Scalloped Corn

Options
Shalaurise
Shalaurise Posts: 707 Member
I have been requested to make this for every family gathering and at every work function once people knew about it. So... I am guessing it tastes pretty good to the masses. Not the healthiest of items, but you can modify some items to lower calories. Just keep in mind, the "gravy" does need some fat so don't cut it all out or it won't thicken appropriately.

1 box of prepared and cooled cornbread. (I use Krusteaz Honey Cornbread)

1 can of drained whole corn
1 can of creamed corn
Mix then set asside

Make 2 to 3 cups of white sauce using the following recipe per cup.
1 Tbs. real butter
1 Tbs. flour
1 cup whole milk
Heat the butter and flower evenly and mix well. Add the milk, heating and stirring until a think gravy like consistency is achieved.

Arrange in layers in a 2.5 quart casserole dish starting with 1/3 of the cooled corn bread. Add 1/2 of the corn mixture that was previously set aside. Follow with 1/2 of the white sauce. Repeat with the 2nd 3rd of the cornbread and the 2nd half of the corn mixture and then the 2nd half of the white sauce. Finish by topping with the last 3rd of the cornbread. Pour 1/2 cup of real butter over the top, cover with aluminum foil and bake at 350 degrees for 30-40 minutes. Uncover for the last 10-15 minutes of baking time to brown the top.

My great grandma Bailey's recipe passed down through the generations. I am sure there were slight modifications with each step like... I think she might have used home made corn bread, but ain't nobody got time for that! :P

Replies