleep. If they don't get to be 6'8" it doesn't mean the kid did anything wrong just not everyone is meant to be that tall.

When someone's parents are both short we don't go around pointing fingers at them saying, see you're shot because you didn't get enough sleep. Not only would that be hurtful but its flat out silly. Yes some things you can take actions to prevent, like if you don't want your teeth to fall out you should brush and floss them often. Other things like your wisdom teeth, if they come in wrong, nothing you could have done about it, you will have to go to some one to have them removed and it doesn't matter how much you brush and floss. Yeah weights and water are great but if you end up with loose chances are it was just meant to be and nothing you can do about it.

If you are not happy with the skin you can get a tummy tuck. The thing is you have to lose the weight first, see if its a problem then you can start thinking about the next step. If the though of it bugs you maybe start saving money now, so you will have it later if it does become a problem and if not you will have more money to spend on new clothing that you will need. You lose 80 pounds the skin is a maybe, but the clothing is 100% sure you will have to replace (well unless you are mc hammer then you can dance around in what ever sized pants you want). So the saved money is a must no matter what.
  • KoalasJourney
    Options
    Healthy and with loose skin = have the option of surgery, still look better in clothes which you spent the majority of your time in, skin will tighten with time.

Overweight = the skin isn't loose, it's ballooning with fat. Unhealthy, tired, in pain, can't breathe, can't run, you can tell you're overweight in clothes, your face isn't as beautiful as it could be.

Let me ask you something, would you rather sleep with someone who is overweight, or someone with loose skin due to them kicking *kitten* and losing weight?
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options

Let me ask you something, would you rather sleep with someone who is overweight, or someone with loose skin due to them kicking *kitten* and losing weight?

Uh, my husband definitely prefers the fat from an aesthetic point of view.. He is only supportive of my weight loss because he knows it's healthier for me. If my decision to lose weight was based PURELY on aesthetics, he'd be encouraging me to stay fat.

Anyway, I've lost 130ish so far with 70 to go and yes, I have a LOT of wrinkly sagging skin but it still has too much fat in it to know exactly how it will end up, but I KNOW it won't go back- there's just too much of it and I've been fat since childhood. I am saving money already for a lower body lift AND I'll need a vertical incision too. It will leave huge scars but I'd rather my belly look like Frankenstein's monster than a sagging shapeless mess.
  • missmiller1
    missmiller1 Posts: 131 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I've been overweight since I was 7 and got up to 200 pounds by the time I was 13. By 23 I was down to 112 pounds from running, Jillian Michaels DVDs, and a 1200-calorie diet. At my lowest weight ever I had lots of loose skin on my lower stomach and all over my thighs, which is where I carried all of my weight (see photo below--age 13). I started weight lifting with the advice on here to get a better look, but no dice. I was strong, but the extra skin on top of the muscle just made me look bigger. :( Looking into getting some plastic surgery done within the year to address the loose skin once and for all.
    Disneyland-1-1.jpg
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!