Winter workour gear

Options
OK, so I finally made my way to running outdoors and I love it! But now the mornings are awefully cold, and sometimes rainy. The rain I can't do anything about and am just going to run at the gym on a treadmill (yuck.) But I am not sure what to do about the cold. I want to stick to running outdoors for as long as possible, as I hate the treadmill so much. But I'm not sure what clothes I should wear.

I always start off super cold, and then a mile in my sweatshirt is off and long sleeves get pushed up. I know that when I initally go out, I will want to wear running gloves and a head band to cover my ears, but I know they will eventually come off and I will get annoyed having to carry them for the four miles. Suggestions? What does everyone else do?

Replies

• Foamroller
    Foamroller Posts: 1,041 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Winter running tights are a bit thicker with or without compression. Running fleece (ventilation )with long sleeves and cutout for thumbs work up to certain degrees. Or thin fleece/cotton gloves if very cold. Cotton headbands? Not so warm as ordinary winter headgear. Just some ideas...I only started running this autumn. Find it challenging to gauge how much clothes I need, always get too warm too. I use a cap or a fishing hat to stop rain into eyes and a light water repellant running jacket.

Happy running:)

EDIT: I used to have a 100% silk tights that I used as insulation when skiing. Sadly it's falling apart in seams after 10 years... Using any long underwear with good ventilation under running tights would probably work as a cheaper option than buying winter specific tights.

Can any of the fitness gear brands please start making winter underwear silk tights with lycra or microfiber for stretchiness? :)
  • TweedAddict
    TweedAddict Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I've got running bottoms that are thicker on the front then the back, they keep you warm but allow you breathe as well. I think that's why most people get too hot, the clothes don't breathe. I've also got a top like aswell, and you can roll down the arms to cover your hands until you warm.
  • jrline
    jrline Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    Layers and the underarmour type of lower layers are great. I ran when it was single digits in January.

29509743.png
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    My winter running must haves:

1. Very lightweight jacket. Waterproof, but most importantly with zipped pockets for holding things.
    2. Gloves. To start with, then remove and stuff into jacket pockets.
    3. Headband or buff. See gloves.
    4. Trousers with thicker fronts - I've only just got these (cheap in Lidl!) and already I love them.
  • wissabear
    wissabear Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Underarmour cold gear. Its a bit pricey, but breathes well after you warm up.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    I dress so that I'm cold, but not freezing, when I leave the house. Then when I get warmed up and have a good sweat going, I'm reasonably comfortable. The first mile or so can be pretty cold, but after that I'm good to go.

• Glowiie1
    Glowiie1 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    ****My Favorite Running Gear*****

Having run a marathon in antarctica that had 30-40 deg temp swings (not to mention the cold *kitten* training runs leading up to it), I feel like I'm qualified to give some advice here :).

1. Cycling gear. That's right! Look into getting some cycling jerseys and cycling jackets. They have all the same water wicking and thermal properties you're already looking for, and it's easy to find wind/water proof jackets, plus they're extremely light weight. BEST OF ALL - They have pockets in the back to stick your gloves, hats, gels, etc. If you get a jersey, then you can even stick a light weight jacket in the back of it. Seriously - these are amazing for running when layers are required.
    2. Look for long sleeve shirts with "fist mitts." It's basically a cuff at the end of long sleeves that you can wrap around your fist, and it acts like a mitten. Then when you don't need it, just fold it back into place. No need for gloves! Sugoi and Pearl Izumi both make shirts and jackets with these.
    3. Suck it up. You can't expect your body to be happy in the same gear when you first start versus 20 minutes later. If you can suck it up for 5-10 min, then you won't have a lot of extra gear to carry around. Or you can always do an out and back as a warm up and drop your clothes off at your house/car/gym.

Hope that helps.
  • DavidMartinez2
    DavidMartinez2 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    If the longsleeve shirt is not working for you after the warmup you may want to look into getting sleeves. I am not a fan myself but many of my friends use them during the fall months. You may also want to look into getting some knuckle lights or a head lamp, daylight will be getting scarce soon.