Heavy lifting for women

Options
Msaip
Msaip Posts: 482 Member
Let's Just say I were interested in starting this. I am a fluffy 216 pounds 25 5'6 mother of one. Where would I start? Do not have the means for a trainer but If I wanted to join a gym I think I could swing it. I have seen so many success stories with women doing strong lifts. I kill myself with cardio 6 times a week and have a hard time losing weight with medicines I am on for my underactive thyroid and depression. I am also pre diabetic and would really like to kick diabetes off the front porch! Any help is greatly appreciated!

Replies

• cad39too
    cad39too Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    try NROLW, Strong Lifts or Starting Strength, these are all great programmes for starting out.
  • willrun4bagels
    willrun4bagels Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    cad39too wrote: »
    try NROLW, Strong Lifts or Starting Strength, these are all great programmes for starting out.

^This. I just finished up 6 months of Stronglifts and am moving on to an intermediate program this week.
  • Lofteren
    Lofteren Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    Lifting is not gender specific. Men and women should lift the same way.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

^This. I just finished up 6 months of Stronglifts and am moving on to an intermediate program this week.

Yup I agree...I did SL for a year, got great results and moved to an intermediate program about 2 months ago.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/560459-stronglifts-5x5-summary
  • roxylola
    roxylola Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    Strong Curves is good - the reading is a bit woolly but the program works and there are a ton of exercises in the back of the book all broked down with instructions from beginner to advanced
  • JLClarkson
    Options
    Make sure you get someone to coach you or get a workout partner who knows how to lift properly. Doing a program is great, but make sure you are lifting safely so you don't hurt yourself. Flat shoes is a must as well for balance and stability. Reebok has great options. or just use your standard chucks!
  • JennEason1
    JennEason1 Posts: 32 Member
    Options

YES!!! Strong lifts is great! Love that program! Make sure you learn the lifts first before trying to lift too heavy. If you don't have the means for a coach or trainer, you can just watch you tube videos demonstrating the lifts. Proper form is a must. You will get great results with that program! Good Luck!
  • jesikalovesyou
    jesikalovesyou Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Msaip wrote: »
    Let's Just say I were interested in starting this. I am a fluffy 216 pounds 25 5'6 mother of one. Where would I start? Do not have the means for a trainer but If I wanted to join a gym I think I could swing it. I have seen so many success stories with women doing strong lifts. I kill myself with cardio 6 times a week and have a hard time losing weight with medicines I am on for my underactive thyroid and depression. I am also pre diabetic and would really like to kick diabetes off the front porch! Any help is greatly appreciated!

I have almost the same stats as you and I am looking into the same information! Good luck in your journey!
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Stronglifts 5X5... Watch videos for form and you should be fine.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    lol, nice mild necro. Not old enough for my gif though.
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options
    Just don't join Planet Fitness or you won't be able to do most of these programs to their fullest.
  • arrrrjt
    arrrrjt Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Joining a gym is a great start! Find one that fits your needs and schedule and go from there. It will be well invested to find a trainer (and make it clear what you would like help with), or a friend experienced in lifting, to work with in the beginning on form. Each program also has vast amounts of videos and information on proper technique you can look into on your own.
  • VegasFit
    VegasFit Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options
    Lofteren wrote: »
    Lifting is not gender specific. Men and women should lift the same way.

I agree with this. When I first started I relied on magazines for workouts and bodybuilding.com so I don't think you necessarily need a trainer. And there is nothing wrong with asking other members questions. And videos are great for learning form.