Sodium and exercise calories?

Options
I'm sorry that sounds really confusing but I can't figure out how else to explain it. If I eat 1200 calories a day I sometimes have like 100mg of sodium left. If I work out and burn 200 calories I do have to eat those back so I can be at a 1200 calories by the end of the day but I'm not sure how to eat those calories back without going over on my salt intake. Hopefully that makes a little better sense. I am sure some people will say cut out salt and minus what is in the food I eat I haven't added salt to anything in over a month.

Replies

• mochama12487
    mochama12487 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    It might be the types of foods that you are eating.... anything that is prepackaged, canned, or comes from a box will probably have added salt for preserving. I can't see your diary, so I do not know if that's the types of things you are eating. Maybe try to use steamed veggies verses canned.... when buying any canned goods, try to look to see if there is a no salt added or lower sodium option of what you are buying. These easy ways can help drastically reduce sodium intake.... there are days (albiet rare now because of the types of food's I've been eating due to moving and such) that I barely go over 1000 mg of sodium.... good luck!
  • amarie35
    amarie35 Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Try eating oatmeal, Shredded Wheat Cereals, unsalted dry roasted peanuts, rice cakes, dried fruits & veggies. They have little to no sodium & are really good for you.

Sodium is my weakness. I don't eat a lot of processed foods but I LOVE to eat spicy foods & I have a tendency to add a lot of hot sauce to my foods. I also love salads & dressings are really high in sodium.

Good luck in keeping your sodium level down. :bigsmile:
  • WWE_chick
    WWE_chick Posts: 86
    Options
    Thank you both :)

And yes to the pre packaged food......usually frozen dinner for lunch. When starting on MFP a month ago I didn't realize how much salt was in the frozen dinners......I've been more conscience lately but its still there.

Thanks again
  • BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Add extra virgin olive oil. Each tablespoon is 120 calories and no sodium
  • PoleBoy
    PoleBoy Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    the salt guidelines in the UK are "based on a 2000 calorie diet", so as you eat more you get a higher salt allowance. MFP doesn't do this though, so work out your average consumption and set your sodium for that