Anyone else have to stop exercising for surgery?

Options
I've been having good progress using MFP and doing Zumba 3x a week. Unfortunately in 3 weeks I have to stop the zumba for a hysterectomy. I believe I have to stop for at least 6 weeks. Has anyone else done this? Did you have to start all over again or did you keep your weight off while you were down? I'm so nervous about it but know I have to listen to what the doctor says. I plan to continue using MFP while I'm off for calorie counting too.

Replies

• Kirstinsbattlewithweight
    Options
    I had to stop exercising as I had both my wrists done and I gained 2kg in 6 weeks, just watch what you eat and you should be fine :)
  • a_reyes9288
    Options
    I got my wisdom teeth taken out yesterday so it has completely ruined my sleeping patterns and eating patterns.

I hardly ate anything in the morning due to pain, but once I was able to take out the gauze and loaded up on pain killers I gorged since I was starving, on yogurt(healthy) pasta(unhealthy) since it's soft and goes down easy

I hope than by Monday I'll be ok to start going back to the gym cuz I'm pretty sure my metabolism is all out of whack right now

I know it's not as serious a procedure, but I know how you feel I'm nervous what my weight will be like in the end.

I hope everything works out for you!
  • jamielise2
    jamielise2 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I had to quit exercising for a couple of months due to knee surgery last May. Finally back at it in the last 6 weeks. Just don't let your temporary break become a much longer one than you planned. I gained 30 lbs in the 9 months I didn't exercise. Get back to it as soon as you can, and watch what you eat.
  • kehowe83
    kehowe83 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I broke this really tiny bone in my foot that took over 4 months to heal. walking differently from the broken foot also caused back spasms. I am only recently starting to go back to the gym, light weights and stationary bike only. My doc stated that I shouldn't even think of running or jogging until the end of the summer.

I have fortunately been able to maintain and even lose some weight during this period, but it requires being very digilant in what I am eating and how much of it.

I know that's not what you will want to do when your recovering from surgery, but it can be done
    best of luck.
  • HelenTheKitchen
    Options
    I just had my gall bladder taken out on Tuesday, they are fairly similar procedures (laproscopic through the bellybutton). I'm a very active runner and had to stop. So far the idea of exercising makes me feel ill, but I'm sure it will get very frustrating very soon. I have to wait 5 weeks until I start going back to my normal exercise routine. If you want to add me I'll let keep you posted with what's happening as I go along. Good luck with your surgery!
  • shadow3829
    shadow3829 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I had one almost 3 years ago. You have to be careful with what you eat and any exercise. But you can start walking almost immediately. It was a very slow go the first couple of weeks, but the walking actually help you get things back to feeling like yourself. I didn't gain any weight at all. I was back to work 2 weeks after the surgery.
  • kimkimchi
    kimkimchi Posts: 58
    Options
    I'm having surgery in 2 weeks as well! My healing time before I should be doing exercise is only 3 weeks though. In this time I just plan to eat as healthfully as I can and watch my calories.
  • KimA1
    KimA1 Posts: 47
    Options
    I'm going to the store the weekend before and picking up lots of fruit, sugar free jello, things I like and will help keep me on the plan. Thanks everyone for your input!
  • ImperfektAngel
    ImperfektAngel Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    you will have to depend on your diet alone, stick to it as much as possible :) good luck (((hug)))
  • fitcrew
    fitcrew Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I am out for a few months due to back issues....I am staying on MFP just to keep me on track and I enjoy keeping fitness a huge part of my life everyday,it will help you keep focused. Like others said,watch your diet closely. While you are out make sure to focus on on improving what you can instead of distracted by what seems impossible while you are off the fitness train....Good luck and hope everything goes well for you :)
  • kettlewitch
    kettlewitch Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I just had my gall bladder taken out on Tuesday, they are fairly similar procedures (laproscopic through the bellybutton). I'm a very active runner and had to stop. So far the idea of exercising makes me feel ill, but I'm sure it will get very frustrating very soon. I have to wait 5 weeks until I start going back to my normal exercise routine. If you want to add me I'll let keep you posted with what's happening as I go along. Good luck with your surgery!

I've just been referred to have mine out too but it's now that I'm struggling. I carry my weight a lot round my stomach and all the usual gym routines seem to bring on pain because I'm putting pressure on that whole area. I'm uncomfortable with my stones a lot of the time especially in my back and am trying really hard not to take painkillers every day but after an hour at the gym this morning I've had to take 3 doses today. Have sent a friend request as I'm interested to see how you get on. I'm supposed to be doing the great south run in October and am a bit worried that if I don't get an op date soon then I'm not going to be able to do it. Have been referred as urgent as my liver function is being badly affected and i ended up in a & e two weeks ago after a bad attack but not sure what urgent means in the NHS!