How do you know about calories burnt?

Options
Hi guys, just wondering, I normally only ever workout in the gym or go for a slight jog! How do you kmow how many calories you burn in the gym? Obviously I know the machines tell you but that is just a rough estimate isn't it, as I have heard people say?

Replies

• pinkiezoom
    pinkiezoom Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I have a heart rate monitor, and it proved the gym machines really do over estimate the cals burned. MFP also over estimates, so just be careful not to eat back everything you think you have burned.
  • CMcD1445
    CMcD1445 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I use an activity tracker, the Fitbit force. I also use a heart rate monitor. Between these two items they give you a pretty good estimate of your daily caloric burn. Usually if I monitor the entire day with both, they are only 5% different. I use the Fitbit daily (I never take it off), but I only use the heart rate monitor a few times a week. (At minimum I wear it all day once a month). The machines can only give you a decent estimate if you're honest about your weight and height inputs into the machine. I believe the activity trackers are the best way to go long term.
  • asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    Options
    all of them are rough estimates. No exact way for the layman to calculate calories burned.
    That being said, for steady state cardio a HRM will be your best bet.

Otherwise most suggest using the machine # or MFP # and only using 1/2 - 3/4 of the "calories burned" estimate for your calculations.
  • dlj1405
    dlj1405 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Oh ok thanks guys :) anyone recommend a good HRM?