10k steps and activity level

Options
Hi!

I don't know how to set up my activity level. I read on forums that if I can do around 10,000 steps a day, I should choose 'lightly active', which I did. At the moment my Fitbit averages to 11k steps per day.

But now the diary shows I should eat 2100 kcal a day - it seems a lot, doesn't it? I am 280 lbs and 6ft tall. Does it look right?

Thanks!

Replies

• slucki01
    slucki01 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    i do 10,000+ steps a day and I have mine set at inactive
  • Sunitagt
    Sunitagt Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    I do 15,000 steps a day and have it set at lightly active, but it's just barely there. If you're barely reaching 10k, I would stick with sedentary.
  • 365andstillalive
    365andstillalive Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    I don't know your age or gender, but that's actually not an insane amount by any means.

I'm female, 5'6, 165lbs and lightly active (most days anyway) and I lose just over an lb a week at 1600 cals and have to eat around 2200 if I'm looking to maintain.
  • PoundThePounds
    PoundThePounds Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I'm male, reaching mid-20.

I am able to do 10k easily, hence my average is 11k. I turned on negative calories adjustment, so on lazy days, fitbit will deduce calories right? At the moment, fitbit is giving me from 300 to 500 extra calories a day. I am not sure if I am supposed to eat them back or not. My goal at sedentary is 1800 kcal per day.
  • ncoutlander
    ncoutlander Posts: 3 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I have fitbit and fitbit aria scales(love the aria scales and how they sync to all apps). I no longer use fitbit, but instead opted for an adroid app called SenseMe. I have found this to be a more accurate reflection of steps only, because fitbit was recording any movement. 10,000 steps on SenseMe would equal 20,000 steps on Fitbit. I just carry my phone in my pocket and the app works perfect. If you can do 10k on it, I would consider yourself active. MyfitnessPal, Runkeeper and SenseMe are 3 must have apps if you really want to keep yourself on track. I know I must do 10k per day on Senseme, if I was using Fitbit it would have to be 20k.
  • sllm1
    sllm1 Posts: 2,114 Member
    Options
    I have mine set at sedentary and the FitBit app adds extra calories once I hit about 3,000 steps.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    <5000 steps/day = 'sedentary
    5000-7499 steps/day = low active
    7500-9999 steps/day = somewhat active
    >or=10000 steps/day= active
    >12500 steps/day= highly active
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/14715035
  • bluntlysally
    bluntlysally Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    ok this is going to sound TOO SIMPLE.

what is your fitbit average calories burned? (this comes in the weekly report too).

take that number. write it down.

in mfp, change the activity level until the estimated daily burn is about the same. forget about what the actual activity level is called. (and it will NOT be sedentary - no idea why that [10k+ steps/day] makes sense to anyone!!)

DONE.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    If you're using a Fitbit, look to the Fitbit for your total calories burned for the day. At the end of the day, MFP & Fitbit should match up no matter what level you choose. Choosing an accurate level is important when you don't have anything else to go by. Your Fitbit monitors your actual activity.
  • arrrrjt
    arrrrjt Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Sync your Fitbit to MFP, choose sedentary, and added "calories" will be added to your daily goal. When I was getting over 10,000 steps per day it would add about 500 cal but that obviously depends on YOUR size and fitness goals =)
  • jrline
    jrline Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    Eating back your exercise just makes it longer to get to your goal weight. That number of calories should be sufficient to not be feeling hungry and to lose weight.

29509743.png
  • arrrrjt
    arrrrjt Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Whoops just saw your other questions.
    a) Yes eat them back, but don't go crazy. I like to think if your body is telling you you're hungry, eat! If it isn't, don't.
    b) Yes if you are less active than sedentary it will deduce calories. I know MFP has a minimum of 1200 [aka a sedentary burn may be 1900 cal, you say you want to lose 2 lbs a week, so 1000 deficit a day, it will still say 1200 instead of 900) so I don't know if it would subtract less than that, but likely not as you're saying it is giving you 2200.
  • Niff314
    Niff314 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I make my own definitions. I walk about 8 miles a day, up and down Seattle city streets, plus weights. I put "very active".
    These standards are set by the same people who think BMI is based solely on height/weight ratios.
    Which means the entire NBA is obese.
    Pfft.